What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWV 1080

The HBO Perry Mason, which is quite good - realistic picture of 1931 LA without trying to hard to be cynical or woke

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 22, 2020, 05:02:04 AM
Finished Season 2 of the Life on Mars over the weekend. Brilliant twists and turns in the last episode to "close" the overall arc of this story in the early 70's. Had to watch a couple of episodes of the spin off Ashes to Ashes straight after, now set in the 80's, with actually a very smart integration of the previous series. More to watch i guess  :) Oh and it remains very politically incorrect and the decors, clothes, cars, etc are accurately depicting the relevant decades. 

One month later, finished the 3 series of Ashes to Ashes on the weekend. Great series, great closure of the overall story arc again, topsy- turvy right until the end. And a brilliant soundtrack throughout to boot.

The references to the Life on Mars are regular throughout so the 2 series must be watched in order for a full understanding.

Worth the time. Series 1 is a little slow to take off but it ramps up from there. Patience is key. The addition of Daniel Mays in the third series is the cherry on top of a very good cake already.
Olivier

BWV 1080

Just finished Undone, an animated philosophical series set in San Antonio on Amazon Prime w Bob Odenkirk

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/undone/s01

George

Quote from: BWV 1080 on July 22, 2020, 09:34:08 AM
Just finished Undone, an animated philosophical series set in San Antonio on Amazon Prime w Bob Odenkirk

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/undone/s01

It's awesome!!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Well, we have not been watching a lot of movies in the last couple of weeks, but some TV shows or streamed programs as shown below - Dave :)

Sinatra - All or Nothing at All - two 2-hour episodes on Netflix - excellent w/ a LOT of great singing and much footage never seen before - highly recommended to Frank fans!

Blue Bloods - Season 10 - shortened to 19 episodes (vs. the usual 22) because of COVID - a $30 purchase on Amazon Video - a recent favorite of ours and still going strong.

How Winston Churchill Changed the World - Great Courses lecture series (24 half hour talks) - decided to do streaming video only (a less expensive option) - using the Roku channel app which has worked just fine - excellent course and instructor for those interested in this famous 20th century British politician - I wanted to read the new bio on him from a few years ago (last pic) but listed at over 1100 pages - at my age, my attention span has limited the size of books I read or more accurate 'finish' -  :laugh:

Todd

I'm not a sports guy, but given current circumstances, I am working my way through The Last Dance because why not.  Turns out Michael Jordan was the key to the success of the 90s Bulls.  Who knew?  As filmed and presented, Jordan goes past supreme confidence into straight-up arrogance, but everyone agrees he was the best, so his attitude is completely justified.  I had forgotten about his penchant for gambling, but this documentary shows just how grotesque and irresponsible the press can be when it revisits how various esteemed members of the Fourth Estate "reported" on possible links between Jordan's gambling habit and his father's murder.  Oh, yes, and Jordan was supposed to use his voice in politics, according to some.  The selected game footage makes basketball appear more exciting than it actually is, so kudos to the ESPN production team.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roy Bland

André

Another Harlan Coben story adapted by Netflix. Deadly efficient.

steve ridgway

Smithsonian Channel The Pacific War In Color. I didn't know so much of the detail but America was definitely great then and I can understand why in the end they decided to use the atom bombs.

Pohjolas Daughter

Picked up a couple of DVDs from my library which I'm looking forward to viewing:  Killing Eve (season 1) which I had read good things about here and one which I hadn't heard of before but sounded interesting called Hidden (series 1).  It's apparently a serial-killer thriller set in Northern Wales.  I suspect that I will need something light-weight and cheerful after watching this lot or maybe even earlier?  :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Just watched the first episode of Killing Eve; I'm hooked!  :)  Hadn't heard of Jodi Comer before now.  Has she done much t.v. or movies?  Sandra Oh I know from Grey's Anatomy.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 11, 2020, 11:08:23 AM
Just watched the first episode of Killing Eve; I'm hooked!  :)  Hadn't heard of Jodi Comer before now.  Has she done much t.v. or movies?  Sandra Oh I know from Grey's Anatomy.

PD

Jodie Comer is not only easy on the eye but also a very good actress indeed. I doubt if you can get it P but she played an episode of Alan Bennett's "Talking Heads" where a cast of one talks directly to the camera for half an hour. Brilliantly acted Comer plays an actress starting out coerced in making a blue movie. Written by Bennett in the 1980's yet the subject matter  thanks to the likes of Weinstein is bang up to date.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 11, 2020, 09:38:46 AM
Hidden (series 1).  It's apparently a serial-killer thriller set in Northern Wales.

This was a great series, grim, twisted and engrossing although you might find the subtitled Welsh conversations more comprehensible than the accented English sections :-\.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 11, 2020, 01:14:33 PM
Jodie Comer is not only easy on the eye but also a very good actress indeed. I doubt if you can get it P but she played an episode of Alan Bennett's "Talking Heads" where a cast of one talks directly to the camera for half an hour. Brilliantly acted Comer plays an actress starting out coerced in making a blue movie. Written by Bennett in the 1980's yet the subject matter  thanks to the likes of Weinstein is bang up to date.
Yes, I've been quite impressed regarding her acting skills!  Watched a few episodes yesterday (too friggin' hot to feel like doing much else).
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 11, 2020, 11:08:23 AM

PD

Killing Eve is an awesome show! I trust you've seen Fleabag?

André

Just started season 1 of this series from Finland. So far, it looks promising:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on August 12, 2020, 07:37:48 AM
Killing Eve is an awesome show! I trust you've seen Fleabag?
No, I don't know Fleabag.  What did you like about it George?

Been cruising through the KE series (just finished the one in which it looks like, and I don't want to spoil it for others here, a certain someone has been betrayed and will be stuck in a prison!).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Finished Season 1 of KE.  Really enjoyed it!  Have requested Season 2 through local library. 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 12, 2020, 08:25:16 AM
No, I don't know Fleabag.  What did you like about it George?

Been cruising through the KE series (just finished the one in which it looks like, and I don't want to spoil it for others here, a certain someone has been betrayed and will be stuck in a prison!).

PD

Fleabag - adorable, quirky, groundbreaking, hilarious, smart.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on August 12, 2020, 11:03:13 AM
Fleabag - adorable, quirky, groundbreaking, hilarious, smart.
Sounds nice!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter