What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

American Gods https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods_(TV_series)

There are eight episodes of this. I've watched the first seven. And that's where I'll stop. I did the same not long ago with the end of 'The Leftovers'  en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leftovers_(TV_series)
I'd rather watch reruns of The Phil Silvers Show, Hill St. Blues, The Twilight Zone or almost anything by Dennis Potter.  In fact, I was talking to someone recently about 'Play for Today' https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_for_Today and the writers and directors who featured in that series. There was was some good stuff there.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Drasko

The second season (and final so far, I think) of The Knick is less exciting than the first and drags quite a bit comparatively. It's still superbly produced, acted and directed.

Glow is comedy/drama about making of 80s female wrestling tv show. It's ok, watchable. Lots of perms, high cut leotards and leg warmers.

SimonNZ

Finished:

The Missing, season two

Started:

Broadchurch, season three

George

Quote from: Draško on July 01, 2017, 04:38:22 AM

Glow is comedy/drama about making of 80s female wrestling tv show. It's ok, watchable. Lots of perms, high cut leotards and leg warmers.

Would you say it is more comedy than drama?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Drasko

Quote from: George on July 01, 2017, 05:49:27 AM
Would you say it is more comedy than drama?

I don't really know. I'd probably say it's more a drama because I rarely found it laugh out loud funny, but it is funny and it is made in that 30 min. episode format which is exclusively (I think) a comedy format. That horrible term dramedy is probably the most fitting.

George

Quote from: Draško on July 01, 2017, 08:25:31 AM
I don't really know. I'd probably say it's more a drama because I rarely found it laugh out loud funny, but it is funny and it is made in that 30 min. episode format which is exclusively (I think) a comedy format. That horrible term dramedy is probably the most fitting.

Ok, thanks.

Todd

Season four of Silicon Valley.  The show has lost its mojo.  There are still some funny bits, and some outstanding jabs at some tech (eg, VR is vaporware), and Haley Joel Osment is excellent in his role, but it's tired.  Without TJ Miller, I don't know how the show succeeds going forward.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Todd on July 03, 2017, 06:06:53 AM
Season four of Silicon Valley.  The show has lost its mojo.  There are still some funny bits, and some outstanding jabs at some tech (eg, VR is vaporware), and Haley Joel Osment is excellent in his role, but it's tired.  Without TJ Miller, I don't know how the show succeeds going forward.
I'm worried that they don't seem to have much of an idea for big plots aside from the same repeating arc of build a startup, lose it. There's a tension between the satire and the '90s-style nothing-ever-changes sitcom pattern.

George

Guys, how are the earlier seasons of Silicon Valley? Being that I am 46 and know nothing about computers, I assumed the show wouldn't appeal to me.

Karl Henning

I'm savoring a gradual survey of Batman.  I don't know that I ever heard of the supervillain The Mad Hatter, before.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2017, 07:47:31 AM
I'm savoring a gradual survey of Batman.  I don't know that I ever heard of the supervillain The Mad Hatter, before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3vjhSTsKfg

Todd

Quote from: George on July 03, 2017, 07:44:47 AM
Guys, how are the earlier seasons of Silicon Valley? Being that I am 46 and know nothing about computers, I assumed the show wouldn't appeal to me.

The first two seasons are excellent, the third is a step down, and this season another step down.  You don't have to be especially tech savvy to enjoy the show, but it helps to be familiar with some of the better known personalities in the industry.  If you have any experience with bankers and investors, there's that angle to enjoy, too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Quote from: George on July 03, 2017, 07:44:47 AM

Possibly, but it's really a case of a compression algorithm that could just as easily be an egg salad recipe. The show is a satire of tech mogulosity. I never thought I had to know what they were talking about, I don't even know how much is gobbledegook.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Autumn Leaves

Recently watched:

Watched this show for the first time this weekend (as I haven't "watched TV" for about 20 years I missed it when it was originally shown).
I viewed 2 random episodes from Netflix (not sure which series #/episodes sorry) but found this to be pretty good fun in a cringeworthy sort of way - will try to see more of this show at some point.

Kontrapunctus

New seasons of Orphan Black, The Tunnel, House of Cards, Prime Suspect, and Broadchurch, to name a few.

George

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

George

Quote from: NikF on July 16, 2017, 07:35:40 AM
I don't laugh all that often, but I do laugh at that.

Yeah, it's pretty, pretty, pretty good.  $:)

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).