What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Watched a few episodes of 'The Man in the High Castle' and IMO one of the best things about it is that they often show you the ceiling of the rooms where action takes place - that's one of your pro insight litmus tests right there, vy ponimaete? - morr exactly  the last time I saw similarly high production values was in the (mostly) Lionsgate production of 'Mad Men'.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 10, 2018, 04:00:06 AM
Well, I have been savoring a return to The Twilight Zone . . . 1/24 | 2/24 | 3/24

Coincidence - few weeks ago I introduced a third(?) year film student to it.
An aside: ever noticed how the earliest episodes despite being shot on video don't seem to be lacking in comparison to the remainder being on 135mm film stock? Taking my pro hat off, it's because it was/good stuff.
In any case and more importantly, enjoy!
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF on October 10, 2018, 04:19:31 AM
Coincidence - few weeks ago I introduced a third(?) year film student to it.
An aside: ever noticed how the earliest episodes despite being shot on video don't seem to be lacking in comparison to the remainder being on 135mm film stock? Taking my pro hat off, it's because it was/good stuff.
In any case and more importantly, enjoy!

Actually the whole of the first season was shot on film.  Shooting six episodes on video in the second season was a cost-cutting measure imposed by a suit at CBS ("Night of the Meek," "Twenty-Two," e.g.)  On those, yes, the reduction in visual quality is palpable.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 10, 2018, 04:27:11 AM
Actually the whole of the first season was shot on film.  Shooting six episodes on video in the second season was a cost-cutting measure imposed by a suit at CBS ("Night of the Meek," "Twenty-Two," e.g.)  On those, yes, the reduction in visual quality is palpable.

Yeah, the point I was making (and perhaps failed to make) was that it didn't detract from the consistency that was in place from the outset. And as ever, consistency is all.

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF on October 10, 2018, 04:48:04 AM
Yeah, the point I was making (and perhaps failed to make) was that it didn't detract from the consistency that was in place from the outset. And as ever, consistency is all.

Now I twig.  Yes, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Really enjoyed this. So much that although I finished it last night, I plan to start watching again later today.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Cato

The Last Ship, the current episode from October 7th: Wow!

A scene going back and forth between the Eric Dane character (Chandler) being attacked in a basement months earlier and him in the present having a screaming match with his adolescent daughter brought home the stress of combat and its after-effects!

If you can find it, watch it!  Very impressive!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

stingo

Finished Iron Fist S2. Now to watch the season premieres of The Flash, Black Lightning and Titans.

milk

Watched Better Call Saul this season. I'm in the minority, I guess, believing it to be OK but not nearly as good as Breaking Bad. The show really tries hard which means NOT effortless. People seem to buy into it. I think there's lots of stuff here that is meant to be fascinating that's just not...a lot of the drug-mob characters in particular. It also doesn't help that the characters look old even while they're supposed to be younger (than in BB). Fan service and flashbacks: two things I hate. 

EddieRUKiddingVarese

Watching reruns of Bargarse

https://youtu.be/_u9bWQoQVIQ
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

SimonNZ

NikF

Finished watching 'The Man in the High Castle' but only because my current squeeze felt the need to see it through to the end. What a soap opera. An aside: in her opinion "Rufus is manly". Fair enough.
I'd rather watch the Twilight Zone while stuffing my face with mustard lathered hotdogs and chips (fries).

lisa needs braces

I heard good things about the concluded sci-fi channel series "12 Monkeys."

shirime

Todd

The second season of American Vandal.  Here the intrepid high school investigative journalists set out to find the real identity of The Turd Burglar, who terrorizes a ritzy Bellevue private school.  This season lacks the freshness of the first season, and feels even more contrived, though the opening episode is a hoot for those who can giggle at scatological humor.  I guess there's a lesson in the series about the exposed and alienated lives of teens and the impact of social media and what not.  (But then, my teen daughter informs me that certain social media outlets, such as Facebook, are for old people, and that people my age are out of touch.)  Should I be concerned or happy that the producers hired Portland-area reporters to play Seattle-area reporters? 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

EddieRUKiddingVarese

"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

milk

Quote from: Todd on October 13, 2018, 06:40:25 AM

The second season of American Vandal.  Here the intrepid high school investigative journalists set out to find the real identity of The Turd Burglar, who terrorizes a ritzy Bellevue private school.  This season lacks the freshness of the first season, and feels even more contrived, though the opening episode is a hoot for those who can giggle at scatological humor.  I guess there's a lesson in the series about the exposed and alienated lives of teens and the impact of social media and what not.  (But then, my teen daughter informs me that certain social media outlets, such as Facebook, are for old people, and that people my age are out of touch.)  Should I be concerned or happy that the producers hired Portland-area reporters to play Seattle-area reporters?
I also liked S1 better. I had to turn off S2. I thought it was only in Japan that FB was for old(er) people like me. In the U.S., college students don't use FB?

Omicron9

Bojack, season 5. 

I do not have the words to express my love and admiration for this series.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

North Star

Quote from: Omicron9 on October 15, 2018, 07:25:58 AM
Bojack, season 5. 

I do not have the words to express my love and admiration for this series.

It really is magnificent.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

Quote from: North Star on October 15, 2018, 07:31:14 AM
It really is magnificent.
I've never even heard of the series, so must check it out....but, happy birthday, Karlo!  :)