What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HIPster

Quote from: Ken B on January 30, 2018, 04:30:55 PM
The third, and alas final, season of Detectorists. One of my favorite series ever.

+1

Love it!  :laugh:

We are on season three as well.  This is the final season, correct?
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Ken B

Quote from: HIPster on January 30, 2018, 04:41:06 PM
+1

Love it!  :laugh:

We are on season three as well.  This is the final season, correct?

It is. Well it would have to be after all the killings in episode 6.  ;)

Karl Henning

Well, no longer currently:  last night I finished watching I, Claudius.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 31, 2018, 02:44:56 AM
Well, no longer currently:  last night I finished watching I, Claudius.
That one I like even more! I think after Monty Python that's my favourite. Seen it 3 times.

milk

Rewatching w/my wife. It captures the Coen aesthetic. High quality TV with a religious component too! "Only a fool thinks he can solve the world's problems..."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on January 31, 2018, 05:28:17 AM
That one I like even more! I think after Monty Python that's my favourite. Seen it 3 times.

Ages ago when in Rochester I saw perhaps an episode or two, on a b&w set.  In a dormant kind of way, I had always meant to watch the lot, so here I have done at last.  Absolutely marvelous.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Draško

Last seasons of both. George Gently was probably my favorite British police series of all, sad to see it end, but it's a fine ending. The last season of SDofaCG is a bit tonally different and I thought weaker than the first three seasons, still very decent (if one can say that).

SimonNZ

Quote from: Draško on January 31, 2018, 06:06:21 AM

Last seasons of both. George Gently was probably my favorite British police series of all,

I've never seen it, but that has piqued my curiosity. What gives it such high marks?

Josquin13

I'm partial to the "History Channel" myself, and am currently fascinated by "Hunting Hitler", which is in it's 3rd season.  They've convinced me, at least, that Hitler didn't likely die in the bunker in Berlin, but instead escaped to South America (by way of Norway or Spain), along with Martin Bormann (whose South American daughter & other eyewitnesses they've interviewed), along with other high ranking Nazis, where they were actively planning to build a 4th Reich.  Whether Hitler survived or not, it's particularly unsettling to realize that so many high ranking Nazis had friends & allies after the war, who helped them to escape by way of "rat lines"--via Spanish monasteries, Italy, Norway, etc.--and especially in the Vatican, where there was a wide scale organized effort by the Catholic Church (& Red Cross) to 'baptize' the worst Nazi butchers and give them new identities and passports.  The Catholic Church has some explaining to do.

I'm also watching "The Vikings", but am disappointed with the present season, as some of the best actors in the series have been 'killed' off (Linus Roache, Travis Fimmel, etc.), and it's getting a little boring (despite the efforts of the handful of good actors left on the show).

Daverz

Quote from: Josquin13 on January 31, 2018, 05:01:06 PM
I'm partial to the "History Channel" myself, and am currently fascinated by "Hunting Hitler", which is in it's 3rd season.  They've convinced me, at least, that Hitler didn't likely die in the bunker in Berlin, but instead escaped to South America (by way of Norway or Spain), along with Martin Bormann

What, no aliens?

Jo498

Everybody knows that the South America stories are cheap falsifications. In fact the Nazis escaped to the dark side of the moon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Sky
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Hollywood

Quote from: Josquin13 on January 31, 2018, 05:01:06 PM

I'm also watching "The Vikings", but am disappointed with the present season, as some of the best actors in the series have been 'killed' off (Linus Roache, Travis Fimmel, etc.), and it's getting a little boring (despite the efforts of the handful of good actors left on the show).

My husband has been watching this series as well and got hooked. I then told him that two of the kings of Wessex are ancestors of mine. King Aethelwulf is my 37 times great grandfather and King Ecgbert is my 38 times great grandfather. With a TV series like this I am able to get an idea of how life was for my ancestors even though it maybe Hollywood's version.  ;)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Draško

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 31, 2018, 03:15:51 PM
I've never seen it, but that has piqued my curiosity. What gives it such high marks?

Great balance of character drama, decent plots and very believable period feel.

Well, beyond the fact that the characters are well drawn and interesting and have arc over the whole series (especially DI Bacchus, Gently's sidekick becomes really interesting character over the time) it's a period piece (takes place in the 60s in the north of England) and very well made one at that. The who-done-it part of the show is usually in relation with that time and the place so it provides a sort of social commentary through the cases they deal with. But well judged, it doesn't get shrill or give you the felling you're being browbeaten with the message. Great acting (the leading duo especially), good production value and relatively realistic plots.

milk

The CNN Patty Hearts doc! Gripping fascinating stuff. They interview Bill Harris and Steven Weed. I'm on E2. Highly recommended!!!

bwv 1080

The Black Mirror is just brilliant. PK Dick with smartphones

Arkangel, Callister, Nosedive my favorites so far. Did not care so much for the pig f***ing episode

North Star

Quote from: bwv 1080 on February 14, 2018, 03:17:31 AM
The Black Mirror is just brilliant. PK Dick with smartphones

Arkangel, Callister, Nosedive my favorites so far. Did not care so much for the pig f***ing episode
I've started watching that one a while ago too, and yes, it is brilliant.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Omicron9

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

SimonNZ

I've been listening to a few of Bob Newhart's early 60s "button-down mind" comedy albums recently. They're as funny and clever now as they must have been to the original audiences, imo.

milk

Has anyone seen the British TV show based on Philip K Dick's work? I wonder if it's any good.