What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: North Star on January 02, 2017, 12:47:26 PM
I'll be watching them too when they're broadcast over here. There are reruns of the old episodes currently. :)

Excellent! I feel I really must rewatch some of the older episodes because it has been SUCH A LONG TIME!

I will say though, the idiosyncratic visual style of Sherlock, especially the on-screen text messages, is particularly prominent in The Six Thatchers. Perhaps it is overdone, but it does certainly look pretty cool if you ask me.

North Star

Quote from: jessop on January 02, 2017, 01:32:41 PM
Excellent! I feel I really must rewatch some of the older episodes because it has been SUCH A LONG TIME!

I will say though, the idiosyncratic visual style of Sherlock, especially the on-screen text messages, is particularly prominent in The Six Thatchers. Perhaps it is overdone, but it does certainly look pretty cool if you ask me.
Well I just noticed that they've moved to Netflix for the new series instead of the national broadcasting company. Good time to join for the free month, then.

Yeah, it's a long time since the Magnussen episode - which also made plenty of (good) use of the on-screen texts.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

drogulus

From iTunes I just snagged a 1991 Brit seven parter G.B.H. starring Michael Palin, Robert Lindsay, Julie Walters and Lindsay Duncan.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

André

Quote from: Spineur on December 05, 2016, 12:49:34 PM
Nicolas Le Floch, police officer of Louis XV, is the hero of a book serie by François Perot.
A TV serie in period costume has been made from these books.  I find them quite well made in superb french language.  Some ask which opera should they see to learn french.  I think this serie is pretty good, because the quality of the dialogue.

[asin]B00E8WL7GW[/asin]

Merci Spineur, je vais voir si c'est disponible ici. Jamais entendu parler avant. Le Floch, c'est breton, non?

In our household, 2016 was the year of The Crown and, of course, Season VI of Downton Abbey (last year in the States and GB). Really great TV.

Spineur

Quote from: André on January 02, 2017, 04:42:15 PM
Merci Spineur, je vais voir si c'est disponible ici. Jamais entendu parler avant. Le Floch, c'est breton, non?

In our household, 2016 was the year of The Crown and, of course, Season VI of Downton Abbey (last year in the States and GB). Really great TV.
If you DVD reader can handle zone 2.  There are no zone 1 or 0  copies as far as I know.

Todd

The second season of The Man in the High Castle.  Still not having read the source material, I'm guessing the second season strays from the original so much as to no longer make any comparisons meaningful.  First season success led to bigger budgets, which shows in various displays of Nazi technology and a grand Berlin and so forth.  This season, we get to meet the title character (Milton from Office Space, as it turns out), spend just a little bit more time with uncle Adolf, and one character gets to spend a prolonged period in an alternate universe, which ends up being a main theme in the show.  As such, viewers get to see pre-hippie protestors protesting nukes in the US juxtaposed against acid dropping German youth safely ensconced in the capital of the Reich contemplating whatever they contemplate.  The younger characters all become a bit less interesting, the big plot twist regarding one of them notwithstanding.  This season the most intriguing characters, by far, are some senior baddies: Chief Inspector Kido from Imperial Japan, and Obergruppenführer John Smith.  (I'm glad, because only Berdimuhamedow is perhaps more fun to type than Obergruppenführer in today's world.)  Joel de la Fuente's seriousness in the former role is impressive, and Rufus Sewell as the latter plays devious and nasty but devoted to something concrete and understandable perfectly.  The show has lost a bit of steam this season, probably since the novelty wore off, but any show that can make one root for Heinrich Himmler must be doing something right.  The homage to the War Room and the Big Board from Dr Strangelove is also a nice touch.  I'll watch season three.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

NikF

Stranger Things (2016) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4574334/

I'm going to watch a couple more episodes in the company of my best friend/studio assistant/arch-nemesis.

One of the things that show is touted as, is a homage to  "...Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter, Stephen King, Robert Zemeckis, and George Lucas, among others." Certainly the first episode hinted at that, when it featured a shot of a little girl sitting at the dinner table looking back and forth between arguing parents a la 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'. But one of the biggest examples was the propensity to shoot most of the scenes in this episode from the eyepoint of a child, very low down - that's part of Spielberg's gig. Having said that, if they manage to do the equivalent of the Close Encounters interview scene using the same one light setup http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/actors-richard-dreyfuss-francois-truffaut-bob-balaban-and-director-picture-id1673535?s=594x594 that Zsigmond used and to the same effect -

- I'll be impressed. :)

Otherwise, I'm finding it watchable and entertaining, albeit kind of undemanding.

e: also, if they obviously use anamorphic lenses (or process to look that way) it'll fit into the look of that era just fine.   8)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

vandermolen

My wife and I have recently watched the first two series of 'Poldark' (shameful I know) and the first series of 'The Missing'. It is a question of finding series that we both enjoy. Oddly enough my wife doesn't appreciate horror films of the 1940s-1960s.
  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Hollywood

I'll be watching the final season 5 of Hell on Wheels starting next week on the TNT channel here in Austria.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

drogulus

Quote from: Todd on January 09, 2017, 06:31:21 AM

The second season of The Man in the High Castle.  Still not having read the source material, I'm guessing the second season strays from the original so much as to no longer make any comparisons meaningful.  First season success led to bigger budgets, which shows in various displays of Nazi technology and a grand Berlin and so forth.  This season, we get to meet the title character (Milton from Office Space, as it turns out), spend just a little bit more time with uncle Adolf, and one character gets to spend a prolonged period in an alternate universe, which ends up being a main theme in the show.  As such, viewers get to see pre-hippie protestors protesting nukes in the US juxtaposed against acid dropping German youth safely ensconced in the capital of the Reich contemplating whatever they contemplate.  The younger characters all become a bit less interesting, the big plot twist regarding one of them notwithstanding.  This season the most intriguing characters, by far, are some senior baddies: Chief Inspector Kido from Imperial Japan, and Obergruppenführer John Smith.  (I'm glad, because only Berdimuhamedow is perhaps more fun to type than Obergruppenführer in today's world.)  Joel de la Fuente's seriousness in the former role is impressive, and Rufus Sewell as the latter plays devious and nasty but devoted to something concrete and understandable perfectly.  The show has lost a bit of steam this season, probably since the novelty wore off, but any show that can make one root for Heinrich Himmler must be doing something right.  The homage to the War Room and the Big Board from Dr Strangelove is also a nice touch.  I'll watch season three.

I read a very negative review of the second season, with which I don't agree. I thought it did not go downhill, and if you have Rufus Sewell, you better use Rufus Sewell. Himmler, fictionally, is a great touch, not merely shlock counterfactual but substantively related to the theme about different worlds and shlock counterfactual, so bravo!

I didn't like the first season so much because the main characters and actors were uninteresting. Now it's better, and I'll continue to watch, too.

Quote from: NikF on January 16, 2017, 10:30:58 AM

I'm going to watch a couple more episodes in the company of my best friend/studio assistant/arch-nemesis.

One of the things that show is touted as, is a homage to  "...Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter, Stephen King, Robert Zemeckis, and George Lucas, among others." Certainly the first episode hinted at that, when it featured a shot of a little girl sitting at the dinner table looking back and forth between arguing parents a la 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'. But one of the biggest examples was the propensity to shoot most of the scenes in this episode from the eyepoint of a child, very low down - that's part of Spielberg's gig. Having said that, if they manage to do the equivalent of the Close Encounters interview scene using the same one light setup http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/actors-richard-dreyfuss-francois-truffaut-bob-balaban-and-director-picture-id1673535?s=594x594 that Zsigmond used and to the same effect -

Otherwise, I'm finding it watchable and entertaining, albeit kind of undemanding.

e: also, if they obviously use anamorphic lenses (or process to look that way) it'll fit into the look of that era just fine.   8)

I watched and enjoyed it, but I wish I'd found the 2160p version first because now I have to watch it again.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

NikF

^ well, it's something to look forward to. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

drogulus

Quote from: NikF on January 17, 2017, 01:57:44 PM
^ well, it's something to look forward to. :)

I still have my health.

I'm in the middle of Love For Lydia, which I saw when it was on Masterpiece Theater in 1979. I remember Alastair Cooke introducing the show with some historical and biographical color, and I remember how much I enjoyed this strange story, a small town guy takes a mysterious rich girl ice skating in 1929, and then, he takes her ice skating, after which other things happen including he takes her ice skating. I love this story.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

With my younger sisters:

Sherlock series 4 (finished it)
A Series of Unfortunate Events season 1 (finished it)
Gravity Falls (currently three quarters of the way through season 1)

Gravity Falls is a brilliant show. I was surprised. :o

NikF

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_(TV_series)

Just watched the first episode of the 2016 Westworld. I got a 'Battlestar Galactica remake' kind of vibe from it. Why? I don't know. Will I watch more episodes? I don't know.
I don't know.

NikF

Quote from: NikF on January 16, 2017, 10:30:58 AM

I forgot to come back and post this screen cap from a later episode.

;D

NikF

Watched a couple of episodes of something called 'Timeless' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5511582/
Remember 'The Time Tunnel'? - that was more fun and the turtlenecks were cool. ;D

Ken B

Quote from: NikF on January 19, 2017, 03:50:33 PM
Watched a couple of episodes of something called 'Timeless' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5511582/
Remember 'The Time Tunnel'? - that was more fun and the turtlenecks were cool. ;D
Gaaaaaa! I do remember that, as a kid.

And turtlenecks are torture!

NikF

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: jessop on January 17, 2017, 02:39:09 PM
With my younger sisters:

Sherlock series 4 (finished it)
A Series of Unfortunate Events season 1 (finished it)
Gravity Falls (currently three quarters of the way through season 1)

Gravity Falls is a brilliant show. I was surprised. :o

Update: Gravity Falls just keeps getting better and better now that we are three episodes in to the second season.........very cleverly written. A note about the characters: there is nothing about their personalities which one wouldn't expect from a kid's show, however I feel that there is a bit more realism in the way the main characters interact with one another that wouldn't be seen so much in the shows I used to watch when I was younger. Aside from the problems they face during their supernatural adventures, these characters also have to deal with the same problems of growing up, reaching their early teens etc. How this show manages to combine all these themes as well as supernatural adventures that range from being hilariously goofy to creepy/scary without any of these elements being inconsequential makes for a very entertaining children's programme that really can be enjoyed by anyone who likes good storytelling and good character development. It is just as appealing to me as it is to my sisters, aged 15 and 9.

Also, for people who like hidden messages and ciphers I just read this on wikipedia and nowwww I understand what those letters and numbers are for!!!!!!!!

QuoteCiphers[edit]
At the end of every episode, there is a ciphered text in one of many substitution ciphers:

Season 1[edit]
Caesar cipher, hinted at by a voice in the opening sequence, which played backwards says "three letters back".[25] This cipher was used in episodes 1–6.
Atbash cipher, which is announced in an episode in Caesar cipher that it will be used this time.[25] This cipher was used in episodes 7–13.
A1Z26 cipher is a simple substitution cipher decoded by substituting the nth letter of the alphabet for the given number. It was used in episodes 14–19.
A combined cipher is a mix of two or more ciphers seen in the show. The first time such cipher has been used is at the end of "Gideon Rises". It's solved by converting to letters using the A1Z26 cipher, then flipping the letters with the Atbash cipher, and finally by using the Caesar cipher. Season 2's combined ciphers start with the Vigenère cipher.
A symbol cipher appears in the 2 part season finale. It also frequently appears in the journals. The symbols for Q, X, and Z are currently unknown.
Season 2[edit]
Vigenère cipher which is used in the end credits like all the other ciphers. The keyword for the cipher is hinted at by subtle clues in the episode. The voice at the end of the theme song hints at this cipher so when played backwards it says "Key Vigenère".
Season 2 also uses the symbol cipher mentioned above.

I guess I will have to go back and solve them for myself now.