What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 21, 2020, 07:50:59 AM
I'll have to check into this series as I recall some other folks saying that they also were hooked on it.  Does anyone know whether or not it's come out on DVD yet?  Maybe can get it through the library (when they reopen)?  Or try 'Britbox', I think it's called, online?

PD

As I said I am late in the game, P. But I believe a co-production for the American market.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 18, 2020, 06:40:24 AM
When you get to 2020 watch out for Brandon from US. A cocky so and so and unable to sit still but his knowledge of everything is unreal. How can someone in their 20's know so much?

I found the final of University Challenge a bit of an anti-climax as it was so one-sided. Still, I'm glad that Bax's 'Tintagel' was the answer to one of the questions.

As for 'Killing Eve' I greatly enjoyed Series 1 but rather lost interest after that. I preferred 'Babylon Berlin' which is the best drama series I have seen on TV in ages. It has kept me gripped through all three series so far.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 21, 2020, 02:08:14 PMAs for 'Killing Eve' I greatly enjoyed Series 1 but rather lost interest after that. I preferred 'Babylon Berlin' which is the best drama series I have seen on TV in ages. It has kept me gripped through all three series so far.
Is Babylon Berlin in English...or German with subtitles as my German language skills are really rusty[Cough, cough].

And thanks everyone for the info on the DVD and your reactions to the series too.   :)

By the way, is Belgravia being shown in the UK?
Pohjolas Daughter

Fëanor

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 21, 2020, 02:37:20 PM
Is Babylon Berlin in English...or German with subtitles as my German language skills are really rusty[Cough, cough].

And thanks everyone for the info on the DVD and your reactions to the series too.   :)

I'm hearing 'Babylon Berlin' with well-dubbed English on Netflix.ca

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Fëanor on April 22, 2020, 10:49:35 AM
I'm hearing 'Babylon Berlin' with well-dubbed English on Netflix.ca
Thank you!   :)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

After chatting with our Jeffrey regarding his continuing escapades during his new-fangled IT history teaching life, I ran across a series created by the BBC about Victorian farm life, etc.  Since I 1) love history, 2) love to garden, and 3) love animals, I found myself clicking on the play button [I had run across the series on youtube].  It's here if anyone is curious:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc9JhVp9B6Crpfu7asBwJZAY87d0iCTYw

Would love to get my hands on a copy of The Book of the Farm.  And am mesmerized by 'the Yorkshire Light'.

Has anyone else here watched any from this series?

PD

p.s.  Am partway through the first episode.
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 21, 2020, 02:37:20 PM

Re: Babylon Berlin. I'm watching it in German with English subtitles (on Sky). I prefer this to dubbing.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 24, 2020, 12:10:06 PM
Re: Babylon Berlin. I'm watching it in German with English subtitles (on Sky). I prefer this to dubbing.
Thanks for the info. 

Just finished watching the first episode of Victorian Farm.  Didn't know that it was Jethro Tull who had invented the first seed drill (in 1701)!  Or how (and extensive) Britain's cannel network changed things for farmers for example.  Fun and interesting to watch.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Halfway through Unorthodox. there are only 4 episodes, and no sequel is envisaged. So far, I find it exceptional. Gripping narrative with amazing 'slice of life' quasi documentary scenes.

Fëanor

Quote from: vandermolen on April 24, 2020, 12:10:06 PM

Dubbed vs. subtitles for me depends on the individual movie or show.  Voice actors can be pretty terrible, especially at expressing the emotions see on screen, (or maybe it's their director).  However I tend to prefer dubbing in general because of my poor eyesight:  I will certainly get eyestrain if the subtitle text is too small.

Pohjolas Daughter

Up through the third episode of Victorian Farm.  Feel like I've learned a lot about farming, but I know that it wouldn't translate well into practical experience for me! lol 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 26, 2020, 07:44:59 AM
Up through the third episode of Victorian Farm.  Feel like I've learned a lot about farming, but I know that it wouldn't translate well into practical experience for me! lol 

PD

(* chortle *)

Thread Duty:

Last night, I embarked on a re-watch of all of Columbo
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 26, 2020, 07:56:39 AM
(* chortle *)

Thread Duty:

Alllll of Columbo?!  How many seasons/episodes were there of that one?  I remember one bit from viewing many years ago which cracked up an old boyfriend and me at the time.  For some reason or another there was a protest (for duck rights??)...something having to do with ducks and one of the protestors was holding up a sign which read:  Bucks for Ducks!  Do refresh me, when you finally get to that one, as to what all was going on there Karl.  It became an inside joke to us at the time...something to make us laugh.   ;)

Enjoy!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Needing something to pass the time, I decided to watch HBO's The Outsider.  A murder mystery/horror, it starts off strong in the first two episodes, but then quickly goes down the toilet.  Ben Mendelsohn does solid work, but there are reasons I don't read Stephen King's dross or watch movies based on his dross anymore. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

j winter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 26, 2020, 07:56:39 AM

Thread Duty:

Gotta love Peter Falk...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

SimonNZ

now binge-watching the 2018/19 season of University Challenge

edit: an interesting article in the Guardian I just stumbled upon:

I loved appearing on University Challenge. Then I looked at Twitter...
There are few women on the show, and after receiving a torrent of abuse on social media, Lucy Clarke (Jesus, Oxford) isn't surprised

and from that I'll have to check out the 2009 season to see Gail Trimble who "answered more questions correctly than anyone on the show, ever. "

edit again: another Guardian article:

Trimble finally floored - by lads' mag offer of photoshoot
She's the smartest contestant to appear on University Challenge, knows about pretty much everything from classical literature to botany and so it was with a certain inevitability that discussion yesterday turned to what Gail Trimble looks like with her clothes off.

"On Monday night the PhD student captained her college, Corpus Christi, Oxford, to the series title, having scored the highest individual scores of any contestant since the programme began in 1962. But the morning after Trimble, 26, revealed that a lads' mag had declared itself interested in more than her brains. "Would you believe it, my brother received a Facebook message from Nuts yesterday morning saying, 'Can we have your sister's email address, we want her to do a tasteful shoot'," she told BBC Breakfast. "So of course he sent them an answer saying: 'Seriously mate, would you give your sister's contact details to Nuts?' "

Trimble has been catapulted into the media spotlight as the final approached, by a succession of performances of such brilliance that one unfortunate opponent called her an "intellectual blitzkrieg", and which at one point provoked quizmaster Jeremy Paxman to astonished laughter.

But while many have declared their admiration, Trimble has also attracted a striking level of criticism of her looks, mannerisms and perceived demeanour, with blogosphere critics declaring her snobbish or haughty.

"Suddenly there's this thing that involves being in the public eye, and I find all this reaction to me, and I'm sure this wouldn't be the case if I wasn't a woman," she told the BBC."

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Watched the new "Van der Valk" last night. A waste of two hours and nowhere as good as the original in the 1970's starring Barry Foster.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 26, 2020, 09:02:40 AM
Alllll of Columbo?!  How many seasons/episodes were there of that one?  I remember one bit from viewing many years ago which cracked up an old boyfriend and me at the time.  For some reason or another there was a protest (for duck rights??)...something having to do with ducks and one of the protestors was holding up a sign which read:  Bucks for Ducks!  Do refresh me, when you finally get to that one, as to what all was going on there Karl.  It became an inside joke to us at the time...something to make us laugh.   ;)

Enjoy!

PD

Almost 70 episodes, I think.  Will look sharp for the duck this time!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot