What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 22, 2020, 03:17:36 PM

Finished The Crown, season three.

And while there's much to admire and its still good television, I'm disappointed that they've started playing so fast and loose with the historical record (sadly, no, that dirty limerick contest between Margaret and LBJ never happened). And a couple of big missteps the first two seasons never made - the most cring-inducing one involving a teardrop. They also seem to be galloping to quickly towards more modern timed when they could have seasons covering individual years at a more leisurely pace.

Erin Doherty wonderful as Anne, and steals every scene she's in. Loved her singing alond with "Starman" in Anne's voice.

I have not watched any of it, although I would like to. It is receiving some damming reviews not least the host of inaccurate events and portrayal of people who are still with us. Not a comfortable viewing for William and Harry I would guess.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 24, 2020, 12:15:40 AM
I have not watched any of it, although I would like to. It is receiving some damming reviews not least the host of inaccurate events and portrayal of people who are still with us. Not a comfortable viewing for William and Harry I would guess.

Have been watching this series. Huw Watkins as Harold Wilson is brilliant as is Princess Anne. The Aberfan episode was very moving and sensitively done.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

Quote from: vandermolen on November 24, 2020, 12:37:51 AM
Have been watching this series. Huw Watkins as Harold Wilson is brilliant as is Princess Anne. The Aberfan episode was very moving and sensitively done.

I have no special concern over how docu-fictions hurt the royals. I do have a general concern about how anyone might be hurt by fiction masquerading as truth.

That aside the perfomances are excellent all around. A point I find interesting is that the portrayal of Thatcher is not quite the hatchet job one might have thought it would be.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Quote from: drogulus on December 04, 2020, 09:05:07 AM
     I have no special concern over how docu-fictions hurt the royals. I do have a general concern about how anyone might be hurt by fiction masquerading as truth.

That aside the perfomances are excellent all around. A point I find interesting is that the portrayal of Thatcher is not quite the hatchet job one might have thought it would be.

Yes, good point. It's more nuanced than the usual caricatures, although not entirely convincing.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ

Season three.

I get the criticisms made about this, but I was still happy to go along for the ride, and frankly prefer the outside world setting to the moronic park.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Roy Bland

George

SimonNZ

Better Call Saul, season 5

still consistently great

steve ridgway

Started watching The Fall, series 1, episode 1 some 7 years after everyone else. Will be continuing with episode 2.

Roy Bland

vandermolen

Just finished watching Series 4 of The Crown. I especially liked the portrayal of Princess Anne. I thought that Gillian Anderson delivered a rather bizarre performance as Mrs Thatcher.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on December 13, 2020, 11:32:46 AM
Just finished watching Series 4 of The Crown. I especially liked the portrayal of Princess Anne. I thought that Gillian Anderson delivered a rather bizarre performance as Mrs Thatcher.

Physical mannerisms were exaggerated, as in an old b&w silent movie: from Thatcher/Anderson's constant tilt of the head to Charles/O'Connor's stoop and his hands (in his back or his vest pockets), to Diana/Corrin's side or upward glances. They should have eased on those once they appeared in an episode. It became tiresome after a while.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on December 13, 2020, 12:02:51 PM
Physical mannerisms were exaggerated, as in an old b&w silent movie: from Thatcher/Anderson's constant tilt of the head to Charles/O'Connor's stoop and his hands (in his back or his vest pockets), to Diana/Corrin's side or upward glances. They should have eased on those once they appeared in an episode. It became tiresome after a while.
Good point. I agree.

Fëanor

I'm watching Borgen on Netflix.ca.  Political and personal drama:  really good despite that I have to read subtitles ...

vandermolen

We watched the first episode of 'The Undoing' last night with Nicole Kidman (whom I've always admired as an actor) and Hugh Grant. It was intriguing:

Fëanor

Quote from: André on December 13, 2020, 12:02:51 PM
Physical mannerisms {in The Crown} were exaggerated, as in an old b&w silent movie: from Thatcher/Anderson's constant tilt of the head to Charles/O'Connor's stoop and his hands (in his back or his vest pockets), to Diana/Corrin's side or upward glances. They should have eased on those once they appeared in an episode. It became tiresome after a while.

Good points ... especially for Anderson as Thatcher.

Todd

I was all set to watch the French television documentary about Suleiman the Magnificent.  I fired it up, and just the intro has excessively frenetic camera work, a rather tired fixation on life in the harem complete with scantily clad women cavorting together, and then the already overwrought music morphs into the theme from Game of Thrones.  Off it went.  Perhaps the musical transformation was meant for English speaking audiences only, but what I'm looking for is a Nova/American Experience/Secrets of the Dead style documentary on Suleiman - and Timur, Babur, Darius, etc.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Iota

Quote from: Fëanor on December 17, 2020, 11:55:28 AM
I'm watching Borgen on Netflix.ca.  Political and personal drama:  really good despite that I have to read subtitles ...

Yes, excellent. That arrived on the BBC 8 or 9 years ago in the wake of other Scandinavian dramas of such high standard (The Killing, The Bridge), they made our homegrown efforts seem rather drab by comparison at the time.

George

Much funnier than I thought it would be. Watching on Netflix.