What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fëanor

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 03, 2021, 08:07:57 AM
Having fun watching the first season of Borgen.  For some reason or not, I didn't think that I could get it through my library system but checked again and bingo!  I've watched through Episode 6.  Very good political drama series!

PD

I enjoyed seasons 1 & 2 of Borgen.  But I've put season 3 aside for a while.

The the political intrigue is fairly episodic, (at least for the first two season);  the greater continuity came for the personal dramas rather than the political.  Season 3 seems a break, almost new beginning;  personal relationships have shifted radically and Nyborg is starting her own, new political party, leaving the Moderate Party as too centrist and leaning increasing to the right.

I'll get back to it but I'm giving it rest after S03E02.

Roy Bland

drogulus

I'm gearing up for series 8 of Engrenages.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SonicMan46

Murdoch Mysteries using our new Acorn subscription, and really enjoying.  Also for the holidays we treated ourselves to a new UHD TV (Sony 49"), replacing our 9 y/o LG 42" - about 30+% more screen area - needed to use a central stand attached to the back rather than the legs shown - been watching some spectacular 4K nature shows and bought a few 4K digital films from Amazon that were not in my collection.  8)

drogulus

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 05, 2021, 10:15:50 AM
Also for the holidays we treated ourselves to a new UHD TV (Sony 49"), replacing our 9 y/o LG 42" - about 30+% more screen area - needed to use a central stand attached to the back rather than the legs shown - been watching some spectacular 4K nature shows and bought a few 4K digital films from Amazon that were not in my collection.  8)

You made an excellent choice. I have a very similar 49" Sony, a 900E. The ratings site I consult says the 950H is the best 49" LED made.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SonicMan46

Murdoch Mysteries using our new Acorn subscription, and really enjoying.  Also for the holidays we treated ourselves to a new UHD TV (Sony 49"), replacing our 9 y/o LG 42" - about 30+% more screen area - needed to use a central stand attached to the back rather than the legs shown - been watching some spectacular 4K nature shows and bought a few 4K digital films from Amazon that were not in my collection.  8)

Quote from: drogulus on January 05, 2021, 11:35:22 AM
     You made an excellent choice. I have a very similar 49" Sony, a 900E. The ratings site I consult says the 950H is the best 49" LED made.

Thanks - looked at a less expensive Sony LED, but the one above just got better reviews (including email exchanges w/ a sales rep at Crutchfield where I ordered online - free 2-day shipment from Virginia to me), and quite pleased.  NOW, I did 'eye' the LG 48" OLED inserted above, but was a substantial 50% more in price?  Dave :)

André

I think you'll love the science inroads and discoveries and the historical aspects of the series, Dave. Murdoch is a big believer in the « Roentgen rays ». The  characters become more interesting with each episode/season. I'm hooked  :P.

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on January 05, 2021, 04:13:13 PM
I think you'll love the science inroads and discoveries and the historical aspects of the series, Dave. Murdoch is a big believer in the « Roentgen rays ». The  characters become more interesting with each episode/season. I'm hooked  :P.

Hi André - just though the first half dozen episodes of the first season, and really enjoying - and love the use of evolving detective technology - will expect to enjoy for a long time.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 05, 2021, 05:10:58 PM
BBC production of Bleak House

I wonder if that's the one in this set Karl (with Gillian Anderson?). I recently acquired the set very inexpensively and we watched Oliver Twist a couple of night's ago. I had never seen the adaptation before and thought it excellent in all respects:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on January 06, 2021, 12:51:21 AM
I wonder if that's the one in this set Karl (with Gillian Anderson?). I recently acquired the set very inexpensively and we watched Oliver Twist a couple of night's ago. I had never seen the adaptation before and thought it excellent in all respects:

That's the one, Jeffrey.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Herman

During the holidays we watched the first three seasons of the unfortunately named Schitt's Creek.

I really liked it. My GF is Canadian and she didn't.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Herman on January 07, 2021, 01:56:07 AM
During the holidays we watched the first three seasons of the unfortunately named Schitt's Creek.

I really liked it. My GF is Canadian and she didn't.

I've been watching that as well. Initially, I thought "WTF? How can there be a series about such repulsive people?" The beauty of the show, IMO, is that we learn compassion for them.
It's all good...

Herman

I don't find them repulsive at all, just highly clueless.

And Stevie is sexy as hell.

Brian

Yeah, it's like the polite Canadian version of Arrested Development and comparing the two really tells you a lot about the two countries' cultures.

(Also I'm just finishing up season 2 - just watched the episode where Moira thinks she is addressing a group of lesbians, but they are really just business owners.)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brahmsian

Quote from: Fëanor on January 28, 2020, 12:10:14 PM
The New Pope ~ Director: Paolo Sorrentino.  Starring: John Malkovich, Silvio Orlando, Jude Law, Cécile de France, Javier Cámara, et al.

For me this is a solid 8/10.  IMDB 8.2.  Metacritic 63, viewers: tbd.  Rotten Tomatoes 88%, viewers 85%.

The New Pope is effectively Season 2 of the The Young Pope.  This later series even more that the first is clever, ironic, droll, and generously sprinkled with accents of the surreal.  I say don't miss it.

By the way, reading some of the critics' reviews at Metacritic, I'd say many missed the point.

Just finished watching this marvelous series (The Young Pope and The New Pope).

My only slight criticism was to the overly, at times unnecessary gratuitous nudity.

However, overall I really enjoyed this series. Particularly the standout performances of Jude Law and Silvio Orlando. A nod to John Malkovich as well.

Apparently there is a planned third and final season.

George

Second time through this incredible show and enjoying it even more than the first.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

Over the past several years I have caught an episode here and there of Ray Donovan while travelling on business, but since I don't subscribe to cable and the streaming services I currently use do not offer the show, I have never watched more than that.  Then Amazon put the entire first season up.  It is an OTT hoot.  Liev Schreiber is excellent in the lead (and almost scary when screaming at a priest), but it is veterans Jon Voight as his father and James Woods as the FBI's Most Wanted gangster who dominate the screen when they are on camera.  If it is true that writers write what they know, what they know here is Get Shorty, which they punch up with caricatures of various big name stars, venal Hollywood sorts, amateur boxing, and a not entirely convincing representation of Southie subculture.  It is far more entertaining than it should be, all the more so because a couple characters (eg, Frank Whaley's FBI Agent) are poorly written, some of the plot points are pointless, and some subplots just fade away.  Shoe fans may spy a pair of longwings with Dainite soles and wonder which company made/makes those.  Anyway, the show is good enough fun that I may temporarily subscribe to a streaming service with the remaining seasons.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

On Acorn TV, we've started the second season of the Murdock Mysteries (and greatly enjoying) - Susan wanted to start another series, so now half way through the first season of Doc Martin, which I'm greatly enjoying (especially as a retired 'doc' myself).  Dave :)