What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 18, 2018, 08:16:57 AM
Giving up on Curb Your Enthusiasm, just getting too prurient and vulgar.

I gave up on it too and for kind of similar reasons. And it's a pity, because I had really liked it.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

George

Quote from: NikF on May 23, 2018, 06:12:05 AM
I gave up on it too and for kind of similar reasons. And it's a pity, because I had really liked it.

It's pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.  8)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

NikF

Quote from: George on May 23, 2018, 06:42:35 AM
It's pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.  8)

That episode years ago when he cut the doll's hair? And the way he kind of casually tried to justify it to the little girl? Seems to me that all such stuff that's true to his character is lacking now - situations/scenarios are being forcibly introduced and imposed from the outside instead. Ah, it's probably just me - apart from when I was married I haven't owned a television and so that format (and the development within it) are still sometimes kind of alien to me.   ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

George

Quote from: NikF on May 23, 2018, 06:57:28 AM
That episode years ago when he cut the doll's hair? And the way he kind of casually tried to justify it to the little girl? Seems to me that all such stuff that's true to his character is lacking now - situations/scenarios are being forcibly introduced and imposed from the outside instead. Ah, it's probably just me - apart from when I was married I haven't owned a television and so that format (and the development within it) are still sometimes kind of alien to me.   ;D

I was totally kidding.

The final season was poor, but much of the rest of the series was a lot of fun (to me.)

Matt Berry is my new comedic hero. After seeing him on IT Crowd, I sought out everything he's done. He's one of those guys that just needs to talk and he's funny. (see Snuff Box, Toast of London)

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

eljr

"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Mirror Image

Quote from: Draško on May 24, 2018, 04:13:54 AM

One of my favorite sitcoms of all-time. Certainly in my 'Top 3' that's for sure. I'm currently watching all eleven seasons over again for the fourth time. My main complaint about this show stems from the last two seasons (around the time that Daphne and Niles get married). I felt that the writing kind of took a backseat and wasn't as inventive or clever as the earlier seasons, but there are still some great episodes in these last last two seasons.

XB-70 Valkyrie

I got burned out on Curb Your Enthusiasm after the fourth season. (we have the DVDs). I just got tired of his snotty, rich celebrity friends, and I also got tired of seeing L.A. scenery. I absolutely detest all of those areas and avoid them like the plague.

I loved the first few seasons of Portlandia, but got tired of that too; it just seemed to shift from being funny to being weird for the sake of being weird.

Now am watching The Polar Sea, and I must recommend this again. It is some of the greatest filmmaking I have ever seen. Go go Netflix now and watch the second episode--stupendous!

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Moonfish

I really like this show!

<-------  Claire Danes fan!   

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Draško

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2018, 06:04:53 AM
One of my favorite sitcoms of all-time. Certainly in my 'Top 3' that's for sure. I'm currently watching all eleven seasons over again for the fourth time. My main complaint about this show stems from the last two seasons (around the time that Daphne and Niles get married). I felt that the writing kind of took a backseat and wasn't as inventive or clever as the earlier seasons, but there are still some great episodes in these last last two seasons.

This is my first time watching it. I've seen maybe couple of episodes back in the day when it was shown on TV. I'm really, really liking it, and sitcoms aren't usually my cup of tea (few British ones excepted).

Baron Scarpia

It certainly starts out good, perfectly scripted and executed comedy. But it seems by the time they got to the fifth or sixth season they had exhausted every possible plot twist, and eventually got so desperate that they had to put Niles and Daphne together. At that moment I think it quickly degenerated pretty rapidly.

Ken B

Charité

A German Netflix series about the famous hospital, in 1888. Decent, not wonderful.

Draško

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 24, 2018, 12:57:47 PM
It certainly starts out good, perfectly scripted and executed comedy. But it seems by the time they got to the fifth or sixth season they had exhausted every possible plot twist, and eventually got so desperate that they had to put Niles and Daphne together. At that moment I think it quickly degenerated pretty rapidly.

I've long way to go till 5th or 6th season. I'll see how it goes.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 24, 2018, 02:00:10 PM
Charité

A German Netflix series about the famous hospital, in 1888. Decent, not wonderful.

It's on my list! I like shows from across the world. This one is in the realm of microbiology, romance and drama?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 26, 2018, 12:04:28 AM
It's on my list! I like shows from across the world. This one is in the realm of microbiology, romance and drama?

Yes. Koch, Ehrlich, Virchow, and Behring, with some soap opera tossed in. No cats though.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2018, 06:04:53 AM

Seconded. Frasier is one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen and it's fun to see the similarities between Sideshow Bob from The Simpsons and Frasier (minus all the murdering stuff) and the voice actors of Sideshow Bob's father and brother were the same as in Frasier too. So sad that John Mahoney died.  :(
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SimonNZ

Mr Robot - season three

I was initially worried that it wasn't as unrelentingly dark as the wonderful season 2, though that turned out to be a very subtle subversion and mocking of the idea of turning the clock back and making everything okay again by seeming to let a little light shine through. Ultimately superb as ever, one of the very few essentials on tv now.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 26, 2018, 06:22:08 AM
Yes. Koch, Ehrlich, Virchow, and Behring, with some soap opera tossed in. No cats though.

Darn! I was hoping for at least one cat in Koch's experiments!
We are moving through it slowly, but it is definitely very enjoyable!

Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on May 26, 2018, 10:19:50 AM
Seconded. Frasier is one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen and it's fun to see the similarities between Sideshow Bob from The Simpsons and Frasier (minus all the murdering stuff) and the voice actors of Sideshow Bob's father and brother were the same as in Frasier too. So sad that John Mahoney died.  :(

Yes, Mahoney's death was kind of a shock to me as I didn't know that he was ill. I thought he was in good health. In the back of my mind, I was really hoping for a reunion show, but we still may get one. The way the series ended (i. e. Goodnight, Seattle) kind of left things unresolved between Frasier and Charlotte as there's no telling what might have happened. I suppose it'll forever be one of those 'what if' moments.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 24, 2018, 12:57:47 PM

I agree and disagree. I think that Niles and Daphne getting together was inevitable and everyone saw it coming. I thought how it led up that point was actually extremely well-written. I do agree, however, that the later seasons lack a certain magic that they never quite seemed to be able to capture again. The final season's last couple of episodes were quite good I must say as the writing seemed to have picked back up, but, as with everything that's a success, it must come to an end. For me, this sitcom is one of the best I've ever seen and I put it up there with other favorites of mine like Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Wings, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.