What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamyrabyrd

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

SimonNZ

Been rewatching The Wire recently.

It was interesting to see just how strong season one starts out. They didn't need time to tweak or find the right ballance over a number of episodes, they just hit the ground running. Finished season two, which is most people's least favorite. I liked it a little more this time now that I know what they're setting up for later stories, but the S2 story arc does oddly run out of ideas near the end and just fizzles out rather than reaching any climax or denouement.

North Star

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 20, 2017, 01:21:45 PM
Been rewatching The Wire recently.

S2 story arc does oddly run out of ideas near the end and just fizzles out rather than reaching any climax or denouement.
You mean, like the American industry has done? ;)

Season 2 is one of my favourites, actually. It's a few years since the last time I saw the series, though.

Thread duty: After finishing my first ever run through Breaking Bad (and yes, it's great - up there with The Wire, Mad Men and Sopranos), starting Better Call Saul.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

George

Quote from: North Star on January 20, 2017, 01:33:53 PM
You mean, like the American industry has done? ;)

Season 2 is one of my favourites, actually. It's a few years since the last time I saw the series, though.

Thread duty: After finishing my first ever run through Breaking Bad (and yes, it's great - up there with The Wire, Mad Men and Sopranos), starting Better Call Saul.

You're in for a treat! I like Better Call Saul more than Breaking Bad.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Hollywood

I just started watching Bull. I loved Michael Weatherly in NCIS and I hated to see him leave that series. Now I can catch him again in Bull but it's not the same.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

drogulus

My favorite Wire season is the fourth, with the kids. I remember there was a scene somewhere in the first or second season where you very briefly see a bunch of children with book bags go by and in the fourth season it hit me that these were the children a few years later. It was just a couple of seconds.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I just finished watching Gravity Falls with my sisters and I can affirm you that it is the most perfect show I have ever seen.

Argh, I wan't to write something about it but I can't seem to find the right words..........

for a 'saturday morning kids cartoon' it has completely outshone every other TV show I can think of, which was completely and utterly unexpected.

I need some time to get over this.

Meanwhile, you guys can watch this review from the most difficult person to please on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/v/DSBL17PRhCs

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I am infatuated. Brace yourselves for some Gravity Falls related shitposting................

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Here are all of Mabel's sweaters arranged like a RAINBOW

ComposerOfAvantGarde

drogulus

Can the Patriots win without him?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

I've only watched the first episode of The Young Pope. It intrigues me, yes, but I don't think smoking cigarettes works as the sign of the demonic quite like it's supposed to, even if they are demonically smoked. Jude Law OTOH is demonic whatever he does, though I can't say why.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I am going to watch Twin Peaks later this year leading up to the upcoming new season. It will really be interesting to see just how much it has influenced Gravity Falls......

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on February 01, 2017, 04:02:10 PM
I wonder what you'll think, because the story and themes are a lot darker than the TV shows you've previously mentioned. Are you familiar with Lynch's work?  :)
Not yet familiar with his works. I rarely watch TV shows that aren't comedies really. I'd be interested to try something new.

The new erato

Season 5 & 6 of Homeland. Season 2 of Bosch. I like them all.

Todd

Quote from: drogulus on January 23, 2017, 12:20:52 PM
     I've only watched the first episode of The Young Pope. It intrigues me, yes, but I don't think smoking cigarettes works as the sign of the demonic quite like it's supposed to, even if they are demonically smoked. Jude Law OTOH is demonic whatever he does, though I can't say why.

It gets better, but no less odd, through the first five episodes.  Everything is just a bit off-kilter, and in more than a few places, Law is a very Trumpian pope, but then various morality tales can now be described as having Tumpian overtones whether they do or not.  Some of the bits will appeal more to Catholics, and the significance will be obvious only to them or non-Catholics who follow the Church.  A perfect example is Law's reinstatement of the use of the papal chair abandoned by Saint John Paul the Great.  The use of attractive women throughout is most enjoyable, and Law expressly acknowledging his handsomeness makes for two humorous scenes with two of the very attractive women.  The scenes with the gorgeous Greenland Prime Minster are among the most unusual television I've seen.  Clearly, they were inspired by Helle Thorning-Schmidt and the giddy, silly, flirty smiles she flashed around Barry, and her dance sequence at the end of the episode is both odd and beautiful.  The use of music in the opening sequence, which changes completely in the third episode to something surreal, is also off-kilter.  I don't know where the show is going, and want no spoilers, but I'll find out.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

I won't spoil anything by saying that Jude Law and many of the other actors in principal roles, those given something significant to do, continue to provide everything you want from an interesting group of characters.

I don't think the papal chair thingy could escape the notice of anyone interested enough to watch. The YP made his views about distance, formality and the rejection of popularity clear.

The interaction between "tithood" and "sainthood" is very much an Italian thing. I did think of Fellini and Visconti, in both style and preoccupations.

Spineur

Has anybody seen this swedish historical serie ?

[asin]B007EBDTQK[/asin]

lisa needs braces

Saw one of episode of "Shameless." Pretty damn good.

Jay F

The Mary Tyler Moore binge on Decades TV. It runs from Saturday, 2/4/17 at 1 PM eastern, through Monday, 2/6/17 at 7 AM.