What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

I watched the 4 hour American Experience series The Circus. I was really surprised how much I liked it. It needed to be broader, it is really only about one circus, the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus, but it's very interesting.

Introverted

Recent viewing:

[asin]B07Q97K8W5[/asin]

The Name of the Rose

Karl Henning

After watching "Redemption" (and the return of Denise Crosby) I put TNG on pause while I rewatched the original Star Trek, I have returned to and am loving TNG.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

j winter

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Ken B

Doc Martin
Up to season 9 now. It was much better in the first few seasons, but it still amuses. Port Wenn has an ample supply of idiots, who supply most of the laughs.

George

Finished up season 2 last night. What an amazingly refreshing, funny, touching, quirky show. Sad that there will be no more seasons. :(
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Charité at War

A disappointment after the first series. Paint by numbers melodrama.

drogulus

I'm teeing up Catherine The Great, starring the equally great Elena Mironova.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

milk

totally fascinating TV. Highly recommended. There are no people like this anymore.

drogulus

I'm almost finished with Season 1 of Forbrydelsen.

I can't decide. I think I like all of them.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

Making slow progress with season two of American Gods which, while well done, has two or three more story lines than it needs in the jumble.

Probably will stop soon with season three of True Detective. Well acted, but stories about missing or kidnapped kids isn't my thing, and I can tell its going to come with endless red herrings in the whodunnit, which I find a painful crime cliche. The dementia/timeline stuff is interesting, though.

milk

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 28, 2019, 03:02:27 PM

Making slow progress with season two of American Gods which, while well done, has two or three more story lines than it needs in the jumble.

Probably will stop soon with season three of True Detective. Well acted, but stories about missing or kidnapped kids isn't my thing, and I can tell its going to come with endless red herrings in the whodunnit, which I find a painful crime cliche. The dementia/timeline stuff is interesting, though.
Some shows seem like they have a premise that can be expanded whether they have mostly the same characters, as in The Wire, or have completely new stories, as in Fargo. Then there's True Detective. I think S1 had elements that perhaps can not be easily repeated. Why was S1 great? Two great actors playing very distinctly drawn characters in a very conflicted and often hilarious relationship in a story that mixed their dreadful personal lives with a fast moving and interesting story. Plus, unusually for TV, TD had one director developing his coherent cinematographic vision in every episode. I don't think that's easy to repeat - especially if the template is just detectives working crime.

George

Great new romantic comedy show, streaming on Amazon Prime.

Liked season one, LOVED season two of this show. Alan Arkin is hilarious!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Irons

British television is with the odd exception (Fleabag) is not what it used to be. The highlight of our week is a French production called Spiral which is currently on its 7th series. A crime drama set in Paris that has the power to shock. The subtitles are not a problem. The legal system in France is completely different in so far as attorney and lawyers  have a much closer relationship with police during the whole investigation of a crime so interest is two way. Currently about the only thing on TV that keeps me awake.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roy Bland

drogulus

Quote from: Irons on November 01, 2019, 01:49:36 AM
British television is with the odd exception (Fleabag) is not what it used to be. The highlight of our week is a French production called Spiral which is currently on its 7th series. A crime drama set in Paris that has the power to shock. The subtitles are not a problem. The legal system in France is completely different in so far as attorney and lawyers  have a much closer relationship with police during the whole investigation of a crime so interest is two way. Currently about the only thing on TV that keeps me awake.

Where is it?? Why are you hogging it? I'm stuck at Saison 6.

Josephine, where are you? Ça va?

Xenophanes

NCIS, Xena, Murdoch, Bones, Andromeda, Pennyworth.

Irons

Quote from: drogulus on November 01, 2019, 10:03:02 AM
     Where is it?? Why are you hogging it? I'm stuck at Saison 6.

Josephine, where are you? Ça va?

Josephine - not a word will I say. :-X We get two episodes back to back on Saturday evenings. Long may Spiral keep on spiralling.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

drogulus

Quote from: Irons on November 03, 2019, 01:51:15 AM
Josephine - not a word will I say. :-X We get two episodes back to back on Saturday evenings. Long may Spiral keep on spiralling.

Have you watched Le Bureau des Légendes? It's one of the best spy series ever. I just found out there will be a 5th season.