What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithE and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on November 27, 2019, 07:50:52 AM
Wonderful opening theme by Wilfreds Josephs

IMHO BBC's series in 1970s were absolutely the best

Agree about Wilfred Joseph. He wrote a fine titles music for 'The Great War' series many decades ago and much else besides. Very little of his music is on CD. Maybe just one of his symphonies (No.5 I think).
This was a fine LP. Never transferred to CD  :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ken B

Quote from: Roy Bland on November 27, 2019, 07:50:52 AM
Wonderful opening theme by Wilfreds Josephs

IMHO BBC's series in 1970s were absolutely the best

I CLAVDIVS is the best scripted drama ever on TV.

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SimonNZ

very silly, often to the point of childishness, but still fun

Irons

Gold Digger on BBC is based on the premise of a divorced woman in her 60's falling for a younger man, my wife is enjoying it more then me - can't think why. I must admit slowly being hooked as there are so many unanswered questions, the main one being does he really love her or is he after her dosh. Also the drama explores the attitude of her grown up kids, and more importantly, the ex-husband and his new girlfriend to the change of circumstances with the arrival of Ben into their lives.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

david johnson

Todd

I caught one episode of The Mandalorian.  God, it's just awful.  I do not fault Pedro Pascal for taking the work, and I appreciate the merch possibilities, but this is possibly even worse than The Last Jedi.  OK, that's too harsh.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

drogulus

I went to the trouble of acquiring Harmy's Despecialized Edition of the first Star Wars film, thinking I might want to finally watch one of these things. I couldn't make myself do it. I do appreciate the genuine '70s appearance of the film from the bits I looked at.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

One of the dvd editions of the ruined Star Wars has as a bonus a transfer of the original laserdisc release of the unmessedwith film.

drogulus

I also have Project 4K77.

97% of project 4K77 is from a single, original 1977 35mm Technicolor release print, scanned at full 4K, cleaned at 4K, and rendered at 4K.

This is resized to 1080p.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

I watched episode 1 of The Crown Series 3 last night having rejoined Netflix. I enjoyed it but thought that Olivia Colman, good as she is, sounded more like Lady Penelope from Thunderbirds than the Queen. In that sense I prefer Claire Foy's interpretation in earlier series. The standout performance for me was Jason Watkins as Harold Wilson. The episode featured Churchill's funeral which I'm old enough to remember. I also watched the last episode of the BBC's adaptation of 'War of the Worlds'. Despite good acting and an impressive musical soundtrack I found this series a bit of a disappointment.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: Moonfish on November 27, 2019, 08:50:14 PM
+1

I read the books as a teenager and also watched The Caesars on ITV with the brilliant Freddie Jones as Claudius but for some reason never felt drawn to watch I Claudius.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Ken B on November 27, 2019, 10:44:30 AM
I CLAVDIVS is the best scripted drama ever on TV.

After four or five months coming to the end of my twentieth or thirtieth watch of The West Wing...which is imo " the best scripted drama ever on TV."

Last night watched the episode on the nuclear power plant crisis and crisis management in California and remarked that it holds up really well if compared to the more recent Chernobyl.

George

Silly fun, along the lines of Police Squad!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

drogulus

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2019, 11:14:13 PM
I watched episode 1 of The Crown Series 3 last night having rejoined Netflix. I enjoyed it but thought that Olivia Colman, good as she is, sounded more like Lady Penelope from Thunderbirds than the Queen. In that sense I prefer Claire Foy's interpretation in earlier series. The standout performance for me was Jason Watkins as Harold Wilson. The episode featured Churchill's funeral which I'm old enough to remember. I also watched the last episode of the BBC's adaptation of 'War of the Worlds'. Despite good acting and an impressive musical soundtrack I found this series a bit of a disappointment.

Each episode of The Crown in the 3rd season feels like a separate story. It doesn't exactly flow. I have enjoyed all 8 of the episodes I've watched.

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2019, 11:14:13 PM

I can remember an announcement in school that Winston Churchill had died.

I agree with your comments on the series. I had forgotten Lady Penelope but also had the impression she was working too hard at being plummy. My thought was Brian Sewell.

Sewell's series The Grand Tour is excellent, but his accent makes the Queen sound like she's from Manchester!

André

Quote from: drogulus on December 02, 2019, 01:55:38 PM
    Each episode of The Crown in the 3rd season feels like a separate story. It doesn't exactly flow. I have enjoyed all 8 of the episodes I've watched.

I agree. The authors view the country's events through Buckingham Palace's windows. The Great Fog of 1952 in season 2 started it if I recall correctly. And so on.

I love Olivia Colman but her emotions range narrowly from nonplussed to overwhelmed, baffled, discomfited or a variation thereof. She makes Charles look like a shakesperean character in comparison.

Season 4 is rumoured to cast Imelda Staunton as a slightly older Queenie.

vandermolen

Quote from: drogulus on December 02, 2019, 01:55:38 PM
Thanks. Yes, they are self-contained as were the three parts of 'Vienna Blood' which I enjoyed.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on December 02, 2019, 02:10:14 PM
I can remember an announcement in school that Winston Churchill had died.

I agree with your comments on the series. I had forgotten Lady Penelope but also had the impression she was working too hard at being plummy. My thought was Brian Sewell.

Sewell's series The Grand Tour is excellent, but his accent makes the Queen sound like she's from Manchester!

My daughter says that Charles is excellent in the series but I've only watched episode 1 (of Series 3) so far. The  art-historian spy Sir Anthony Blunt, in episode 1 was, in real life, rather like Brian Sewell I've always thought.