What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: milk on February 15, 2018, 03:20:13 PM
Has anyone seen the British TV show based on Philip K Dick's work? I wonder if it's any good.

If you mean Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, I saw one episode, "Autofac", on Amazon.  It was well done, and I enjoyed it, though there was nothing really original in the plot.

milk

Quote from: Daverz on February 15, 2018, 04:43:18 PM
If you mean Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, I saw one episode, "Autofac", on Amazon.  It was well done, and I enjoyed it, though there was nothing really original in the plot.
I see. I'm curious what Black Mirror fans think of it and if it's much different - especially in the style of production. I also wonder if some of the stories will be more original than others.

milk

Watching this AGAIN! Such an awesome show. One of the best. I hear he's got David Milch helping them write S3. S2 was a big let down.

SimonNZ

Undersea

Love/Hate - Series #5

Have been re-watching this Irish series about a group of young gangsters in Dublin.
Quite a good series IMO - I find some of the stuff that happens genuinely shocking.
The acting is really good too I think.
Has anyone else seen this?.

Hollywood

This week I plan on watching Wolf Hall which has to do with another of my relatives, Sir Thomas Cromwell (my 13 times great grand uncle). I love watching films and TV series that bring to life my famous (or infamous) family relations.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

milk

Finished this. Great stuff and really enjoyable. Hearst is guilty as the day is lengthy (imho - but that's NOT a spoiler: make up your own damn mind!). Also: can't believe Soliah/Olson (Minnesotan-in-hiding-gal and former SLA murderer and terrorist!) got off so easy. Really great series that shows you 1. how crazy those times were and
2. how anyone can make it back in America if they have fat stacks of cash, a media/promotional empire, and a wacky story (reminds me of someone else...)   

Ken B

Quote from: milk on March 03, 2018, 10:24:51 PM

Finished this. Great stuff and really enjoyable. Hearst is guilty as the day is lengthy (imho - but that's NOT a spoiler: make up your own damn mind!). Also: can't believe Soliah/Olson (Minnesotan-in-hiding-gal and former SLA murderer and terrorist!) got off so easy. Really great series that shows you 1. how crazy those times were and
2. how anyone can make it back in America if they have fat stacks of cash, a media/promotional empire, and a wacky story (reminds me of someone else...)

People forget that there years in that era where there were 2000 bombings a year in America (mostly from left wing kooks but not all). The pilot episode of Barney Miller makes casual jokes about the frequency of bombings.

milk

Quote from: Ken B on March 04, 2018, 06:01:14 AM
People forget that there years in that era where there were 2000 bombings a year in America (mostly from left wing kooks but not all). The pilot episode of Barney Miller makes casual jokes about the frequency of bombings.
I can't imagine. If I'm not mistaken, there were frequent airplane hijackings too. Crazy. I notice Hearst cynically using #metoo to play the victim fiddle one more time. Anyway, great series. Gripping and deep into those times.   

Karl Henning

I've gone back to The Twilight Zone.  I fetched in a Used - Very Good Blu-ray set, so I am cherry-picking episodes disc by disc as I perform due-diligence QC.  Thanks to both the excellent production values and the generally superb (never less than "very good") content, I find this series evergreen.

So, which episodes have I recently watched, you ask?

"Mr Denton on Doomsday," in which a sassy Martin Landau gets put in his place (though this is not the central story)

"And When the Sky Was Opened," with Rod Taylor.  The first time I watched this, years ago when I made my first survey of the series, I did not realize that the male lead from The Birds was the principal character here.

"Mirror Image," with Vera Miles (Psycho) and Martin Milner (Adam-12);  Vera Miles is so mousy here, you may not recognize her.

"The Chaser," which is especially wicked fun.

"The Howling Man."  Just go ahead and watch it.

"Dust."  Pay heed to the magic!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 05, 2018, 06:32:20 AM
I've gone back to The Twilight Zone.  I fetched in a Used - Very Good Blu-ray set, so I am cherry-picking episodes disc by disc as I perform due-diligence QC.  Thanks to both the excellent production values and the generally superb (never less than "very good") content, I find this series evergreen.

"Mr Denton on Doomsday," in which a sassy Martin Landau gets put in his place (though this is not the central story)

"And When the Sky Was Opened," with Rod Taylor.  The first time I watched this, years ago when I made my first survey of the series, I did not realize that the male lead from The Birds was the principal character here.

"Mirror Image," with Vera Miles (Psycho) and Martin Milner (Adam-12);  Vera Miles is so mousy here, you may not recognize her.

Also:  "A World of Difference," in which parts of the Van Cleave score seem to be a close adaptation of the Introduction to L'oiseau de feu   8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

One of Sonic Dave's faves, The Hornblower series. We rewatched the first two so far. Great stuff.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Hollywood

I love the original series of The Twilight Zone as well as the original series The Outer Limits. As a child I remember watching them on TV back in the early 1960s.

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Hollywood on March 05, 2018, 10:41:25 PM
I love the original series of The Twilight Zone as well as the original series The Outer Limits. As a child I remember watching them on TV back in the early 1960s.

I need to finish The Outer Limits . . . I stalled out at about the midpoint, no reflection on the series.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Hollywood

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 06, 2018, 04:24:10 AM
I need to finish The Outer Limits . . . I stalled out at about the midpoint, no reflection on the series.

Which version of The Outer Limits are you watching? I love the original 1963 series much better than the later 1995 revival. For me the same goes for the original The Twilight Zone as compaired to the 1985 and 2002 revival attemps.

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 06, 2018, 04:24:10 AM

Iirc, the first season is being released on bluray sometime later this month.

I can still remember being entertainingly terrified by The Galaxy Being as a young boy...

There is nothing wrong,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Hollywood on March 06, 2018, 10:46:27 PM
Which version of The Outer Limits are you watching? I love the original 1963 series much better than the later 1995 revival. For me the same goes for the original The Twilight Zone as compaired to the 1985 and 2002 revival attemps.

The original Outer Limits (I think this may be the first I have heard of the revival).

Impossible not to like the original Twilight Zone better, but I do enjoy the '80s series.  I only found out about the latter, from extras on the DVD series of the original series, which included (e.g.) a sample of the remade "A Game of Pool" (nothing could beat Jack Klugman & Jno Winters, to be sure!—yet I do enjoy Maury Chaykin in the Winters role) and "Dead Man's Shoes."

Offhand, "Shatterday," "Nightcrawlers," "The Library," "Wong's Lost and Found Emporium," "The Misfortune Cookie," "To See the Invisible Man," "The Once and Future King," and "Aqua Vita" (among yet others) are all strong stories which do the brand proud.

FWIW, I have not sought out the 21st-c. series.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on March 07, 2018, 01:00:57 AM
Iirc, the first season is being released on bluray sometime later this month.

I can still remember being entertainingly terrified by The Galaxy Being as a young boy...

There is nothing wrong,

LKB

Aye, those youthful frights . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

My own favorites:

The Howling Man

Time Enough at Last

To Serve Man

Walking Distance
( with an exquisite Bernard Hermann score )

And many others...

Picture if you will,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...