What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Bingeing on two seasons of Billions.  While the show started off over the top, it has managed to become more so in subsequent seasons.  The second season still has some compelling aspects to the storyline, even as realism starts to fade.  The third season is filled with gobs of smart, snappy dialogue and a whole lot of film and pop culture references, indicating that the writers are more concerned with making the characters sound smart and with it rather than making them sound real.  The plotlines become ridiculous, as well, with degrees of criminality and duplicity that would make even Illinois politicians blush.  The addition of David Strathairn as a New York machine boss is brilliant, though the addition of Mike Birbiglia as a Silicon Valley guy turned venture philanthropy guy is a whiff.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

Seasons one of Riviera and Tin Star. Enjoyed both more than I expected to, and despite both having plenty of preposterous elements.

drogulus

MhZ removed season 1 of Johan Falk before I finished watching it, so I bought the DVD. The series is a Swedish noir cop show, well done of its type but exceptional for one character, a police informer who pretends to be a gangster and finds himself trapped in his identity, exploited by the cops and in constant danger of being killed by the criminals.

https://www.youtube.com/v/NW_5IBL9DNA
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roy Bland

jess

Series 12 (or season 38 to use the season numberings that continue from the classic era of the show)

Utterly magnificent first episode. Absolutely brilliant. I am still in awe, continually rewatching the last five minutes for that incredible reveal and cliffhanger.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 02, 2020, 06:47:57 AM
The Trial of Christine Keeler.

I don't know what you think Jeffrey but after two episodes I am a smidgen disappointed. The only character that comes over strongly for me is Ward. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

milk

This is a binge. It's pretty gripping and well-done.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 02, 2020, 11:58:46 PM
I don't know what you think Jeffrey but after two episodes I am a smidgen disappointed. The only character that comes over strongly for me is Ward.
Happy New Year to you Lol!
I'm reserving judgment for now although I agree with you about the portrayal of Ward. I thought that the drama about Jeremy Thorpe was excellent. My brother said that it made him realise that Hugh Grant could act!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 03, 2020, 01:49:43 AM
Happy New Year to you Lol!
I'm reserving judgment for now although I agree with you about the portrayal of Ward. I thought that the drama about Jeremy Thorpe was excellent. My brother said that it made him realise that Hugh Grant could act!

Happy New Year to you too, Jeffrey.

Because I enjoyed the Thorpe drama so much was why I was looking forward to this. Grant as Thorpe was brilliant as was Ben Whishaw as Norman Scott. "A Very English Scandal" was superbly acted and produced.

I am unconvinced by the Perfumo part as they have made him, maybe because of "Me Too", Harvey Weinstein with knobs on (pun unintentional). They do allude in the programme that he had affairs before Keeler arrived on the scene but I just do not think Perfumo was the sex-mad ogre as portrayed here. Keeler, Rice-Davies and Perfumo are all dead (unlike Norman Scott) so no one left to call them out.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

jess

Quote from: jess on January 02, 2020, 11:31:03 PM
Series 12 (or season 38 to use the season numberings that continue from the classic era of the show)

Utterly magnificent first episode. Absolutely brilliant. I am still in awe, continually rewatching the last five minutes for that incredible reveal and cliffhanger.

Part 2 gave us a very entertaining resolution to that cliffhanger... and honestly this whole story seems like an absolute game changer for the show. There's a change in direction, a new arc delving into Gallifreyan and Time Lord history. I really look forward to seeing where this is headed.

George

Quote from: San Antone on January 05, 2020, 05:36:26 PM
I haven't heard of it but it looks interesting.  I don't have cable TV - do you know where I can watch it besides buying it through Amazon Prime?

Sorry, no, I got the files from a friend.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 04, 2020, 05:26:58 AM
Happy New Year to you too, Jeffrey.

Because I enjoyed the Thorpe drama so much was why I was looking forward to this. Grant as Thorpe was brilliant as was Ben Whishaw as Norman Scott. "A Very English Scandal" was superbly acted and produced.

I am unconvinced by the Perfumo part as they have made him, maybe because of "Me Too", Harvey Weinstein with knobs on (pun unintentional). They do allude in the programme that he had affairs before Keeler arrived on the scene but I just do not think Perfumo was the sex-mad ogre as portrayed here. Keeler, Rice-Davies and Perfumo are all dead (unlike Norman Scott) so no one left to call them out.
Yes, I agree Lol that the Thorpe drama was in a class of its own. I saw him (Thorpe) once, sitting forlornly with his wife at our vets in South Kensington.

Roy Bland

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 06, 2020, 09:43:41 AM
Yes, I agree Lol that the Thorpe drama was in a class of its own. I saw him (Thorpe) once, sitting forlornly with his wife at our vets in South Kensington.

Amazingly his wife stood by him until the end.

I will watch "The White Farm Murders" tonight on ITV. Again a drama based on true facts. I remember following the court case and am shocked it was as long ago as 1985! Bamber was an evil piece of work who murdered his whole family including parents, sister and her two children for inheritance, and he nearly got away with it.
Real life photo of Bamber -

Karl Henning

Just finished Star Trek: The Next Generation, which, I do not mind admitting, I thoroughly enjoyed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

I watched most of the first episode of the Moffat/Gatiss Dracula, and I think fans of their Sherlock will find it entertaining, while others may find the humor undermines the scares. I don't think scares matter much for this one.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

George