What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 28, 2020, 06:13:15 AM

I watched that not so long ago, and despite its very high reputation I found I had mixed feelings. The political stuff I thought was done well, but the interpersonal stuff around the four leads was often unconvincing or mishandled. And Gina McKee was largely wasted in the most poorly written role.

Papy Oli

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 28, 2020, 02:16:27 PM
I watched that not so long ago, and despite its very high reputation I found I had mixed feelings. The political stuff I thought was done well, but the interpersonal stuff around the four leads was often unconvincing or mishandled. And Gina McKee was largely wasted in the most poorly written role.

I see what you mean. It felt very rough around the edges at some point... I found some of the acting over the top in the first episode, to the point of distraction at times. I'll give it 2 or 3 more episodes and see whether I stick to it.
Olivier

drogulus

I'm half way through The Comey Rule. The interesting parts so far are the portraits of the supporting players on the Hillary investigation team. Jeff Daniels had the task of making something dramatic out of Comey according to Comey's own view of himself. The Page/Strzok dynamic duo get an interesting treatment, Page in particular for her hard line on Her Beastliness.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Fëanor

Quote from: Brian on September 28, 2020, 05:41:23 AM
We really enjoyed Grantchester a lot early on - the second half of series 2 produces far too much personal melodrama between the characters, but the first series and a half are great. We're just starting series 3 and hoping the drama calms down a bit.

Well thanks for that insight.  Being an old, retired guy, I'll probably watch the whole Grantchester series, 6 seasons I think.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Quote from: Fëanor on September 28, 2020, 03:49:52 PM
Well thanks for that insight.  Being an old, retired guy, I'll probably watch the whole Grantchester series, 6 seasons I think.
Ha, we're definitely going to watch the whole thing because of the pandemic!

Roy Bland

Pohjolas Daughter

Watched the third season of Killing Eve which I enjoyed.  The way that the season ended, it felt like the end of the series.  Thoughts others?  Trying not to put any spoilers out there...yet at least.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 03, 2020, 08:24:47 AM
Watched the third season of Killing Eve which I enjoyed.  The way that the season ended, it felt like the end of the series.  Thoughts others?  Trying not to put any spoilers out there...yet at least.

PD

There is going to be a season 4 (thank goodness.)

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a30756019/killing-eve-season-4/

Daverz

Lately, I've just not felt like watching episodic TV of any kind.  Usually my watching ends with "I don't care what happens to any of these people".  Previously, I got much of the way thru the first season of Umbrella Academy before realizing it wasn't going to get any less dumb or better acted.  Before that I watched nearly 3 seasons  the German "DarK" series before realizing I just didn't give a damn anymore.  I'm reduced to watching Poldark, which I'd call "comfort TV".

André

Just started this:

Looks promising. You can count on the Icelanders to create gloomy atmosphere and make good use of their natural surroundings.

Papy Oli

Eventually gave up on "Friends from the North" after 3 episodes  :blank:

Made a long overdue start to "The Crown" this morning !  :-[
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on October 03, 2020, 10:56:22 AM
There is going to be a season 4 (thank goodness.)

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a30756019/killing-eve-season-4/
Thank you for the news.  Will be interesting to see were they take it from here....considering all that has happened.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 04, 2020, 07:07:57 AM
Thank you for the news.  Will be interesting to see were they take it from here....considering all that has happened.

PD

I absolutely agree.

milk

George

Quote from: milk on October 04, 2020, 05:56:22 PM
How is it?

It's a bit too early to say, but so far I like it. More than the prior season. Seasons one and two were awesome, though.

Jo498

How does the Fargo series relate/compare to the movie from the 1990s?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Revisiting Blackadder, Night Gallery and the 1980s Twilight Zone
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 11, 2020, 05:43:14 AM
Revisiting Blackadder, Night Gallery and the 1980s Twilight Zone
Oh, how fun!  I loved Blackadder and the I think earlier Twilight Zone shows.  Don't know the latter ones.  Not certain whether or not I've watched Night Gallery before?
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 11, 2020, 12:45:44 PM
Oh, how fun!  I loved Blackadder and the I think earlier Twilight Zone shows.  Don't know the latter ones.  Not certain whether or not I've watched Night Gallery before?

The original Twilight Zone is a stone-cold classic. I periodically watch through its five seasons. The New Twilight Zone (this 80s incarnation has some wonderful highlights. Same with Night Gallery. The truly must-see Night Gallery story is "The Caterpillar" with Laurence Harvey (who was the brainwashed soldier in The Manchurian Candidate.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot