What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on January 09, 2021, 05:06:09 AM

Second time through this incredible show and enjoying it even more than the first.
It's a brilliant series!  :)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 09, 2021, 07:56:57 AM
On Acorn TV, we've started the second season of the Murdock Mysteries (and greatly enjoying) - Susan wanted to start another series, so now half way through the first season of Doc Martin, which I'm greatly enjoying (especially as a retired 'doc' myself).  Dave :)

Loved Doc Martin and all of the quirky (but endearing) characters in that series.  And enjoy your retirement!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roy Bland

Irons

On the 8th and sadly last series of the gritty French series Spiral. Set in the mean streets of the underbelly of Paris  involving child trafficking by drug lords. With a supplementary story of a shamed cop working his way into a gang to work as an informer for police. Heavy stuff, much swearing (in French), violence and even some lesbian action last night! In other words, great. :)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Brass Hole

We will reboot this set tonight. I was shocked that I couldn't remember anything at all from the first three seasons when I watched the trailers yesterday. Memory is a funny thing

drogulus

Quote from: Irons on January 10, 2021, 01:55:15 AM
On the 8th and sadly last series of the gritty French series Spiral. Set in the mean streets of the underbelly of Paris  involving child trafficking by drug lords. With a supplementary story of a shamed cop working his way into a gang to work as an informer for police. Heavy stuff, much swearing (in French), violence and even some lesbian action last night! In other words, great. :)

I only have 2 episodes available atm, so I'll wait until I can get more to start watching. I'm already missing Judge Roban, though.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

milk

Irons

Quote from: drogulus on January 11, 2021, 07:02:50 PM
     I only have 2 episodes available atm, so I'll wait until I can get more to start watching. I'm already missing Judge Roban, though.

Yes, I miss him too, his vulnerability. Spiral has overtaken The Bridge as favourite foreign language series.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

I've been duly noting down a number of the titles that I've seen here and checking to see whether or not I can get them through a library (doing pretty well with that one I'm happy to report!).  :)

Currently watching the American version of The Bridge (which was shown on Fox).  I'm enjoying it, but not nearly as much as the Danish/Swedish version--so far anyway.  Am about a third of the way through Season 1.  The setting:  US-Mexican border.

Waiting to get ahold of a copy of Season 2 of Borgen.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Quote from: Irons on January 13, 2021, 12:28:03 AM
Spiral has overtaken The Bridge as favourite foreign language series.

I have a few favorites, among them Un Village Français, Le Bureau des Légendes and Forbrydelsen, remade in the US as The Killing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on January 14, 2021, 09:59:51 AM
Un Village Français

This is indeed a very good series. Highly recommended for André.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on January 14, 2021, 09:59:51 AM
      I have a few favorites, among them Un Village Français, Le Bureau des Légendes and Forbrydelsen, remade in the US as The Killing.
I've seen the US version of The Killing and enjoyed it.  Will see if I can borrow these other ones...thanks for the heads up!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: Florestan on January 14, 2021, 10:30:25 AM

I've seen a Romanian series called Umbre recommended. How would you rate that?

Currently watching Santos and Vinick go into the home stretch again. I might be watching two inaugurations at the start of next week.

André

Quote from: Florestan on January 14, 2021, 10:30:25 AM

Certainly sounds interesting, thanks for the tip, Andreï.  :)

Now I must check if I have access to it (TV5 Monde in Canada).

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 14, 2021, 12:18:26 PM
I've seen a Romanian series called Umbre recommended. How would you rate that?

I do remember a series called Lumini și umbre (Lights and Shadows). It was written and filmed during the Communist regime, so I'd say watch it, admire the performances but don't ever trust its message.  :laugh:

Honestly, there were lots of Romanian actors and actresses who could have had very succesful careers at Holywood but had to contend themselves with performing in (mostly but not limited to) Communist propaganda movies --- even so, they performed to their best.

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 14, 2021, 12:44:05 PM
The one I mean can be seen on this list:

https://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2016/05/15-must-see-foreign-language-tv-series

also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbre

Ah! That's a new one I wasn't aware of --- looks interesting. If and when I watch it I'll comment. If you watch it, please post your opinion, I'm really curious about it.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 13, 2021, 07:48:59 AM

Currently watching the American version of The Bridge (which was shown on Fox).  I'm enjoying it, but not nearly as much as the Danish/Swedish version--so far anyway.  Am about a third of the way through Season 1.  The setting:  US-Mexican border.

Have you seen the British version The Tunnel? Season one follows the original season one a little too closely but then they pull away to new stories in seasons two and three which I remember thinking were excellent.

I've also learned there are Russian, Malaysian and German versions.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 14, 2021, 07:41:32 PM
Have you seen the British version The Tunnel? Season one follows the original season one a little too closely but then they pull away to new stories in seasons two and three which I remember thinking were excellent.

I've also learned there are Russian, Malaysian and German versions.
I remember watching at least the first episode, but for some reason or another, I didn't watch subsequent ones.  I think that it might have been shown on PBS and that I missed the subsequent one and so just stopped watching it?  Might look back into it at some time.  Thank you though for your thoughts on it.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roy Bland

drogulus

I finished The Trial Of Christine Keeler. The series is very well done, and just as in the 1989 film Scandal the central character is Dr. Stephen Ward. James Norton plays Ward superbly. Norton looks like a film star, which might cause people to underrate him as an actor (the "Pitt effect").