What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: ludwigii on November 19, 2017, 06:57:57 PM
One of my favorite movies is exactly episode 9 of the first series, entitled Hermännchen, a memorable masterpiece  ;)

Yes. Overall, I feel the same. Being only one episode it's already a great movie in itself.
But there are many beautiful, captivating, memorable and funny scenes during the entire series.

Ernst throwing flowers from his Messerschmitt after the 'long distance wedding' between his brother Anton and Martha is one of my favourites.

But the list is endless.
Like almost all scenes with my favourite duo Wohlleben und Pieritz. Real life cabaret, with a continuous feeling of melancholy and sadness underneath.

Marc

Watched (= rewatched ;)) the first episode of Die zweite Heimat yesterday evening.

Two hours of great fun.

Hermännchen is into 'avant-garde' music.
And I caught myself on too much prompting. ;D

Looking forward to a nice autumn and winter time!

You did it

Jo498

Quote from: Marc on November 29, 2017, 11:17:31 PM
Watched (= rewatched ;)) the first episode of Die zweite Heimat yesterday evening.

Two hours of great fun.

Hermännchen is into 'avant-garde' music.
And I caught myself on too much prompting. ;D

Looking forward to a nice autumn and winter time!
I was slightly too young when the first "Heimat" was broadcasted in the 80s so I never watched it. In the mid/late 1990s (it stems from 1992, but I am pretty sure that I only watched it several years later, probably a repeat on TV) saw the second? series with the students in Munich in the 1960s, avantgarde music, free love and student protests but have to admit I was not that fond of it. (Often fairly boring...) I probably should check the original first one because I seem to recall that most reviewers found it far more impressive than the subsequent ones.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Marc

Quote from: Jo498 on November 29, 2017, 11:38:18 PM
I was slightly too young when the first "Heimat" was broadcasted in the 80s so I never watched it. In the mid/late 1990s (it stems from 1992, but I am pretty sure that I only watched it several years later, probably a repeat on TV) saw the second? series with the students in Munich in the 1960s, avantgarde music, free love and student protests but have to admit I was not that fond of it. (Often fairly boring...) I probably should check the original first one because I seem to recall that most reviewers found it far more impressive than the subsequent ones.

Yeah... my problem (or luck) is, that I'm pretty fond of 'boring'.
The slow tempo is very much to my liking.

But with much of these series it's often a matter of getting involved into the characters or not. I admit that the 1st series is slightly better, but it's not really 'faster'. I just like the human characters (and was able to identify with and/or feel for a lot of them), the beauty of the Hunsrück, the overall melancholy and the fact that I got informed about German 20th century 'matters' in a different, more pleasant (and peasant ;)) way. Being Dutch myself, the image of Germany and Germans was rather negative during my upbringing in post-war Netherlands. Heimat certainly helped me to get rid of that.

Marc

"Zwei fremde Augen".
Second episode of Die zweite Heimat with... Dietrich Henschel. (The one and only.)

And 'Hermännchen' has become a true philosopher: "Liebe ist Mord". (Love is murder.)

SimonNZ

George

Rewatching this loose, often dark and compelling show.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

Quote from: George on December 01, 2017, 04:34:56 PM

I've seen a few of those.  The ones with Fred Willard, Todd Glass, and Gilbert Gottfried are great. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: Todd on December 01, 2017, 05:02:07 PM

I've seen a few of those.  The ones with Fred Willard, Todd Glass, and Gilbert Gottfried are great.

My favorites - Super Dave Osbourne, Fred Stoller, Nick Swardson, Martin Mull, David Letterman and Jim Carrey.

Todd

Todd

The penultimate season of The Americans.  More of the good stuff.  The pace has slowed down from the earlier seasons, and the trajectory for the final fate of the main characters is in motion.  (I hope they all get killed off, but I doubt that happens.)  The season introduces some nice new characters, including an especially doctrinaire, heartless assistant commie spy, and includes multiple morally dubious missions where innocents are whacked or hurt for no good reason.  There's also a very X-Files vibe in the second episode as Marita Covarrubias joins the cast and mystery crops are involved.

nodogen

The Detectorists.

Final episode of the third and final series on Wednesday. Glad that Mackenzie Crook is ending it rather than it going on forever when the quality invariably slips.

milk

Quote from: George on December 01, 2017, 04:34:56 PM

Hilarious. His books is good too BTW.

George

Quote from: milk on December 12, 2017, 05:57:15 PM
Hilarious. His books is good too BTW.

Yes, I need to get back to his book.

My girlfriend and I have been looking for our next TV show to watch and since she never really gave this a chance, I thought it would be a good pick. It didn't really click at first and I thought I had made a huge mistake, but she seems to like it now, if not as much as me.

SonicMan46

We are now watching the Blue Bloods (2010-Present) w/ Tom Selleck et al - now filming the 8th season - on Episode 8, Season 1 and enjoying - and for me, my annual watch of Horatio Hornblower w/ Ioan Gruffudd & Robert Lindsay - I've purchased only 2 TV series, including this one, but considering getting the six seasons of Justified - :)  Dave

SimonNZ

Season 7. I keep expecting the quality to decline or at least plateau into mere formula, and they keep on exceeding my expectations.

SimonNZ

Better Call Saul, season 3. Apparently many consider this series less worthy than the previous two, but i find I have to disagree.

Westworld, season 1. Had enough to keep me watching, but required far too much suspending of disbelief (particularly around the economics of running the park). And was continually getting angry at the show's have-it-both-ways criticizing of the Guests baser instincts, all the while constantly titillating us with the usual HBO boobathon.

Mirror Image

For me, one of the most brilliant sitcoms of all-time.

Ken B

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 22, 2017, 08:37:23 AM
We are now watching the Blue Bloods (2010-Present) w/ Tom Selleck et al - now filming the 8th season - on Episode 8, Season 1 and enjoying - and for me, my annual watch of Horatio Hornblower w/ Ioan Gruffudd & Robert Lindsay - I've purchased only 2 TV series, including this one, but considering getting the six seasons of Justified - :)  Dave

The Better Half loves both these. She loves quite a lot of Tom Selleck things actually ...  ::) 
In the Hornblower, she and her female friends actually especially like ... Robert Lindsay (Pellew). We both like the series a lot, and it might be time for a rewatch. I did like the books a lot too when I was younger.