What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crudblud

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on February 04, 2017, 01:51:15 PM
Season two episode one

I think doing two episodes a day is working well for me (apart from the feature length episodes 1 from both seasons), I'll probably almost have it finished by the end of the month. Then I'l' have the movie "Fire walk with me" to follow it up, before season 3 premieres  8)  :D

Made a second pilgrimage through Peaks and FWWM last year in preparation for the new season (so close!) and it is actually even better the second time around.

SimonNZ

Crudblud

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 06, 2017, 01:12:16 PM
Which are the "infamous" ones?

I don't know that they're infamous necessarily, but they're definitely the least popular of all. Around the middle of the second season, due to executive meddling by ABC, the plot was left directionless and the show kind of eased into a more general soap opera style. I still like those episodes a lot, but it's true that they aren't as good as the dark and mysterious and surreal stuff on either side.

Marc

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on February 06, 2017, 11:05:54 PM
Well it's almost that time now, I've only got two episodes to go (+ FWWM)  :o :o :o :o

For me, FWWM was a shattering experience (though not entirely unexpected).
Be prepared.

snyprrr

'Andy Griffith'... always 'Andy Griffith'...

Always :(

NikF

I watched the first couple of episodes of season two of The Expanse. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series) So far I'm not hugely impressed, although I think the first season took time to grow on me too.

I'm almost finished with Westworld (2016) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_(TV_series) There's a chick in it who has great eyes but she needs a longer lens - sometimes it appears that she's looking in a fun house *mirror.

Colony season two https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_(TV_series)
Meh.

Black Sails https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sails_(TV_series) more of the same as in previous seasons. Clara Paget has presence that stands out even when she has no lines, probably on account of her being a model. Taken as a whole I've found every season okay.

I'm watching too much TV.

e: * example, kind of. Here it's partly due to not wanting to compress the foreground (and background) too much because there are two others in the scene, along with consistency in how it's lit. It could be kind of jarring. http://i.imgur.com/gPsPvqR.jpg
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Ken B

The Brokenwood Mysteries

The Kiwi version of Midsummer Murders. Pleasant, low-key entertainment.

Karl Henning

Nothing new, of course, but still reliably amusing, and just what I need this week: Monty Python's Flying Circus. Seasons 2 & 3, so far.

I mean: "Gumby Brain Surgeon"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Drasko

Gilmore Girls revival was kind of ok, too much box-checking for my taste. The Young Pope I have three episodes left but I generally like it this far. The main doctrinal premise is quite interesting, various earthly sub-plots less so (especially the parents one). It's visually beautiful with superb supporting cast, Law strikes me a bit one-note.

Spineur

Quote from: Spineur on February 02, 2017, 10:30:43 AM
Has anybody seen this swedish historical serie ?

[asin]B007EBDTQK[/asin]
I bought this swedish serie and watched the first episode.  I enjoyed so much the french serie Nicolas le Floch, 18th century police officer of Louis XV that I looked for a similar serie where "scientific" techniques (mostly autopsies), were used to solve criminal affairs.  This one takes place in Stockholm at the end of the 18th century, and the police commissioner Daad, is a marine surgeon.
Despite these similarities the series are quite different.  The format first: Le Floch episodes have film.formats, 1:40 min while Anno 1790 have the usual 55min TV format.  Le Floch is a dashing young nobelman, also womenizer, while Daad as a marine surgeon has a more taciturn personnality.  Anno 1790, is darker while Le Floch serie based on excellent novels is more litterary.

Both series are extremely well made and got the ax after a few seasons: these period pieces do not fit any more the editorial image TVs want to project.  Quality and class arent a good recipe for TV series.

Cato

We are revisiting one of the best series in the last 10 years:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Drasko

Marseille is pretty bad. The city itself is beautifully shot, the cast is fine (haven't recognized Maruschka Detmers at first) and I'm a fan of Depardieu, and political thrillers is a fine genre but the script is simply dreadful, nothing but predictable plots and unbelievable characters. Made it to fourth episode but won't be finishing.

Mozart in the Jungle, the first half of the third season is basically very pretty Venice travelogue where Monica Bellucci sleepwalks through her part, second half of the season is bit better but 'the concert at penitentiary' episode is such a cliche. Generally enjoyable show, but less and less with each new season.

Bogey

Picked up these box sets and am working through them at a comfortable pace.  The Peter Gunn set is probably my favorite, but how I love revisiting the Columbo run.  I will probably snag the rest of Wild Wild West as well. 

And, had to have this one as I watched these episodes every Friday night as a kid.  They are not nearly as well written as The Twilight Zone, but these usually had more creatures or monsters and as a kid, that was what it was all about. 

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

George

Quote from: Bogey on February 26, 2017, 05:37:03 AM
And, had to have this one as I watched these episodes every Friday night as a kid.  They are not nearly as well written as The Twilight Zone, but these usually had more creatures or monsters and as a kid, that was what it was all about. 

I loved that one as a kid, too, Bill.

NikF

Quote from: Bogey on February 26, 2017, 05:37:03 AM

*lots of good stuff snipped*

8)

And welcome back. :)

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Bogey

Quote from: NikF on February 26, 2017, 05:46:12 AM
8)

And welcome back. :)

Quote from: George on February 26, 2017, 05:44:27 AM
I loved that one as a kid, too, Bill.

Thanks.  The opening is always fun to rewatch. It used to come on at 8 or 9 and then my friend and I would hope that a monster movie would follow.  If it was a Godzilla film, we would be a perfect evening of viewing. :D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

The new erato

Quote from: Draško on February 24, 2017, 02:55:41 AM

Marseille is pretty bad. The city itself is beautifully shot, the cast is fine (haven't recognized Maruschka Detmers at first) and I'm a fan of Depardieu, and political thrillers is a fine genre but the script is simply dreadful, nothing but predictable plots and unbelievable characters. Made it to fourth episode but won't be finishing.
I thought Depardieu was terrible as well and gave up after 1,5 episode on Netflix....