What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: drogulus on April 27, 2017, 03:49:29 PM
     I just ordered the box set of travel shows by Michael Palin. Some I've seen, others will be new to me. I saw the one where he listens to a song by an elderly Bhutanese songwriter, then he sings his own song. What song would that be? Yes, it would be that one.
I got that, the complete shows, cheap a year ago. A very mixed bag, but some really unusual stuff. We watch an episode now and then, working our way through.

drogulus

Quote from: Ken B on April 27, 2017, 04:14:56 PM
I got that, the complete shows, cheap a year ago. A very mixed bag, but some really unusual stuff. We watch an episode now and then, working our way through.

In addition to being my favorite Python, Palin strikes me as a good human being that likes other human beings and is genuinely interested in them. Funny, I'm not very much like that but I like people who are.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Hollywood

I have been interested in the life of Wyatt Earp for eons. So when I saw the post here about the TV series Wynonna Earp I had to check out what it's all about. I read that this series is about "Wynonna Earp, the great grand daughter of Wyatt Earp...", etc.  Funny, since Wyatt Earp didn't have any children but somehow ended up having a great grand daughter. I know that this series idea comes from IDW Comics, but you would think that they could have been a bit more historically correct. At least say Wynonna Earp is a great grand daughter of Virgil Earp (who actually had a daughter named Nellie and she had children).
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Todd

Always a year behind, I finished season four of The Americans last night.  The show slowed the pace a bit from the prior seasons, which is all to the good.  A couple long-standing characters leave under just-right circumstances, one of them in a cold and brilliant scene.  And now the show is even more salient, what with Russian bad guys.  (Russians are almost as reliable as bad guys as Nazis in Hollywood.)  Keri Russell continues to draw the eye to the screen most effectively.  Good stuff.  Fortunately (?), this show isn't huge, so I will be able to avoid spoilers for this season until I can watch it next year at this time.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Hollywood on April 27, 2017, 11:26:27 PM
I have been interested in the life of Wyatt Earp for eons. So when I saw the post here about the TV series Wynonna Earp I had to check out what it's all about. I read that this series is about "Wynonna Earp, the great grand daughter of Wyatt Earp...", etc.  Funny, since Wyatt Earp didn't have any children but somehow ended up having a great grand daughter. I know that this series idea comes from IDW Comics, but you would think that they could have been a bit more historically correct. At least say Wynonna Earp is a great grand daughter of Virgil Earp (who actually had a daughter named Nellie and she had children).

Sorry to get your hopes up. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, it has nothing to do with the real Earp and his family. It's just a silly comic book premise about demons and demon slayers, using a well-known name for attention. But it's very well produced and acted with a good dose of humor to alleviate the horror.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Jay F

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 05, 2017, 04:50:18 PM
So you don't enjoy laughing? ???

If only sitcoms were funny enough to laugh at.

I am about to start Season 3 of Bosch, courtesy of Amazon Prime.

NikF

The Leftovers. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leftovers_(TV_series)

As I'm about to watch this I'm wondering how it's going to end. I don't need to have the disappearances explained and so I hope it's not all tied-up in a neat bow for the sake of closure.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SonicMan46

Major Crimes - Season 5 - bought this season tonight off Amazon - we're now streaming the first few episodes! Dave :)

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Hollywood

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

SimonNZ

and just started:

André

Great series !

Unfortunately seasons 2 and 3 are not yet translated or subtitled. My understanding of colloquial provincial English is too spotty, and here one needs to understand every word.

Ken B

The Knick

Maybe better described as what I am not watching. I gave up on it partway through season 1. A promising premise (NY hospital around 1900) wasted.

Cato

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 12, 2017, 12:55:25 AM

EXCELLENT fun!
Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on May 12, 2017, 05:14:58 PM
Nothing currently anything but I know what I'll be obsessively watching in a few weeks!   ::)

(the new Twin Peaks)

Amen!  Are you re-watching the original series?

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

SimonNZ

Quote from: Cato on May 12, 2017, 06:14:36 PM
EXCELLENT fun!

Yeah! A friend lent it to me months ago but I was so put off by the rom-com packaging that I almost didn't try it. But once I did and discovered that the thing it most closely resembles is the French film Amelie I watched two discs in one sitting.

Drasko

Finally finished Mad Men, took me something like ten years. I really like the show but most of the characters are so annoying that I couldn't watch more than about one season every other year.

The Newsroom, first season is bit preachy and smug but second and third are pretty good.

My first foray into Doctor Who territory, and I like it so far. Probably should have started with season one of the reboot but Netflix has it from here and it doesn't seem to matter much.

milk

The Keepers: heartbreaking doc series.

What's gone wrong with people these days? Seems like mass infantilization with the endless popularity of super hero fluff.