What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 11, 2020, 11:08:23 AM
Just watched the first episode of Killing Eve; I'm hooked!  :)  Hadn't heard of Jodi Comer before now.  Has she done much t.v. or movies?  Sandra Oh I know from Grey's Anatomy.

PD

Jodi Comer also had a supporting but very good part in a great series called my Mad Fat Diary, that is well worth a watch.
3 series in total. Dramatic, hilarious, touching and everything in between.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Mad_Fat_Diary

I'll join George on the praise and recommendation for Fleabag. One flip-side is that you might find any series you watch after that sub-par...  0:)
Olivier

George

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 12, 2020, 11:41:42 AM
I'll join George on the praise and recommendation for Fleabag. One flip-side is that you might find any series you watch after that sub-par...  0:)

So true!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you gents for the feedback!  :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

2 Australia-related series and documentary recently broadcast on the BBC:

Myriam Margoyles - Almost Australian
New Australian citizen and celebrated film star Miriam Margolyes embarks on a 10,000-kilometre, two-month journey to discover what it means to be Australian today.

The Australian Dream
Featuring Australian Football League (AFL) player Adam Goodes, the film examines Australian Aboriginal identity and racism in modern Australia, with the sustained booing of Goodes by spectators as a starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/v/3WlOnCcpAyQ

I came to this Goodes documentary with no knowledge or background of the contributors, no idea of who Adam Goodes is or how famous he was, and more importantly only a tiny tiny bird's eye view of the Aboriginal history itself. This documentary was gripping and hard hitting.It certainly gives food for thought as to which extent a country, any country, my country has or should have a good look at the uncomfortable darker shades of their own history.

The Margoyles series approaches a broader range of subjects on being "Australian", including the aboriginal population, migrants, Australian way of life, climate impacts, farming and industries, inequalities, etc. It obviously skims on the surface on each of them but still offers an interesting broad view of the overall matter. Her unfiltered style certainly adds a particular "touch" to all of her encounters.

Both worth a watch in their own way.

Madiel, Daverz, Rob,
May i ask for an Australian perspective please, particularly the Goodes story, how big and ugly it actually got, its impact in a good/bad way since it kicked off, your perception of it all ? Just after another point of view for my information to add to this gripping watch. thank you.
Olivier

milk

Engaging viewing about the killing of a US DEA agent. It's violent in its descriptions of events. Hey: did the CIA sell drugs in America to fund the contras?

Pohjolas Daughter

Currently watching DVDs of the first season of "Hidden".  It's a "blend of police-procedural, serial killer thriller, and dark mystery" set in the mountains of northern Wales.  It's good but hard to watch at times.  They do an excellent job of looking at the characters' lives of all involved, so that you start to understand why they are the way they are.

Has anyone else here been watching it?  I don't know whether it's still being filmed, etc.  I try and not to google the show as I realize that it also brings up articles which can spoil future episode viewing for me!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

After a long and inexplicable delay I'm watching season 5 of The Bureau.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Need to take a break from murder mysteries, etc., for a while.  Just finished watching the second season of Killing Eve and the third hasn't been released yet on DVD, so that will help!  ;)  I have requested a copy of a movie with Sandra Oh which I've been wanting to watch for some time.  It's called Sideways and remember that it received excellent reviews.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 25, 2020, 08:03:46 AM
Need to take a break from murder mysteries, etc., for a while.  Just finished watching the second season of Killing Eve and the third hasn't been released yet on DVD, so that will help!  ;)  I have requested a copy of a movie with Sandra Oh which I've been wanting to watch for some time.  It's called Sideways and remember that it received excellent reviews.

PD

When you're ready for more, check out Blacklist. It's great. My girlfriend and I just started season 2.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on August 25, 2020, 08:06:49 AM
When you're ready for more, check out Blacklist. It's great. My girlfriend and I just started season 2.
I used to watch Blacklist, but lost interest in it after a while.  But thank you for the suggestion!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 25, 2020, 08:10:21 AM
I used to watch Blacklist, but lost interest in it after a while.  But thank you for the suggestion!  :)

PD

Ok, no problem.

Out of curiosity, was it in the first season or second season you lost interest? (I hope you say the first)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on August 25, 2020, 08:30:11 AM
Ok, no problem.

Out of curiosity, was it in the first season or second season you lost interest? (I hope you say the first)
I honestly can't remember..maybe third or fourth?  Part of the issue might have also been not catching it consistently during the (then) current season?  For me, the plots just kept getting more and more bizarre.  In any event, I hope that you two enjoy it.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 25, 2020, 09:47:49 AM
I honestly can't remember..maybe third or fourth?  Part of the issue might have also been not catching it consistently during the (then) current season?  For me, the plots just kept getting more and more bizarre.  In any event, I hope that you two enjoy it.  :)

PD

Thanks!

SimonNZ

Rewatched these and found both still excellent. Particularly impressed by Smiley's People and the brilliance of the screenwriting in the final episode that confounds expectations of rising drama and standard dramatic climax and is almost entirely three long conversations between two people across desks.

George

drogulus

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 29, 2020, 05:03:52 PM

Rewatched these and found both still excellent. Particularly impressed by Smiley's People and the brilliance of the screenwriting in the final episode that confounds expectations of rising drama and standard dramatic climax and is almost entirely three long conversations between two people across desks.

This is the version of TTSS completists must have, in the original 7 parts with about 25 minutes that were cut when they produced the 6 part version on previous discs. Accept no substitutes or else. PQ is better, too, quite good considering.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

The did set I watched, pictured above, had seven parts.

drogulus

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 29, 2020, 09:50:45 PM
The did set I watched, pictured above, had seven parts.

Maybe it's only the Region 1 discs that are in 6 parts.

Papy Oli

Broadchurch, Season 1.

Finally catching up on Broadchurch via Britbox. Now I see why so much praise was heaped on this series. Just brilliant. Starting Series 2 this weekend.

Alternating this with a first watch of:

If only to lighten the mood  :laugh:
Olivier

André

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 11, 2020, 01:07:42 AM
Broadchurch, Season 1.

Finally catching up on Broadchurch via Britbox. Now I see why so much praise was heaped on this series. Just brilliant. Starting Series 2 this weekend.

Alternating this with a first watch of:

If only to lighten the mood  :laugh:

Broadchurch is epoch-making stuff IMO. It kickstarted series like Shetland, Hinterland, Trapped.

Season 2 of the finnish series Deadwind:

Not as good as Trapped (an icelandic crime series in 2 seasons), but good nonetheless. I'd rate them in this order: Broadchurch, Shetland, Trapped, Hinterland and Deadwind.