What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spineur

This week end, the first two episodes (out of 6) of

Michel Bouquet as Leopold Mozart Christoph Bantzer as Mozart, Arielle Dombale, Michel Aumont, Jean-Claude Brialy

A french serie from the eighties.

Tonight

[asin]B01MSJ1OO8[/asin]

Drasko

I liked the first season of Ray Donovan, but I'm struggling with the second. I like all Bourdain's series, this one, his first, included.

SimonNZ

Speaking of Ray Donovan...just finished season four, and enjoyed it very much:

milk

This has become a bit of an obsession. It's like, what if I was the sort of person who did this? I am not! I suppose this is the attraction for many: the escapist fantasy of freedom and being totally one's own. I definitely get attracted to escapism and to what's opposite - because I can not fix or build anything and have never been much of an outdoors person. This makes me think if I had discovered this idea when I was 16, I might have ended up differently. Anyway, this is a good show. It's not fake. The people are living very real lives. They're pretty happy for the most part living in the last place in America where one can live like this. It's pretty cool. I always wonder if any of them like music in their little cabins. I suppose it'd be boring showing people listening to music. John Luther Adams was in Alaska for a while, but I don't know his lifestyle. There are many ways to live there including (small) city life. Incidentally, I've a friend who periodically heads off to Juno. Looks beautiful but remote and towny. Any Alaskans on this site?   

Todd

I watched as much as I could each night of The American Experience's The Great War, produced to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the US entry into the war.  I always nod off well before 11:00, so I only caught about two-thirds of each episode.  Not as comprehensive in scale as the ten part The First World War from Channel 4 from 2003, the newer show does a deep dive, for television, about the war.  Pershing is handled pretty well, and Wilson is presented with some dubious statements, some of them fawning, but also some much needed criticism.  On the one hand, one talking head states that Wilson was the most religious President ever (more than one-time minister James Garfield?), and there is some discussion about the supposedly visionary nature of his Fourteen Points, but at least one commentator rightly notes that Wilson was one of the most repressive Presidents this country has had.  There was one particularly irksome statement by one presenter about how the Great War saw a battle with the most American casualties ever, a rather anti-factual statement that ignores the whole Civil War thing.  There is some footage of the costs of war, with shell shocked soldiers, and soldiers with up to four limbs amputated, as well as necessarily light coverage of the flu pandemic (light given the format and duration of the show).  And the role of propaganda also got some much needed attention.  Thankfully, we have advanced beyond its use today.  The show is presented with more or less standard outlook on the US entry into the war and the role of the US in the world, and it has a nicely modern cadre of presenters sure to cover a diverse array of viewpoints, which is to be expected from the show.  It's good to see one of the most important series of events in human history get a bit more attention, but it lacks the snap and pizazz and uber-bad guys of the sequel, so that will continue to get more attention.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Jelly_Belly

SimonNZ

Sherlock, series four

which I enjoyed much more than some others seem to, and thought that the last episode might have been the best so far and hope to see much more of this villain in the future

George

Season 3, Episode One is off to a slow start, but I am SO glad this show is back!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Sergeant Rock

Community season 6 (second time for me, first time for Mrs. Rock).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

71 dB

Blu-ray: I watched Season 1 of Better Call Saul and re-watched Breaking Bad.

TV: Legion Season 1 (is this the weirdest and most psychedelic show ever?).
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

George

Also watching Season 3 of News Radio. Second time for me, first time for my girlfriend.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Person Of Interest, season five
Limitless, season one

the end of the line for both series, which in both cases is a pity

SonicMan46

Susan & I are watching Major Crimes - about to finish Season 4 - there is a Season 5, but not sure if we need to pay?  I'm rewatching Game of Thrones and have just started Season 5 - trying to 'catch up' on that one also - a few other favorites of ours may be coming out w/ new Seasons, i.e. Bosch and Longmire (Susan is infatuated w/ Henry, the Native American character).  Dave :)

drogulus

I'm watching Better Call Saul and The Americans, which continue to be compelling. I'll miss Frank Langella, if he's really gone. I hope we get more Margo Martindale.

On Saul, one of the greats from Breaking Bad, character and actor, is back. Happy happy....

I'm on the third season of Bosch, not at the level of my faves, but entertaining.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

bwv 1080

Quote from: Todd on April 13, 2017, 05:54:46 AM

There was one particularly irksome statement by one presenter about how the Great War saw a battle with the most American casualties ever, a rather anti-factual statement that ignores the whole Civil War thing.

Not incorrect - there were 23k union and 28k confederate casualities at Gettysburg, the bloodiest engagement of the Civil War whereas the Meuse-Argonne offensive cost the US 124k casualities.  Now Gettysburg was three day and the Meuse Argonne 47, but that goes to the changes in warfare where set piece battles of the course of a day or two became obsolete.

bwv 1080

Todd

Quote from: bwv 1080 on April 27, 2017, 02:40:28 PM
Not incorrect - there were 23k union and 28k confederate casualities at Gettysburg, the bloodiest engagement of the Civil War whereas the Meuse-Argonne offensive cost the US 124k casualities.  Now Gettysburg was three day and the Meuse Argonne 47, but that goes to the changes in warfare where set piece battles of the course of a day or two became obsolete.

Warfare had changed, true, but a forty-seven day full front offensive that lasted until armistice is not really just a battle, and the show did not provide proper context (army sizes, objectives, etc).  On a hair-splitting basis, it can be construed as accurate, but that hair can be further split.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 27, 2017, 08:02:42 AMa few other favorites of ours may be coming out w/ new Seasons, i.e. Bosch...Dave :)

Quote from: drogulus on April 27, 2017, 02:23:28 PM
I'm on the third season of Bosch, not at the level of my faves, but entertaining.

I did not know the third season had started. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Me, I just finished season 1 of Wynonna Earp.

Frustrating sound at times (especially hard to understand Doc Holliday; I wish all the episodes I've collected had subtitles) but enjoyable nonetheless.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bwv 1080

Quote from: Todd on April 27, 2017, 02:52:01 PM

Warfare had changed, true, but a forty-seven day full front offensive that lasted until armistice is not really just a battle, and the show did not provide proper context (army sizes, objectives, etc).  On a hair-splitting basis, it can be construed as accurate, but that hair can be further split.

But it's still a higher casualty toll than the entire Overland Campaign or any of the other Campaigns in the ACW

drogulus

I just ordered the box set of travel shows by Michael Palin. Some I've seen, others will be new to me. I saw the one where he listens to a song by an elderly Bhutanese songwriter, then he sings his own song. What song would that be? Yes, it would be that one.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0