What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

André

Quote from: André on October 04, 2020, 05:34:33 AM
Just started this:

Looks promising. You can count on the Icelanders to create gloomy atmosphere and make good use of their natural surroundings.

Finished season one yesterday. I just so happens that the plot is basically identical with that of Hinterland. The scenaristic treatment is different though, with Hinterland making big detours before eventually tying the loose ends together. That's of course the whole idea: one starts to figure they are not loose ends after all, that every plot twist is related to another, and another, until the whole web becomes visible. With Valhalla Murders the main thread is never lost and the path to the conclusion more direct. 8 episodes vs 13, with the exact same ingredients. The difference is one of setting: the frozen landscapes of Reykjavik vs the barren boondocks of Mid-Wales. The storyline is taut, the acting tough and the pacing tight. Hold on to your hats.

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 11, 2020, 05:43:14 AM
Revisiting Blackadder, Night Gallery and the 1980s Twilight Zone

I vividly recall Night Gallery. One episode, "A Fear of Spiders", haunted me for a very long time after seeing the original broadcast, as l suffered from severe arachnophobia until 2005 or so.

Serling's original The Twilight Zone is in my bluray library. I'm not familiar with any other incarnation except for the theatrical film from 1983, now infamous for the deaths of Vic Morrow and two child actors. ( The film itself is reasonably entertaining, if imperfectly so. )

As for Blackadder, I only saw about one minute from one episode back when it was new, so l have no basis for an opinion or comment.

Hope you're having fun, Karl.  8)

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 11, 2020, 12:56:39 PM
The original Twilight Zone is a stone-cold classic. I periodically watch through its five seasons. The New Twilight Zone (this 80s incarnation has some wonderful highlights. Same with Night Gallery. The truly must-see Night Gallery story is "The Caterpillar" with Laurence Harvey (who was the brainwashed soldier in The Manchurian Candidate.
I will keep them in mind, thanks!  :)  I'm racking my brain to remember the name of a horror show that I think aired late afternoon in the 1970'?  There was one episode in which peoples' souls were kept captive in glass jars?  Oh, I found it!  The name of the show was Circle of Fear. :D  I also loved Alfred Hitchcock Presents  What about Kolchak:  The Night Stawker?

Here:  Currently working my way through The Crown (just started the second season.  Prior to that, a very good series set in Wales called The Killing (season one of that).
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2020, 07:47:50 AM
I will keep them in mind, thanks!  :)  I'm racking my brain to remember the name of a horror show that I think aired late afternoon in the 1970'?  There was one episode in which peoples' souls were kept captive in glass jars?  Oh, I found it!  The name of the show was Circle of Fear. :D  I also loved Alfred Hitchcock Presents  What about Kolchak:  The Night Stawker?

Here:  Currently working my way through The Crown (just started the second season.  Prior to that, a very good series set in Wales called The Killing (season one of that).

Cool. Last night, I finished Blackadder Goes Forth
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 16, 2020, 10:31:54 AM
Haven't seen that in ages!  Is that the one set during WWI?

Wonder what Rowan Atkinson has been up to lately?  Or at least pre-Covid?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2020, 10:54:34 AM
Haven't seen that in ages!  Is that the one set during WWI?

Wonder what Rowan Atkinson has been up to lately?  Or at least pre-Covid?

PD

WWI, yes.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Rizzoli & Isles - we've been missing watching our old crime series (e.g. NCIS, Bones, Major Crimes, Closer, etc.), SO had to find 'something' new to us that would hopefully match those types of plots & characters (short description below) - rented the first season from Amazon Prime and am enjoying - Sasha Alexander is married to a Ponti son - they have two kids and their granny is Sophia Loren.  Dave :)

QuoteRizzoli & Isles is an American crime drama television series starring Angie Harmon as police detective Jane Rizzoli and Sasha Alexander as medical examiner Dr. Maura Isles. The one-hour drama is based on the series of Rizzoli & Isles novels by Tess Gerritsen. It premiered on TNT on July 12, 2010, and aired 105 episodes in seven seasons, concluding on September 5, 2016.[Source]

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 16, 2020, 11:14:43 AM
Rizzoli & Isles - we've been missing watching our old crime series (e.g. NCIS, Bones, Major Crimes, Closer, etc.), SO had to find 'something' new to us that would hopefully match those types of plots & characters (short description below) - rented the first season from Amazon Prime and am enjoying - Sasha Alexander is married to a Ponti son - they have two kids and their granny is Sophia Loren.  Dave :)

I've heard of that show but never seen it.  Which network is it on?

Those grandkids are very lucky to have such a cool granny!  I hope that they get to hear lots of her stories (age appropriately of course!).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2020, 11:38:12 AM
I've heard of that show but never seen it.  Which network is it on?

Those grandkids are very lucky to have such a cool granny!  I hope that they get to hear lots of her stories (age appropriately of course!).

PD

Hi PD - the series ended in 2016 after 7 seasons; we bought the first season on Amazon Prime for $13.99 in SD instead of HD for $6 more - not sure what other services are offering the show (and unlikely any 'free' options at the moment) - the Wiki link stated that the series would be offered on HBOMax, but that would be a subscription service - so looks like one is stuck w/ putting out some $$.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks for the info Dave!  Perhaps I can borrow the DVDs through my library?  Very handy way to watch movies/series "Cheap! Cheap!" though depending upon which library in the system has them and how popular they are, you can wait awhile.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2020, 12:53:27 PM
Thanks for the info Dave!  Perhaps I can borrow the DVDs through my library?  Very handy way to watch movies/series "Cheap! Cheap!" though depending upon which library in the system has them and how popular they are, you can wait awhile.   :)

PD

The library is a wonderful resource!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 16, 2020, 12:56:50 PM
The library is a wonderful resource!
Yes!  I love mine!  They've managed (a number of months ago?) to come up with various systems for picking up holds and lately, also have a room where the holds are, but they also have things like book recs, summer reading book clubs earlier, a selection of DVDs that you can look through, etc.  Not the same as being able to roam through the building, but so much nicer than just going to pick up holds at a table....though I'm sure that that was a lot of work for them to do that!  Then you do self-checkout.  Sanitizer provided by entrance (mask required) and by the computers (checkout).  Great job by staff!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 16, 2020, 10:31:54 AM

The closing scenes are incredibly moving.

One of the stars of the show, Hugh Laurie is featuring in a new drama series Roadkill which begins tomorrow.

PD, Rowan Atkinson is now extremely rich. He turns up once a year around Christmas time playing the part of Maigret.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 17, 2020, 12:54:38 AM

One of the stars of the show, Hugh Laurie is featuring in a new drama series Roadkill which begins tomorrow.

PD, Rowan Atkinson is now extremely rich. He turns up once a year around Christmas time playing the part of Maigret.

I much preferred Blackadder 3 and 4 to the earlier series, notwithstanding Miranda Richardson's hilarious performance as Elizabeth 1. In Blackadder 3 I especially liked the episode featuring Robbie Coltrane as Dr Johnson. The ending of final episode of Blackadder 4 was indeed incredibly moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Must admit, I remember and enjoy better the earlier Black Adders too.

What's the Hugh Laurie one supposed to be about?  I love his acting skills....really enjoyed watching House.  Was that series shown/popular in the UK?

Thanks for the updates Irons.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Thanks for the tip on Roadkill. I'll definitely check it out.

I really enjoyed Chance and The Night Manager. I skipped Avenue 5, though. Is that any good?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Also watching the new 2020 mini-series Flesh and Blood (have viewed 2 of 4 episodes) from Masterpiece Theater on PBS - last night's watch ended w/ some upcoming ads and included Roadkill - we are fans of Hugh Laurie, so probably a watch for us too!

Laurie is such a versatile performer - comedian, serious and less serious actor (father of Stuart Little), TV personality (wife adored him in House), and singer/musician - we saw him a half dozen years ago in Durham, NC on piano w/ a band - sang and had some great funny stories.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on October 17, 2020, 07:10:42 AM
Thanks for the tip on Roadkill. I'll definitely check it out.

I really enjoyed Chance and The Night Manager. I skipped Avenue 5, though. Is that any good?
I googled Roadkill and supposedly PBS is supposed to be airing it starting November 1st.  I hadn't realized that they would be showing it in the US and so soon!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 17, 2020, 07:32:23 AM
Also watching the new 2020 mini-series Flesh and Blood (have viewed 2 of 4 episodes) from Masterpiece Theater on PBS - last night's watch ended w/ some upcoming ads and included Roadkill - we are fans of Hugh Laurie, so probably a watch for us too!

Laurie is such a versatile performer - comedian, serious and less serious actor (father of Stuart Little), TV personality (wife adored him in House), and singer/musician - we saw him a half dozen years ago in Durham, NC on piano w/ a band - sang and had some great funny stories.  Dave :)

Yes, he's quite multitalented!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter