What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Each and every autumn, I want to see me some episodes of Heimat.
Germany in the 20th century, and the viewer is taken by the hand by members of the Simon family, living in a fictional village called Schabbach (Hunsrück, Germany).
They have to deal with local issues, world wars and family problems. One of them ("Hermännchen" = little Hermann) goes to Munich, to study music at the Conservatory. But it's not easy to really break away from his 'Heimat' (homeland).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff11q5_mlE0

It's just great. It really is.
Lots of great music, too.

Crudblud

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 16, 2017, 11:07:50 PM
Starting Stranger Things S1 episode 1, not sure what to make of it so far.

I'm sort of getting Speilberg vibes, which isn't a good thing for me.......

I prefer more adult shows too, so  :-\ But I'll reluctantly sit through a few more episodes and see if it pans out better or not....
That's definitely the sort of show it is, banking on nostalgia for '80s horror, sci-fi, and adventure movies of the sort Spielberg made back then. However, I am not a fan of Spielberg and I enjoyed it. I think the second season suffers a little because it cannot rely on mystery, so it has to ramp up the action, sort of like the difference between Alien and Aliens, only it is nowhere near as good a sequel as Aliens. I also think the reliance on CGI makes the threat less credible, it doesn't have the physical weight of something like The Thing.

Marc

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 17, 2017, 06:13:55 PM
Somehow you missed Twin Peaks, which is the best   :-*  :D

I just ordered the DVD-box of Season 3... not sure when it will be issued, but I'm on the (a)waiting list now, and I will be patient.

See you in 25 years?

;D

You did it

Quote from: Crudblud on November 18, 2017, 12:08:52 PM
That's definitely the sort of show it is, banking on nostalgia for '80s horror, sci-fi, and adventure movies of the sort Spielberg made back then. However, I am not a fan of Spielberg and I enjoyed it. I think the second season suffers a little because it cannot rely on mystery, so it has to ramp up the action, sort of like the difference between Alien and Aliens, only it is nowhere near as good a sequel as Aliens. I also think the reliance on CGI makes the threat less credible, it doesn't have the physical weight of something like The Thing.

Ok, I'll do a binge of the rest of season one later this week? Next week? (it's next week tomorrow...eh)

Have to get it out of the way (at the least), my brother keeps pestering me to see it  :laugh:

So, by favor......I'm trying to get him hooked on Twin Peaks  :D

You did it

Quote from: Marc on November 19, 2017, 12:12:45 AM
I just ordered the DVD-box of Season 3... not sure when it will be issued, but I'm on the (a)waiting list now, and I will be patient.

See you in 25 years?

;D

I gotta get that too, forgot about the DVD set: a worthy addition to my collection  8)

What year is this?  ???

Gotta light?  :D

Marc

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 19, 2017, 12:20:16 AM
I gotta get that too, forgot about the DVD set: a worthy addition to my collection  8)

What year is this?  ???

Gotta light?  :D

I discovered that the last quote is from Season 3... which I haven't seen yet.
And I haven't checked the TP thread on this board, so I'm gonna be fresh and fruity when the box arrives... (in 25 years :P).

Meanwhile, the first 2 seasons rank, despite some lesser episodes, amongst my Top 10 of TV-series, together with:

Heimat (my Number One, from Germany),
I, Claudius,
Hill Street Blues,
Inspector Morse,
Martin Beck (Swedish, with Gösta Ekman as Martin Beck),
Pleidooi (Dutch, about a law firm),
Ally McBeal,
Rome
and
Mad Men.

You did it

Quote from: Marc on November 19, 2017, 12:35:34 AM
I discovered that the last quote is from Season 3... which I haven't seen yet.
And I haven't checked the TP thread on this board, so I'm gonna be fresh and fruity when the box arrives... (in 25 years :P).

Oops, How's Annie then?  :laugh:

Didn't realize you hadn't seen it....well you're in for the greatest (and perhaps polarizing, depends how you take it) experience of your life...... hope you enjoy it 8) I'm still buzzing over it

Marc

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 19, 2017, 12:40:26 AM

I was more worried about Audrey. :P

Didn't realize you hadn't seen it....well you're in for the greatest (and perhaps polarizing, depends how you take it) experience of your life...... hope you enjoy it 8) I'm still buzzing over it

I don't mind 'knowing' about the quote... after all, what's a Lynch without a cigarette lighter?

milk

It was AMAZING!

ludwigii

Quote from: Marc on November 18, 2017, 11:44:19 AM
Each and every autumn, I want to see me some episodes of Heimat.
Germany in the 20th century, and the viewer is taken by the hand by members of the Simon family, living in a fictional village called Schabbach (Hunsrück, Germany).
They have to deal with local issues, world wars and family problems. One of them ("Hermännchen" = little Hermann) goes to Munich, to study music at the Conservatory. But it's not easy to really break away from his 'Heimat' (homeland).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff11q5_mlE0

It's just great. It really is.
Lots of great music, too.

One of my favorite movies is exactly episode 9 of the first series, entitled Hermännchen, a memorable masterpiece  ;)
"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste."
Marcel Duchamp

ritter

Watching Babylon Berlin, allegedly the most expensive TV production ever in Germany. The first "season" of 8 chapters is finished, and we're up to (at least, here in Spain) to chapter 4 (of a total of 8 ) of the second.

It's a story of political and criminal intrigue set in late 1920s Berlin, based on a series of novels by Volker Kutscher. The sets, costumes and general production values are first-rate, and so is the acting IMHO. The atmosphere of Berlin at the time (hyperinflation is gone, and the 1929 stock market crash has not yet happened) is very well presented, alternating between the carefree partying of the jazz age and the squalor in which some of the characters live. The storyline is gripping, although it becomes a bit sketchy at times.

Great fun!  :)

Here's the English-language trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/v/j_qN5bFfOTE

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on November 20, 2017, 02:53:20 AM

Watching Babylon Berlin, allegedly the most expensive TV production ever in Germany. The first "season" of 8 chapters is finished, and we're up to (at least, here in Spain) to chapter 4 (of a total of 8 ) of the second.

It's a story of political and criminal intrigue set in late 1920s Berlin, based on a series of novels by Volker Kutscher. The sets, costumes and general production values are first-rate, and so is the acting IMHO. The atmosphere of Berlin at the time (hyperinflation is gone, and the 1929 stock market crash has not yet happened) is very well presented, alternating between the carefree partying of the jazz age and the squalor in which some of the characters live. The storyline is gripping, although it becomes a bit sketchy at times.

Great fun!  :)

Here's the English-language trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/v/j_qN5bFfOTE

I've started watching it as well (first two episodes). I think it's terrific. I thought that the sets (and music) were amazing so that it did not surprise me that it was the most-expensive non'English speaking TV series ever made. There is a great sense of impending catastrophe (it's set in 1929 Berlin) and it captures the atmosphere of the end-stage Weimar Republic very well (IMHO). The acting is great. It is very 'Film Noir' which is a genre I enjoy. It reminds me a bit of the novels of Phillip Kerr ('Berlin Noir'). It is quite dark but I find it really gripping and am glad to have discovered it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

You did it

The Tim Heidecker murder trial is amazingly entertaining  :D

milk

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 23, 2017, 02:39:52 PM
Isn't it? I'm surprised how caught up in it I got. The prosecution is great! Poor Tim. I think he's done this time.

Todd

Finished the second season of Vice Principals.  I like it a bit less than the first season, but it certainly does have its moments, with the best ones often delivered by Walton Goggins.  (The spring break episode has some eerily well timed comedy.)  The final episode goes all out with one of its conceits, to good effect.  It was nice to see Dale Dickey get a more substantial role than she usually gets, and Steven Little's brief role is a hoot, though more for reasons related to Eastbound & Down.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sergeant Rock

Watching Upstart Crow series 1. Very funny (and witty). Reminds me of Monty Python and Blackadder.

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

milk

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 23, 2017, 02:39:52 PM
The verdict is in! It's a shocker!

You did it

Quote from: milk on November 28, 2017, 08:17:09 PM
The verdict is in! It's a shocker!

Yes it was!!  :o

I wonder if the prosecutors will follow it up or not (considering it was left open a little) or if we're now back to the Cinema again  :D

milk

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 28, 2017, 08:30:55 PM
Yes it was!!  :o

I wonder if the prosecutors will follow it up or not (considering it was left open a little) or if we're now back to the Cinema again  :D
I suspect we'll be hearing more about this lone wolf on the jury.