What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

I watched "Spock's Brain" a month or more ago.  I'll go ahead and say that I enjoyed it more than the negative impressions of the consensus seemed to promise.

This is an interesting article which begins with the teaser, "Spock's Brain" is not the worst episode of Star Trek ever produced.

Yesterday I watched "The Enterprise Incident" which I am tempted to consider an exceptionally fine Star Trek episode.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Season three of The Man in the High Castle.  The show is sort of running out of steam.  To be sure, there are some nice touches, such as the introduction of the wonderfully named American Reichsmarschall George Lincoln Rockwell, and much of the production remains top notch.  (Green screen does become obtrusive from time to time, though.)  Ultimately, though, producer Frank Spotnitz relies a bit too much on the tawdry - hot Nazi lesbians!! - and very X-Files like plot devices.  Also like the X-Files, the show is at its best when the main bad guys are on screen, in the form of Chief Inspector Kido (Joel de la Fuente) and John Smith (bad ass Rufus Sewell), who gets a couple promotions.  Even then, these two don't really compare to the Alien Bounty Hunter, let alone Smoking Man.  I'll probably watch at least the beginning of season four to see how the cliffhanger ending turns out.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Cato

Quote from: Todd on October 27, 2018, 06:25:38 AM

Season three of The Man in the High Castle.  The show is sort of running out of steam.  To be sure, there are some nice touches, such as the introduction of the wonderfully named American Reichsmarschall George Lincoln Rockwell, and much of the production remains top notch.  (Green screen does become obtrusive from time to time, though.)  Ultimately, though, producer Frank Spotnitz relies a bit too much on the tawdry - hot Nazi lesbians!! - and very X-Files like plot devices.  Also like the X-Files, the show is at its best when the main bad guys are on screen, in the form of Chief Inspector Kido (Joel de la Fuente) and John Smith (bad ass Rufus Sewell), who gets a couple promotions.  Even then, these two don't really compare to the Alien Bounty Hunter, let alone Smoking Man.  I'll probably watch at least the beginning of season four to see how the cliffhanger ending turns out.

There actually was an "American Nazi" leader in the '50's and '60's named George Lincoln Rockwell, q.v.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lincoln_Rockwell
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Todd

Quote from: Cato on October 27, 2018, 06:36:27 AM
There actually was an "American Nazi" leader in the '50's and '60's named George Lincoln Rockwell, q.v.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lincoln_Rockwell

I guess I just don't know my American Nazi history. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Omicron9

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2018, 11:00:52 AM
I watched "Spock's Brain" a month or more ago.  I'll go ahead and say that I enjoyed it more than the negative impressions of the consensus seemed to promise.

This is an interesting article which begins with the teaser, "Spock's Brain" is not the worst episode of Star Trek ever produced.

Yesterday I watched "The Enterprise Incident" which I am tempted to consider an exceptionally fine Star Trek episode.

I love "Spock's Brain."  Difficult to view it with a straight face.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Omicron9 on October 30, 2018, 06:21:17 AM

And, heck, I think that was part of it:  an hommage to schlocky sci-fi of yore.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Omicron9

McCoy: Jim.... his brain .... is GONE.
Kirk: <silently mouthing the words> His... brain?
  :P :P ;D ;D :D :D

Omicron9

Thread duty: finished binging on "The Good Place."  I liked it much more than I would have expected.  Some good plot twists and long-term character evolution.

George

Quote from: Omicron9 on October 30, 2018, 07:28:06 AM
Thread duty: finished binging on "The Good Place."  I liked it much more than I would have expected.  Some good plot twists and long-term character evolution.

Great show!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Omicron9

It really is.  I screened seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix; won't be seeing S3 until it's available on Netflix, but looking forward to it.  Ted Danson is so good in this.

George

Quote from: Omicron9 on October 30, 2018, 07:35:24 AM
It really is.  I screened seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix; won't be seeing S3 until it's available on Netflix, but looking forward to it.  Ted Danson is so good in this.

He absolutely is!

Thread Duty:

Second time through Schitt's Creek.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Omicron9 on October 30, 2018, 07:28:06 AM

Just started watching, and I am liking it a lot.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Omicron9 on October 30, 2018, 06:21:17 AM
Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2018, 11:00:52 AM

This weekend past, I watched "The Paradise Syndrome," "And the Children Shall Lead," and "Is There No Beauty in Truth?"  And I was especially curious, because the opening paragraph in the blog post linked above posits that it seems difficult to argue that the episode is quantifiably worse than "Elaan of Troyius," "The Paradise Syndrome" or "And the Children Shall Lead."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bwv 1080

Almost done with the Netflix Hill House haunted house show - very good if you like the genre.  A lot of Shining inspired stuff in it without being too derivative

And great to see Tim Hutton again

Sydney Nova Scotia

Escape to the Country is high on my Not to be Watched list.........
Sydney is my name and games is my game

Omicron9

milk

Bad Moon Rising, S2, E19: in which the characters completely misunderstand the title of the second movement of BWV 1068. How do writers of the likes of Aaron Sorkin misunderstand a piece of extremely famous music so badly? 

Karl Henning

Quote from: bwv 1080 on October 30, 2018, 02:39:30 PM
Almost done with the Netflix Hill House haunted house show - very good if you like the genre.  A lot of Shining inspired stuff in it without being too derivative

And great to see Tim Hutton again

That got my attention  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Quote from: milk on October 31, 2018, 05:08:34 AM

Bad Moon Rising, S2, E19: in which the characters completely misunderstand the title of the second movement of BWV 1068. How do writers of the likes of Aaron Sorkin misunderstand a piece of extremely famous music so badly?

Great episode and great story arc. Love every WW episode that Oliver Platt appears in. Will you be watching "17 People" next? Besides being equally amazing I've long felt that the opening sequence is close to perfection.

I dont think they misunderstood the Bach thing, just a really lame joke that's been done a bunch of times and never works.

edit: oh wait, I've got them the wrong way around - 17 People is the one before Bad Moon Rising.

milk

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 31, 2018, 03:55:24 PM
Great episode and great story arc. Love every WW episode that Oliver Platt appears in. Will you be watching "17 People" next? Besides being equally amazing I've long felt that the opening sequence is close to perfection.

I dont think they misunderstood the Bach thing, just a really lame joke that's been done a bunch of times and never works.

edit: oh wait, I've got them the wrong way around - 17 People is the one before Bad Moon Rising.
I rewatch this sometimes but I've seen WW all the way through more than once so it's hard now. I enjoy showing my wife stuff, she's not American, but WW can get so technical it's not very interesting to her maybe. I miss the general enjoyment of watching it. They should bring back the show w/Sorkin and a whole new cast. Why not?