What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

About to watch the next installment of Endeavor....excellent stuff!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Re-watching Kingdom Hospital. Love it. Blondie & the heart.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Classic!  Was that an All in the Family spinoff, George?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 04, 2017, 10:54:23 AM
Classic!  Was that an All in the Family spinoff, George?

Indeed it was! I always liked it more than all in the family, though.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

I should check it out . . . I do not think I ever watched it!

Thread Duty:

Last night I finished re-watching Kingdom Hospital.  I do like it even better the second time, even though I felt stronger, on this viewing, that the baseball and the latter-day-Christ episodes were some kind of padding (though at least, in the case of the former, there is new information which pays off in the finale).  Still, it's a ride I pretty much enjoy all through.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

motoboy

Somehow I missed Twin Peaks in '90. For some reason I always thought it was a Picket Fences or Gilmore Girls type of show. After hearing it and Lynch referenced for years on MST3K and Rifftrax, I decided to give it a go. And was blown away. I have not enjoyed screen based entertainment this thick and rich since AHS season one or Hot Fuzz.

My wife and I try our hardest to squeeze an hour in after the kid goes to sleep to watch it. We're almost done with season 2 and am gagging for Fire walk and the Return now.

Also, I know there is a 14 page thread about this on this very page, but I don't want any spoilers!

bwv 1080

Ken Burns' Vietnam is really well done.  Expected it to be somewhat mawkish, but its a very balanced look at the war.  Gives a great perspective on both N and S Vietnamese perspectives without glossing over the worst aspects of either

milk

All in the Family was released on iTunes. That show holds up where almost all the others from the time do NOT. It's a magical show that jumps off the screen...genius performances, perhaps the best performances in the history of TV sit-coms. While Reiner does a superb job as Archie's antagonist, the typical liberal of his day, and Struthers is very good, Stapleton and O'Connor rise above the whole pantheon of TV history, having created characters that seem like they cannot possibly be fiction - they are uncannily real. The show is weakest when secondary characters are brought into the mix, or when the show wants to make a specific political point. However, there are many episodes that are just the four of them arguing in a room. This is gold and hasn't really been tried since. I've never seen the British show and can't speak to it. But All in the Family is an American classic that stands the test of time and is even relevant for the present day. I heard somewhere that they would shoot two shows, in front of an audience, in one night and that the actors would keep rewriting and reworking the script throughout the break in-between. These were people devoted to their craft. I think they only recent show that tried video tape was Lucky Louie (a good show by the way).       

milk

SimonNZ

SonicMan46

Wife & I trying to find one we both like - she sat in on my looking at the first episodes of Hawaii Five-O, Season 7 - she enjoyed, so I said let me start over - half way through Season One - Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on September 22, 2017, 08:00:41 PM
I might start on Breaking Bad soon, I've already got the first season just lying around

Yes! Amazing series. Bryan Cranston is a brilliant actor!

milk

drogulus

Quote from: milk on September 22, 2017, 12:14:06 PM

This is what's far worse than death awaiting man.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

milk

Quote from: drogulus on September 25, 2017, 07:20:15 PM
     This is what's far worse than death awaiting man.
There is only love or hate w/T&E!

milk

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on September 25, 2017, 10:27:58 PM
Yeah, I love them but they can get tedious after a while
It's really hard to recommend them as most people will probably find it awful. I think much of their work is...well...awesome! It seems somehow impolite to mention them.

milk

milk

milk

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on September 26, 2017, 01:35:45 AM

It's pretty good  :o

But DON'T GO ONTO RANDOM SHIPS OR PLANETS FLOATING IN SPACE, it's always a bad idea  :laugh:
Leaving aside the galavanting naivete of the...oh...well...that IS star trek I guess.