What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omicron9

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on September 22, 2017, 08:00:41 PM
I might start on Breaking Bad soon, I've already got the first season just lying around

Not only are the acting performances brilliant, but BB is one of the best character studies I've ever seen.  The character development begins with the first episode and is constantly evolving until the final scene of the last episode.  Amazingly well done; almost literary.  The highest recommendation.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

milk

Breaking Bad Theme: Anyone can go bad (it's all in the title) analogue?
The Wire: Corrupt Institutions, analogue journalism
Mad Men: psychology and history? American myths? analogue literature
Deadwood Theme: community, analogue theater
Twin Peaks: Evil stalks the land? analogue Hitchcock and horror

I don't consider anything as good as these really...maybe S1 of True Detective...very cinematic...Mcconaughey is great but Woody Harrelson is just as good. Everything else is a close second to these firsts for TV drama. Fargo has been pretty good.

Hollywood

What can I say. I love Robot Chicken and I can't get enough.

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Hollywood on September 28, 2017, 10:12:00 PM

What can I say. I love Robot Chicken and I can't get enough.

Their Star Wars and video game parodies are impeccable!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

milk

I can't speak to the historical accuracy but this is very well filmed, written and performed. It looks great and I quite like the restrained direction. I remember it was only a few years ago that BBC period pieces had to have sweeping/whirling camera. None of that here.

bwv 1080

Quote from: milk on October 04, 2017, 05:00:45 AM

I can't speak to the historical accuracy but this is very well filmed, written and performed. It looks great and I quite like the restrained direction. I remember it was only a few years ago that BBC period pieces had to have sweeping/whirling camera. None of that here.

Thought that was very well done, who knows about the plot details, but it seems believably like the 16th century

Daverz

Quote from: milk on September 25, 2017, 11:20:07 PM
So what did you Trekkies think?

As a Trek franchise, it's a spectacular failure.  It may work if you can think of it as a SyFy show with better production values.  Even then, I found myself yelling at my TV too often (e.g. a ridiculous scene where a character starts reciting from Alice in Wonderland while being chased by a space monster.)

George

Soooo good! This should have gone on so much longer than a mere one season.  :-[
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

milk

Quote from: George on October 04, 2017, 02:13:33 PM

Soooo good! This should have gone on so much longer than a mere one season.  :-[
Great show. Unbelievable collection of talent on and off screen. Very accurate to my childhood.

milk

Quote from: Daverz on October 04, 2017, 02:01:25 PM
As a Trek franchise, it's a spectacular failure.  It may work if you can think of it as a SyFy show with better production values.  Even then, I found myself yelling at my TV too often (e.g. a ridiculous scene where a character starts reciting from Alice in Wonderland while being chased by a space monster.)
The Klingon stuff was unbearable. I like the idea of making it darker. But something isn't right. I'll give it a bit longer. I'm not sure what they want it to be about. War? That's ok for a backdrop in ST. I don't like the JJ Abramification of ST. The movies are terrible. It's not primarily an action show. It should be about discovery. 

Hollywood

Quote from: milk on October 04, 2017, 05:00:45 AM

I haven't seen this yet. Thanks for this tip.

I always love finding films that have to do with any of my ancestors. My 13 times great grandmother is Catherine Cromwell, the sister of Thomas Cromwell (so this makes Thomas my 13 times great grand uncle).

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

milk

Quote from: Hollywood on October 04, 2017, 11:00:31 PM
I haven't seen this yet. Thanks for this tip.

I always love finding films that have to do with any of my ancestors. My 13 times great grandmother is Catherine Cromwell, the sister of Thomas Cromwell (so this makes Thomas my 13 times great grand uncle).
It's really well done. I wish more of the period dramas were made for "grownups" like this. I mean it's not a bunch silly kids running around ruffles and lace.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Just finished season 3 of Rick and Morty. Curious final episode, obviously some kind of prelude to yet another few episodes of development for the Smith-Sanchez family...........................

Omicron9

Quote from: jessop on October 05, 2017, 01:32:24 AM
Just finished season 3 of Rick and Morty. Curious final episode, obviously some kind of prelude to yet another few episodes of development for the Smith-Sanchez family...........................

More Rick and Morty = good.   :)
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Hollywood

A few days ago there was an American Dad 24 hour marathon on our TNT Comedy channel here in Austria. Before last week the only channel to watch American Dad on was the Cartoon Network but it is shown in german only. Sorry, but not being able to watch it in english it looses in the translation big time. Now that American Dad is on the TNT Comedy channel, I can laugh and enjoy it as intended. Woo Hoo!

milk

SimonNZ

The Blacklist, season four

Started very weak but became much better halfway through with the Mr Kaplan story arc (and backstory) taking center stage.

American Gods, season one

Some facets of this were excellent (all the historical bits, the afterlife bits, all the stuff with the dead wife), but other aspects and story threads were silly and stylistically at odds.

Endeavour, season two

Superb

Todd

All three seasons of Narcos in semi-binge mode.  The first two seasons of the true crime series focus on Pablo Escobar, and the third on the Cali cartel.  The first two seasons benefit from Wagner Moura's excellent work as the most famous Columbian drug lord.  All three seasons have lots of violence, and all three deal with the political vagaries and/or duplicitousness of the drug wars.  There's apparently a fourth season in the works about the Juarez cartel, but a location scout was shot and killed in Mexico, so who knows if it happens.  Production values are generally good, acting is generally good, and the mostly no-name actors, at least to English speaking viewers, along with the use of mostly Spanish, all work to make a satisfying viewing experience.  Some liberties are taken with history and politics, but that is to be expected.  Also, per one person involved with the action in real life, some liberties are taken with street level action.  For instance, in season three, one hapless fellow is torn apart by motorcycles tied to his four limbs by ropes.  In real life, Land Rovers were used.  At least the spirit is right.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

milk

Absolute genius, utterly captivating, moving...deeply affecting...brilliant production and performances...Frances Mcdormand does magic here! This is the kind of thing that doesn't happen on TV very often.   

MN Dave

Finished MindHunter on Netflix which was very good.
Now watching Stranger Things 2 on Netflix.
Sticking with The Walking Dead because I've survived this far...
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer