What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

I watched (in the company of a short haired - perhaps a cropped haired - blonde) the Stephen King saga about the town his stories are mainly set in.
But here's a question; I thought this latest season/series was only six episodes long. But apparently it's padded out?  So, do you think there's perhaps an aspect of releasing all episodes at the same time which makes some episodes that 'suck' less obvious because your next one is literally only a copy click away? (Lynch dicks - I'm looking at you. LMAO)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

stingo

Quote from: MN Dave on September 11, 2018, 06:05:33 AM
Signed up for DC Universe streaming.

Same here. Have only had time to catch a few DC Nation Shorts, but Superman of Tokyo is pretty off the wall.

Cato

A comedic and occasionally dramatic look at autism/Asperger's Syndrome:

Season 2 is on Netflix now.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

George

Only a few episodes in, but so far, a watered down version of his much funnier/darker podcast.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

motoboy

I have been trying to watch Disenchanted, but it is doing nothing for me. The characters had already been done to death in Futurama and their gelling seemed rushed and half-hearted. The joke to dialog ratio was pretty poor in the first couple episodes, but got better by episode 3 or 4.

I call it Past-O-Rama to annoy my wife. She likes it just fine.

I finally got around to watching Twin Peaks, The Return and really enjoyed it other than some minor problems. We tried to make a drinking game out of it, drinking whenever anyone said "Dougie" or "Sonny Jim" but we would have wound up in the ER with alcohol poisoning.

Draško

https://www.youtube.com/v/Ij1pZvv9m0g

Utterly hilarious and theoretically valid.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What more can one expect of a sketch.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

vandermolen

Bodyguard.
Looking forward to the extended finale tomorrow night.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

I have been watching Miami Vice on Blu-ray and also started Space: 1999 second series on Blu-ray.

I'm somewhat fed up with the modern style on TV shows (shaky camera + fast editing). Shows from the past are so much nicer, comfy. Slow editing and rational camera work. Miami looks real in Miami Vice while in CSI: Miami it looks fake, overprocessed and oversaturated (I hate that orange/blue saturation). It's an amazing difference. Also older shows are corny in way that only increases the entertaiment value. There are some modern TV show I like, but most of them are not for me.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Cato

Quote from: 71 dB on September 22, 2018, 10:05:04 AM
I have been watching Miami Vice on Blu-ray and also started Space: 1999 second series on Blu-ray.

I'm somewhat fed up with the modern style on TV shows (shaky camera + fast editing). Shows from the past are so much nicer, comfy. Slow editing and rational camera work. Miami looks real in Miami Vice while in CSI: Miami it looks fake, overprocessed and oversaturated (I hate that orange/blue saturation). It's an amazing difference. Also older shows are corny in way that only increases the entertaiment value. There are some modern TV show I like, but most of them are not for me.

Let me tell you what the younger generation thinks: eye-rolling boredom!  And the farther back you go, the outcry becomes louder!

The topic recently came up among some of my 8th Graders, who were lamenting that their parents restrict television to certain stations broadcasting only things from the middle 1980's and earlier.

"The worst are those black-and-white shows, like Andy Griffith!  OMG!!!" and the eye-rolling distaste was almost palpable.   ::)   ;)

Poor babies!  :D 

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Cato on September 22, 2018, 10:11:30 AM
Let me tell you what the younger generation thinks: eye-rolling boredom!  And the farther back you go, the outcry becomes louder!

The topic recently came up among some of my 8th Graders, who were lamenting that their parents restrict television to certain stations broadcasting only things from the middle 1980's and earlier.

"The worst are those black-and-white shows, like Andy Griffith!  OMG!!!" and the eye-rolling distaste was almost palpable.   ::)   ;)

Poor babies!  :D 
Just because they are young and don't like it doesn't make them wrong! It's just nostalgic dreck to me (even in the seventies it was already this). So not a fan of Andy Griffiths myself. Even worse is Leave it to Beaver. Just shoot me now! :)

I do like some of the old What's my line shows...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

NikF

Quote from: 71 dB on September 22, 2018, 10:05:04 AM

Some would pass that off as a stylistic choice, a part of current fashion and they would be sort of kind of maybe correct, because saving time and money never go out of fashion. So 'orange and teal' make a lot of decisions easy and cheap, in that they're both flattering to many different skin tones, and can maximise contrast which means it's easier to work with ambient light and backgrounds. But yes, it's so obvious (look at a colour wheel and see them opposite each other) and can be a little uninspiring. A pity, because there's no need to go all arthouse in order to colour grade and make an impact. "Long time no see, blue!" -

Amelie via Machado

Then again, that's a movie. I'm not sure how many businesses would like to have the look of their television ads being watched by eyes that have recently grown accustomed to something different. In other words, carefully choose the frame that the piece is going to be mounted in.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Cato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 22, 2018, 11:14:42 AM
Just because they are young and don't like it doesn't make them wrong! It's just nostalgic dreck to me (even in the seventies it was already this). So not a fan of Andy Griffiths myself. Even worse is Leave it to Beaver. Just shoot me now! :)

I do like some of the old What's my line shows...

No, but they were rejecting everything that was old and not in color!   0:)

Agreed, all kinds of terrible T.V. shows have existed, do exist (The Bachelor, Big Brother, etc.),  and will exist!

Ken B

Older TV mostly looks like crap now because:

• much of it was crap
  • low budgets

• hurried schedules
  • tied to passing fancies of the day

• image resolution
  • image decay

But it wasn't all stupid.

I suggest the early seasons of Have Gun Will Travel as B&W TV that holds up very well.

I suggest Firing Line with William F. Buckley as a show that has the power to shock modern viewers: disagreements dealt with by listening and responding cogently — on both sides.

Up until the mid 60s stuff like Stravinsky was broadcast and considered suitable for a mass audience.

milk

Quote from: George on September 15, 2018, 04:26:21 PM

Only a few episodes in, but so far, a watered down version of his much funnier/darker podcast.
Yes: his youtube show was much funnier. Something is off about the Netflix one. It seems really lazy, constrained and awkward on this platform whereas - as a YT/podcast it seemed wild, unconstrained, unpredictable and funny. 

bwv 1080

Quote from: Draško on September 22, 2018, 04:38:55 AM

Utterly hilarious and theoretically valid.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: What more can one expect of a sketch.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
awesome

Also this should have been Trump's campaign song

https://www.youtube.com/v/6riY-103vbc

Todd

Jack Ryan, aka, Jim Halpert, Tough Guy Lady Killer.  Sleek and entertaining in a throw away sort of way.  Timothy Hutton is most enjoyable in his role.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sydney Nova Scotia

Sydney is my name and games is my game

milk

Delhi Cops! 2-part doc-series on Amazon. If you're desperate for something to watch (can't stand 99% of series on streaming/TV) go for it. Interesting stuff out of some British channel. I wish there were more than just 2Es.
Plus:
The Staircase!!!!!!!!! on Netflix (E4 now). I know many people lauded this and I'm late to the table. 

Karl Henning

Well, I have been savoring a return to The Twilight Zone . . . 1/24 | 2/24 | 3/24
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot