What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on August 06, 2017, 03:12:54 PM
Which reminds me: which episode does one find Batman and Robin in a library, where they ask the librarian: "Have you seen any strangely dressed people in here today?"  $:)

I recall it being a Riddler episode!  ;)

I watched that not long since: "The Ring of Wax"/"Give 'Em the Axe" . . . the Riddler filches the effigy of Batman from Madame Soleil's Wax Museum, because the wax imported from Cognac, France is a universal solvent . . . he uses it to break into the Library's vault to steal their prize antiquity, Lost Treasures of the Incas.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Enjoyed the ninja infused Daredevil from Marvel a bit more.  This has me "just" sticking with it.  I'll Luke Cage next.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

NikF

Last night I watched four episodes of Game of Thrones in the company of people who audibly gasp and say stuff like Oh. My. God."
It's my own fault.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

The Bookworm is terrific. “You abandoned child!”

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

I think that the intensity which Roddy McDowell brought to his supervillain stands out because of the immediate contrast of King Tut, which Victor Buono (not to say anything against the performance, mind) executed on the hammy side.

("The hammy side" is, of course, arguably more in harmony with the show.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Over the past 3 months, seasons 1-4 of Ray Donovan.
A guilty pleasure. Like all these things, it's low on plausibility, and often drags, but overall I liked it. It's very slickly produced, well acted, and has some wry humour.

Ghost Sonata

David Hare's made for TV MI5 political thriller/action drama trilogy : most thoroughly recommended - with the likes of Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham-Carter, Christopher Walken, Rachel Weisz and (most of all) Bill Nighy, among others (!) how can you go wrong?   Gripping, trenchant, wry, witty, revelatory, thought-provoking, did I mention fun...yes, fun, I am going to have to see them again so I can add still more positive adjectives.

[asin]B005DJ7AYC[/asin]
[asin]B00LLQ46N4[/asin]
[asin]B00LLQ45EO[/asin]
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Omicron9

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on August 24, 2017, 10:56:25 AM
David Hare's made for TV MI5 political thriller/action drama trilogy : most thoroughly recommended - with the likes of Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham-Carter, Christopher Walken, Rachel Weisz and (most of all) Bill Nighy, among others (!) how can you go wrong?   Gripping, trenchant, wry, witty, revelatory, thought-provoking, did I mention fun...yes, fun, I am going to have to see them again so I can add still more positive adjectives.

[asin]B005DJ7AYC[/asin]
[asin]B00LLQ46N4[/asin]
[asin]B00LLQ45EO[/asin]

Thumbs down from me. The modern equivalent of 50s hysteria movies about reds under beds IMO.

George

Just finished a pass through Curb Your Enthusiasm and eagerly awaiting the new season (9.)

Even more so, I am looking forward to season 2 of Vice Principals, out September 17.

In the meantime, my girlfriend and I have been working through Three's Company and are nearing the end of the penultimate season. It's simple, silly and the writing relies almost entirely on misunderstandings that lead to funny results, but it has it's charm. We've been looking for another series to watch, though. We tried Drew Carey, but neither of us liked it. Now we are watching Just Shoot Me, which she likes more than me. The search continues for great sitcoms to watch....I'd appreciate any suggestions.   
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Ken B on August 25, 2017, 05:19:49 AM
Thumbs down from me. The modern equivalent of 50s hysteria movies about reds under beds IMO.

hmmm, but they are under our beds...if latter-day Russians might be so termed...if not in bed with our (so-called) president. 

Of course, you don't mean reds specifically, but metaphorically.  Sorry you did not like it:  the post 9/11 unease and malaise the series depicts and the issues re: surveillance (computer and otherwise), personal freedom, and rendition camps, to say nothing of government's grasping at the status quo, seem hardly hysterical to me, but real, contemporary, and practically documentary.  The moral dilemma imposed on its central character, MI5 agent Johnny Worricker, should be of universal interest and appeal.  Script and acting are first rate - I think you should give it another chance! Edit: maybe skip ahead to Turks and Caicos if you did not see the second in the series.
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

cilgwyn

This 70's tv series is probably too politically incorrect to be repeated these days. And it isn't!! ;D One review describes the bar in the pub,which this sitcom revolves around,as containing every stereotype in the 70's sitcom book. Why watch it? I just like Hylda Baker. She just cracks me,up! I've got a Region 2 dvd release,by the way. I remember back in the 70's she was very popular in the UK. Rich and quite famous. Every mimic worth his salt seemed to be doing an impersonation of her. In real life she actually sounded a bit posh! The kind of 70's tv you watch with the curtains closed,and someone at the door,keeping watch!

NikF

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 25, 2017, 07:07:34 AM
This 70's tv series is probably too politically incorrect to be repeated these days. And it isn't!! ;D One review describes the bar in the pub,which this sitcom revolves around,as containing every stereotype in the 70's sitcom book. Why watch it? I just like Hylda Baker. She just me,up! I've got a Region 2 dvd release,by the way. I remember back in the 70's she was very popular in the UK. Rich and quite famous. Every mimic worth his salt seemed to be doing an impersonation of her. In real life she actually sounded a bit posh! The kind of 70's tv you watch with the curtains closed,and someone at the door,keeping watch!

There's a name from the past, but as you know she was once almost a part of the British TV/entertainment landscape. I remember her most from her role in a favourite film 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' - a fine piece of casting.
But yeah, that show would today rustle a few feathers. There was a period where everything from 'Mind Your Language' to Spike Milligan and Eric Sykes in 'Curry & Chips' was routinely programmed.
Anyway, hope you enjoy watching it. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

cilgwyn

Still watching it!  I watched the last episode of Series 1 last night. Raucous 70's humour. About as un pc as it gets. Some of the lines had my eyebrows shooting up to the top of my forehead. I think Hylda was very funny,though,which makes it worth watching,imho. Like the best clowns,though;what was going on behind the wobbly tv scenery wasn't so funny. A broken leg. An unsuccessful attempt to sue the tv company,and worse still;the first symptoms of enroaching alzheimers! Just a few episodes of this,her last tv vehicle,to go,and the end of her career!

SimonNZ

Finished the whole Dexter saga, and for the most part enjoyed the ride. But they seriously fumbled the final season after setting up a good multi-season story arc of an ever expanding whirlwind of collateral damage, and must have decided they didn't like how dark it was getting or the inevitable conclusion. The final episodes look like they were second guessing themselves at every turn or had some major difference of opinion between writers and producers. Pity.

Jennifer Carpenter was absolutely brilliant. And among the many big name guest stars along the way I especially liked Julia Stiles' character.

SonicMan46

The Roosevelts by Ken Burns - seven part 14 hour documentary is the usual Burn's fashion - Susan & I have been streaming from Netflix - just outstanding; synopsis below - highly recommended.  Dave :)

Quote"It is the first time in a major documentary television series that their individual stories have been interwoven into a single narrative. This seven-part, fourteen hour film follows the Roosevelts for more than a century, from Theodore's birth in 1858 to Eleanor's death in 1962. Over the course of those years, Theodore would become the 26th President of the United States and his beloved niece, Eleanor, would marry his fifth cousin, Franklin, who became the 32nd President of the United States. Together, these three individuals not only redefined the relationship Americans had with their government and with each other, but also redefined the role of the United States within the wider world. The series encompasses the history the Roosevelts helped to shape: the creation of National Parks, the digging of the Panama Canal, the passage of innovative New Deal programs, the defeat of Hitler, and the postwar struggles for civil rights at home and human rights abroad. It is also an intimate human story about love, betrayal, family loyalty, personal courage and the conquest of fear." Source

Spineur

This documentary/film was a mini-serie re-enacting the french revolution made by Stellio Lorenzi in 1964.  It has been edited by the national archives in a 2 dvd set with few cuts.  The actors are very very good and the subject is treated with much historical accuracy.  It is 100 times better than Wajda film "Danton".  The realization involves a lot of means and I would not have thought possible to make such a film in the early days of television

[asin]B0027UMF6I[/asin]

Only negative: the sound isnt very good.

Hollywood

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 02, 2017, 09:48:23 AM
The Roosevelts by Ken Burns - seven part 14 hour documentary is the usual Burn's fashion - Susan & I have been streaming from Netflix - just outstanding; synopsis below - highly recommended.  Dave :)

I must check this one out. I love Ken Burns works and since F.D.R. is one of my famous distant cousins (6th cousin, 3 times removed) I'm always very interested in getting more information on them via books, films and/or documentaries.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

SimonNZ

I rewatched all 4 parts of Ken Burns' The Dust Bowl with a friend last weekend, and continue to rate it among his best.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Hollywood on September 02, 2017, 09:19:11 PM

I must check this one out. I love Ken Burns works and since F.D.R. is one of my famous distant cousins (6th cousin, 3 times removed) I'm always very interested in getting more information on them via books, films and/or documentaries.  8)

Hi Hollywood - believe that you've mentioned some of your distant cousins before, so I'm sure that you would enjoy the Burns Roosevelt documentary; as mentioned we're streaming w/ our Netflix subscription, but has also been released for purchase; in addition, Amazon Video offers 'per episode' or 'series' purchases.  Dave :)