What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

I'd been remiss in my It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia viewing habits, so I did several binge watching sessions to get through season eleven.  After season seven, it has become somewhat repetitive, more than occasionally in a meta way, but the best episodes are still top notch.  The sixth season Christmas episode is raunchier than Bad Santa and packs in more laughs than the movie in half the time.  Guillermo del Toro's cameos are fun, and every once in a while, the show has very important messages to impart, such as the pointed description of how democracy works.  I love Mac's impassioned defense of his position.

https://www.youtube.com/v/oPFsNtxH7FA
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

recently:

The Americans, seasons 2 and 3
The Durrells, season 1
The Magicians, season 1
The Hollow Crown, "season" 2

One of the strengths of the first part of The Hollow Crown was that it presented the plays near uncut. And while the second part still has much to recommend it, unfortunately the heaviness of the cuts - perhaps as little as half the text of the three Henry VI plays - make it ultimately a missed opportunity.

nodogen

Ripper Street
starts tonight; fifth and final series
No Drake though, which is a great shame.

Drasko

Quote from: nodogen on June 19, 2017, 04:16:02 AM
Ripper Street
starts tonight; fifth and final series
No Drake though, which is a great shame.

The second season of Ripper Street is one of my favorite seasons of any series I've ever seen on TV. The finale with Drake vs Jedediah Shine fight is edge of the seat. Third season came as bit of a disappointment after the second. Haven't yet seen fourth and fifth seasons.

Peaky Blinders - season 3 - your favorite Birmingham gang gets entangled with the Secret Service and mad Russian aristocrats in underhand selling of armored tanks to White Russians during the revolution. Hell ensues.

Black Sails - 4th and final season - fine example of series that didn't start particularly promising and then got just better and better. The evolution of Luke Arnold's (who?) Long John Silver character was one of the most impressive feats, Toby Stephens also excellent as monomaniacal Captain Flint. Showrunners exhibited a fine touch in blending historical facts and fiction.

Atelier - (Underwear is the title for Japanese market) currently my favorite Netflix series. It's kind of Ugly Betty meets Devil wears Prada - Japanese style. Shame there was just one season made.

nodogen

Quote from: Draško on June 19, 2017, 05:53:56 AM

entangled with the Secret Service and mad Russian aristocrats in underhand selling of armored tanks to White Russians during the revolution. Hell ensues.

Surely this should be in the Trump thread? 😋

NikF

Quote from: Draško on June 19, 2017, 05:53:56 AM

Black Sails - 4th and final season - fine example of series that didn't start particularly promising and then got just better and better. The evolution of Luke Arnold's (who?) Long John Silver character was one of the most impressive feats, Toby Stephens also excellent as monomaniacal Captain Flint. Showrunners exhibited a fine touch in blending historical facts and fiction.

I watched Black Sails  to the end, which is a rarity for me (to this day I've seen every episode of 'Mad Men' - apart from the final one) and yes, I think as a series it grew and then gained consistency. And yeah, a good, restrained performance by Stephens.

Atelier - I haven't even heard of this, which is strange, because I still know a lot of people who would watch something like that simply to pick away and finds faults in the depiction of such a scenario. ;D 
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 29, 2017, 07:59:10 AM
Wife and I have finished watching the newest seasons of TV series that we enjoy together - now trying to find one that I might enjoy, so decided on Dr. Who starting w/ the relaunched 2005 season - watched the first 4 episodes - enjoyed, but not sure 'how long' I'll last since the series is still on-going w/ a dozen or so 'Doctors' in the role - should I just continue or be selective?  Thanks - Dave :)

Well, if you liked it continue. Doctor Who is generally a show where you either love it or you don't. It IS very interesting to see the different Doctors and such, but if you don't like the premise/show, it won't matter. They have a certain level of consistency, with some really good episodes. I don't think watching one here or there will work as well. You'll miss references.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

If viewing two consecutive episodes last night qualifies for this thread:  Star Trek

Last night I watched "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" and "Dagger of the Mind's Eye."  While there is an element of bemusement to my watching these (as I observed in the latter script that Kirk manages both to thrust himself recklessly into harm's way, and to carry a nubile crewmember into a private cabin) I am enjoying the show and its . . . enterprise, on the series' own terms, I think.  James Gregory (The Manchurian Candidate) is an apt guest for "Dagger of the Mind's Eye."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Drasko

Quote from: NikF on June 19, 2017, 08:28:14 AM
Atelier - I haven't even heard of this, which is strange, because I still know a lot of people who would watch something like that simply to pick away and finds faults in the depiction of such a scenario. ;D

That wouldn't be much of a task, it doesn't slant much toward realism, even in a way it's shot: all golden hour and soft filters. Also, female lead looks about twelve (even though she's probably mid twenties) and some of the naivety of the story make me wonder what exactly was the target demographic, but then what makes Japanese culture so fascinating (for me at least) is that it seems most of the time not like different culture but a different planet altogether.

drogulus

I'm going to start watching The OA soon, as I'm a fan of Brit Marling and her directing partner Zal Batmanglij. I don't have much idea what it will be about.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

NikF

Quote from: Draško on June 19, 2017, 11:15:56 AM
That wouldn't be much of a task, it doesn't slant much toward realism, even in a way it's shot: all golden hour and soft filters. Also, female lead looks about twelve (even though she's probably mid twenties) and some of the naivety of the story make me wonder what exactly was the target demographic, but then what makes Japanese culture so fascinating (for me at least) is that it seems most of the time not like different culture but a different planet altogether.

Perhaps the target of demographic is 'lovers of non-threatening women'.

But yeah, the Japanese culture does seem from a different planet, although in the main I've found them as open and friendly as hell.
This time last year I was at a concert (Schubert/Brahms/Beethoven) and the three seats to my right were suddenly taken up by giggling, excited Japanese girls - students, about 19-20 - who frequently turned around and talked to someone in the row behind and about half a dozen seats away. They did it every few seconds. I looked and saw it was a young Japanese dude. So I introduced myself and told the girl nearest me I'd be happy to change seats with their friend so they could all sit together. Their response was amazing. And when I passed the guy he nearly shook my hand off. ;D I've seen the three girls at other concerts since then and they always stop me to talk for a while. And even if we're at opposite sides of the concert hall they all wave madly until I acknowledge them. :laugh: I know some people don't like the Japanese, but I've always found them cool.

Anyway, I'm going to ask around if anyone has seen Atelier. Maybe they have and just haven't mentioned it because I don't watch a lot of television.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on June 19, 2017, 11:48:04 AMalthough in the main I've found them as open and friendly as hell.
So, not very? 0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

After dinner tonight, we watched the last episode of True Detective season 1 (started the season a week ago): the second viewing for me, Mrs. Rock's first time.

[asin]B00KS3XY20[/asin]

Afterwards we ordered the second season from Amazon. Anyone have any comments, pro or con, about this sophomore effort?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Drasko

Quote from: NikF on June 19, 2017, 11:48:04 AM
Perhaps the target of demographic is 'lovers of non-threatening women'.

;D

NikF

Quote from: Draško on June 19, 2017, 12:55:25 PM

;D

See, I'm not surprised you've chosen Fiorentino in 'The Last Seduction' to illustrate your point. She would terrify the faint of heart. And I'll add that at least once in his life a man should have his soul crushed by such a character. I mean, what ya livin' for?  ;D

e: look at her - you would gladly go to your doom.  :laugh:

SimonNZ

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 19, 2017, 12:25:28 PM

Afterwards we ordered the second season from Amazon. Anyone have any comments, pro or con, about this sophomore effort?

I really liked it, perhaps even more so than the mostly superb first season. Its an entirely different dynamic with a different team, and they're deliberately making something that doesn't look at all like just a retread of the first season, which I think might have been a minus for some viewers.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 19, 2017, 03:19:56 PM
I really liked it, perhaps even more so than the mostly superb first season. Its an entirely different dynamic with a different team, and they're deliberately making something that doesn't look at all like just a retread of the first season, which I think might have been a minus for some viewers.

Thanks. It gives me hope  :)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Drasko

Quote from: NikF on June 19, 2017, 01:12:01 PM
See, I'm not surprised you've chosen Fiorentino in 'The Last Seduction' to illustrate your point. She would terrify the faint of heart. And I'll add that at least once in his life a man should have his soul crushed by such a character. I mean, what ya livin' for?  ;D

Well, full on soul crushing can be bit unpleasant, but occasional bruising of the ego is more than healthy.  :)

Quotee: look at her - you would gladly go to your doom.  :laugh:

With glee!  :laugh:

To get back to topic, the Netflix series that I'm most looking forward is being released later this week. It's titled Glow and it's Alison Brie (of Mad Men) in the world of 80s female wrestling. That just can't be bad. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/v/AZqDO6cTYVY

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 19, 2017, 08:50:59 AM
Well, if you liked it continue. Doctor Who is generally a show where you either love it or you don't. It IS very interesting to see the different Doctors and such, but if you don't like the premise/show, it won't matter. They have a certain level of consistency, with some really good episodes. I don't think watching one here or there will work as well. You'll miss references.

Thanks Neal - just watched Episode 8 of Season 1 - same Doctor and blond gal - some I've like others were ho-hum - will continue and at least get to another Doctor.  Dave :)

André

Chick telly stuff. My wife loved it. A second season is planned  ???