What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: Undersea on April 28, 2018, 01:56:26 AM
I enjoyed watching this one - How are you finding the show so far Simon?.

Nearly finished season four now and still enjoying the ride. I'll happily keep watching through to the last season. I particularly like Walter Goggins as Boyd Crowder. And his cod evangelical talk in season one was so good I wish they'd let him keep at it.

also watched recently: Season one of The Handmaid's Tale.

Started really strong, but I thought it went a little off the boil by the final couple of episodes.

also: I expected The Crown to be good, but was surprised to find it to be excellent - one of the best things I've seen recently

Cato

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 28, 2018, 03:11:52 AM
Nearly finished season four now and still enjoying the ride. I'll happily keep watching through to the last season. I particularly like Walton Goggins as Boyd Crowder. And his cod evangelical talk in season one was so good I wish they'd let him keep at it.

also: I expected The Crown to be good, but was surprised to find it to be excellent - one of the best things I've seen recently

Yes to both!  Justified when it was running was called by some critics the best series on American television.

We are currently watching Victoria, Season II, and Season II of Monk, and are enjoying both.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Undersea

Nearly finished season four now and still enjoying the ride. I'll happily keep watching through to the last season. I particularly like Walter Goggins as Boyd Crowder. And his cod evangelical talk in season one was so good I wish they'd let him keep at it.

Yeah, Boyd Crowder was my favourite Character in the show - Walter Goggins was brilliant!.
Loved the Wynn Duffy character too. :)

Draško

Quote from: Cato on April 28, 2018, 03:19:05 AM
Yes to both!  Justified when it was running was called by some critics the best series on American television.

Me three to both! Justified is one of my favorite series of recent years. And I was much impressed with The Crown, the way they managed to make drama out of such mundane material.

I'm about to start watching the 5th and final season of Ripper Street. Looking forward to it, I've heard that my favorite vilain - Inspector Jedediah Shine, is making a comeback. His involvement in season 2 produced one of best season finales of any series I've watched.

Ken B

Undersea

Quote from: Ken B on April 28, 2018, 07:31:19 PM
Fargo
Season 1 so far is terrific.

Good one! - I have watched Season #3 (and enjoyed it very much) but have yet to get back to the earlier episodes...

drogulus

QuoteWill Harry's Ohm speakers ever get hooked up?

Forty years ago, the Ohm F speaker was a game-changer; it still is

I had them in the late '70s and yes, they were the best speakers I ever owned. Oh, did I have a McIntosh power amp to drive them? Why yes, I did! Therefore, Bosch is a cool guy.

On TV or in movies speakers aren't hooked up for the same reason they aren't in ads. The wires look messy.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

NikF

Westworld - I watched the first season and if nothing else enjoyed the way some of it was lit (and with what appears almost like old uncoated lenses being employed to render skin tones particularly delightful - although nowadays I'm sure that's all added in post. Hahaha) so I've accepted a regular invite to view season two with some friends.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

milk

Dark, fascinating, shocking, entertaining, unbelievable, crazy, and lots of fun. What a wild wild yarn this is. 

Daverz

Quote from: drogulus on April 29, 2018, 10:08:36 AM
     On TV or in movies speakers aren't hooked up for the same reason they aren't in ads. The wires look messy.

I don't have time to go back thru this season looking for it, but I swear I saw some wire on the floor by one of the speakers.  So I think the set designer must respond to feedback.

The next question is how Harry knows so much about jazz with that dinky record collection.

NikF

Quote from: NikF on April 30, 2018, 06:09:12 PM
Westworld - I watched the first season and if nothing else enjoyed the way some of it was lit (and with what appears almost like old uncoated lenses being employed to render skin tones particularly delightful - although nowadays I'm sure that's all added in post. Hahaha)

'Early on it was decided that the series would be shot on 35 mm film with assistance from HD taps, despite increasing difficulties in acquiring film stock. For a softer look, the filmmakers used Arri Zeiss master prime lenses with their coatings removed.'
- yeah, I have a good eye (literally) 8) although I don't like the usage of the term 'softer', because it's just going to furturr confuse the hoi polloi/coffee table book collectors.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Karl Henning

Timothy Hutton.  I wish I had some of his wardrobe.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 02, 2018, 06:01:36 AM
Timothy Hutton.  I wish I had some of his wardrobe.
I wish I could fit some of his wardrobe.

Crudblud

I'm about a third of the way through the "remix" of Arrested Development's fourth season, released in anticipation of the new season which will apparently be out on Netflix around the end of this month. I actually quite liked the original cut, which was hugely controversial with fans, but the new version is much more like the classic show. You still have not enough scenes with the Bluths all together, but the pacing and flow is spot-on and the bigger story is much easier to follow, if still convoluted. Given the central idea that Michael is the only one keeping the family together, it makes sense that his finally having had enough of them would result in each of them going their separate ways and degenerating into even more extreme versions of themselves, and it's a typically clever structural gag from Mitchell Hurwitz that each episode of the original cut followed only one character apiece, but the new cut really delivers more of the classic AD vibe, and it actually makes it funnier because you're not having to piece jokes and storylines together from five different episodes. I like it a lot and I can't wait for the new season.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just started watching The Polar Sea on Netflix (or is it Hulu?). Fascinating series about the effects of climate change in the arctic told through the adventures of three sailors tackling the Northwest Passage in a tiny (40'?) sailboat. Scenery is incredible.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

North Star

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on May 08, 2018, 12:46:47 PM
Just started watching The Polar Sea on Netflix (or is it Hulu?). Fascinating series about the effects of climate change in the arctic told through the adventures of three sailors tackling the Northwest Passage in a tiny (40'?) sailboat. Scenery is incredible.
This looks great. I recently saw the Blue Planet documentary series (with David Attenborough) about life in the oceans, touching also on how climate change, fishing and pollution affect it. Very much recommended.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

XB-70 Valkyrie

I am fascinated by the Arctic in general--would love to visit Finland/Lapland one day. I've made it as far as Bergen, Norway, but would like to go as far north as possible--polar bear gun at the ready (for self-preservation applications only!!)

How's life in Finland??
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Cato

Quote from: Crudblud on May 08, 2018, 11:21:47 AM
I'm about a third of the way through the "remix" of Arrested Development's fourth season, released in anticipation of the new season which will apparently be out on Netflix around the end of this month. I actually quite liked the original cut, which was hugely controversial with fans, but the new version is much more like the classic show. You still have not enough scenes with the Bluths all together, but the pacing and flow is spot-on and the bigger story is much easier to follow, if still convoluted. Given the central idea that Michael is the only one keeping the family together, it makes sense that his finally having had enough of them would result in each of them going their separate ways and degenerating into even more extreme versions of themselves, and it's a typically clever structural gag from Mitchell Hurwitz that each episode of the original cut followed only one character apiece, but the new cut really delivers more of the classic AD vibe, and it actually makes it funnier because you're not having to piece jokes and storylines together from five different episodes. I like it a lot and I can't wait for the new season.

Amen to everything!   0:)   My son and I watched about 7 episodes on Sunday, and found it much improved!  Not quite as snappy (and no scenes (yet) with police clobbering George Sr. with a billy-club) as the first three seasons, but still fun stuff!  And why divorce Maeby from the movie studio?  That was always a plot with great satirical possibilities.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)