What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: drogulus on January 17, 2021, 08:23:42 AM
     I finished The Trial Of Christine Keeler. The series is very well done, and just as in the 1989 film Scandal the central character is Dr. Stephen Ward. James Norton plays Ward superbly. Norton looks like a film star, which might cause people to underrate him as an actor (the "Pitt effect").

I felt very sorry for Ward a good man destroyed by the establishment. In a similar vein A Very English Scandal is also excellent. Like Norton, Hugh Grant plays the lead superbly proving himself a fine actor.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SimonNZ

Finished a third viewing of this brilliant series.

Also rewatched season one of ER, which holds up really well. Might keep watching up to the previous point I jumped off: when they had replaced all the adult characters and actors with overgrown kids.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

BWV 1080

Valley of Tears on HBO Max - Israeli drama about Yom Kippur War.  Well done, but would prefer subtitles to the overdubs (although they are done well)

Roy Bland

SonicMan46

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 04, 2021, 07:28:15 AM

Loved that series when on TV in the early 70s - much later I bought the DVD box set, watched and then sent to my son who was just a babe when the show first appeared.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, on the Acorn TV service, we are still watching the two series below and really enjoying (Season 4 for Murdoch & Season 6 for Doc Martin; wife seems to like the quirky characters in the village of Portween!).  Dave :)

Irons

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 04, 2021, 08:42:09 AM
Well, on the Acorn TV service, we are still watching the two series below and really enjoying (Season 4 for Murdoch & Season 6 for Doc Martin; wife seems to like the quirky characters in the village of Portween!).  Dave :)

Doc Martin was recorded at Port Isaac, a favourite holiday destination for many years. Since the fame of the programme it turned into a tourist hot-spot.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

steve ridgway

I noticed a broadcast of Star Trek Enterprise starting from Series 1 and have been watching that. Up to Episode 20 at the moment. I saw some of it years ago but don't remember the detailed stories.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Irons on February 05, 2021, 12:59:15 AM
Doc Martin was recorded at Port Isaac, a favourite holiday destination for many years. Since the fame of the programme it turned into a tourist hot-spot.

The scenery is beautiful in the series - Port Issac is on the north Cornish coast - for those interested, more HERE (including the pic below - CLICK to enlarge) - Dave :)

DavidW

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 05, 2021, 08:24:59 AM
I noticed a broadcast of Star Trek Enterprise starting from Series 1 and have been watching that. Up to Episode 20 at the moment. I saw some of it years ago but don't remember the detailed stories.

I watched that a few years ago.  And while there are plenty of weak episodes in the first two seasons, I think that the third season is some of the finest Star Trek out there.

Iota

I'm finding the BBC's A Perfect Planet documentary series spectacularly good! Breathtaking photography, informative and peerlesly narrated by David Attenborough (as always!). I'm currently working my way through it on the iPlayer.

Attenborough has bequeathed so many televisual jewels over the years in partnership with the BBC, he seems almost worth the licence fee on its own. My admiration for wildlife cameramen and women has grown immensely too, their dedication, skill and bravery is extraordinary.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 05, 2021, 09:21:25 AM
The scenery is beautiful in the series - Port Issac is on the north Cornish coast - for those interested, more HERE (including the pic below - CLICK to enlarge) - Dave :)

I really enjoyed that show!  And, yes, beautiful setting!  I hope that it hasn't been overrun by tourists?

Quote from: Iota on February 07, 2021, 10:32:01 AM
I'm finding the BBC's A Perfect Planet documentary series spectacularly good! Breathtaking photography, informative and peerlesly narrated by David Attenborough (as always!). I'm currently working my way through it on the iPlayer.

Attenborough has bequeathed so many televisual jewels over the years in partnership with the BBC, he seems almost worth the licence fee on its own. My admiration for wildlife cameramen and women has grown immensely too, their dedication, skill and bravery is extraordinary.
That sounds right up my alley!  I wonder whether or not I could watch it in the States?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Benji

Quote from: DavidW on February 05, 2021, 10:39:50 AM
I watched that a few years ago.  And while there are plenty of weak episodes in the first two seasons, I think that the third season is some of the finest Star Trek out there.

Did you see Lower Decks? I enjoyed that immensely - so much fan service 😁

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 04, 2021, 08:15:29 AM
Loved that series when on TV in the early 70s - much later I bought the DVD box set, watched and then sent to my son who was just a babe when the show first appeared.  Dave :)

Sweet!  I'm having the odd problem with a DVD here and there.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Todd

Outback Truckers.  The dearth of interesting new entertainments during the prolonged Covid pandemic has resulted in me gorging on some older white trash TV.  On the plethora of digital broadcast stations I receive, Ice Road Truckers and IRT Deadliest Roads have offered more than occasional time-killing entertainment, and this Australian entry into the genre offers some more profanity laden enjoyment.  (Really, Aussies seem to curse uncontrollably with cameras rolling.)  It offers more chances to see far off scenery and some work I'm glad I do not have to do.  And while Australia is obviously a vast land mass with very few residents, and the production crew no doubt picked what to film based on which awful roads the drivers would use, the abysmal state of some of the roads are bad enough to make even NDOT officials blush.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Iota

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2021, 10:37:55 AM
That sounds right up my alley!  I wonder whether or not I could watch it in the States?

PD

I think to watch anything on the BBC iPlayer you may need a licence (not sure about the radio). You can only try.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 05, 2021, 12:59:15 AM
I was amused, a few years ago, whilst on holiday with my wife in Florence,when an American visitor came up to me and told me that I sounded 'like Doc Martin' - at the time I'd never heard of the show. I watched a few episodes out of curiosity and enjoyed them.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).