What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Last night, CNN aired 2 new series back to back; one w/ Stanley Tucci touring the food delights of Italy and the other on Lincoln - there will be about 6 episodes for each show which I assume will air on Sundays - we greatly enjoyed both, and having been to Italy twice (last to Bologna), my mouth was watering (and just had dinner!).  Recommended - Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 15, 2021, 08:33:37 AM
Last night, CNN aired 2 new series back to back; one w/ Stanley Tucci touring the food delights of Italy and the other on Lincoln - there will be about 6 episodes for each show which I assume will air on Sundays - we greatly enjoyed both, and having been to Italy twice (last to Bologna), my mouth was watering (and just had dinner!).  Recommended - Dave :)

Thanks for reminding me about that Stanley Tucci program!  I had seen ads for it, and you might have noticed, I love food!  ;D

Watched the first two seasons of the American adaptation of The Bridge.  Really enjoyed them!  It's set on the border of Mexico-US.  I was looking forward to watching the third season, but read that the ratings weren't high enough for Fox, so they cancelled it.  :( 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Homeland.  I vaguely recall some fulsome praise for this show years ago when it was new and fresh.  I decided to wait until it ended to quasi-binge the whole thing.  (I can't really watch more than one episode per evening of any show.)  Little did I know how long it would take for the show to wrap up.  Now I've seen it, and it is one of the most uneven prestige shows I've watched.  To the producers' credit, the show does a pretty good job staying on top of the latest baddies threatening the continued existence of the good old US of A in the past decade.  You get Al-Qaeda, the Iranians, the Taliban, Syrians, far right American thugs, and - drumroll - the Russians!  The first season is mostly strong, though some of the specific actions are silly, and some of the characters' choices seem unbelievable.  The way it ends leads the second and third seasons into preposterous territory.  The fourth season, despite some questionable premises regarding embassy security, marks the highpoint of the series, as the show gives a good if fictionalized explanation of why the Taliban will ultimately win.  The same successful formula returns in significantly diminished form in the final season, with some other elements tossed in (hint: one involves a bear).  The fifth season, set in Germany, is pretty good, though some plot points again come across as preposterous.  After that, the show sort of drifts, reaching new levels of preposterousness with each season.  One recurring, central theme that never seems quite real is the power that Claire Danes' character has over all manner of men.  As portrayed, she's just not a woman worth dying or killing for.  A couple of other notable women characters - a German spy and Russian spy, not to mention the improbably attractive spy chief played by Nimrat Kaur - fit the bill more convincingly.  The character development for the lead begins to lose its importance, and it is also impossible to see why anyone would ever really fall for whatever either Mandy Patinkin's or F Murray Abraham's characters offer, though since I lack bloodlust and rah-rah patriotism, I guess that's why.  All of the recurring actors do good work, but it's when some actors from the vastly superior The Americans show up later in the series that one fully realizes what goes missing with this show. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 15, 2021, 06:38:52 AM
I was amused, a few years ago, whilst on holiday with my wife in Florence,when an American visitor came up to me and told me that I sounded 'like Doc Martin' - at the time I'd never heard of the show. I watched a few episodes out of curiosity and enjoyed them.

The few times I have visited the US the locals always think I'm Australian! Something that has always puzzled me, perhaps its the cockney twang. :)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

DavidW

The shows I had been watching past couple of months:

Succession is a brilliant dark, comedy.
Bridgerton is like Gossip Girl meets Pride and Prejudice.  It's okay.  A bit overhyped.
Expanse Season 5 was a great adaptation of Nemesis Games except one of the big departures from the novel involving a certain actor wasn't handled that well.

Irons

Following the excellent Spiral finished another French series yesterday Torn. Set in rural France adultery leads to mayhem.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 22, 2021, 08:08:05 AM
Following the excellent Spiral finished another French series yesterday Torn. Set in rural France adultery leads to mayhem.
Thanks for reminding me.  I received notice recently that the DVD of Spiral was ready to pick up.  Still need to make my way through Department Q first though!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 22, 2021, 09:42:02 AM
Thanks for reminding me.  I received notice recently that the DVD of Spiral was ready to pick up.  Still need to make my way through Department Q first though!  :)

PD

I'm hoping there will be a Spiral Blu Ray release with English subs.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

BWV 1080

https://www.youtube.com/v/ltSvPE8xw3A

Good series on HBO Max - I watched it with the overdubbing, which was not bad although within the app there is an option for Hebrew w/ subtitles

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on February 22, 2021, 11:44:37 AM

Good series on HBO Max - I watched it with the overdubbing, which was not bad although within the app there is an option for Hebrew w/ subtitles
Can't see what you just posted.  I get that little blue and white box with a question mark in it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

BWV 1080

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 22, 2021, 11:49:58 AM
Can't see what you just posted.  I get that little blue and white box with a question mark in it.

PD

sorry, should be fixed now

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on February 22, 2021, 12:00:40 PM
sorry, should be fixed now
Thanks!  Without giving out too much...I'm someone who just wants the truly bare bones teaser...hate too much detail/info what is it roughly about (and again without giving out what happens, where it's going...) what is it about?  And, seriously, I'm a minimalist in terms of wanting a bit of info about a new series...it destroys it for me to know too much...same about opera plots..I want my surprises!
Pohjolas Daughter

BWV 1080

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 22, 2021, 01:07:55 PM
Thanks!  Without giving out too much...I'm someone who just wants the truly bare bones teaser...hate too much detail/info what is it roughly about (and again without giving out what happens, where it's going...) what is it about?  And, seriously, I'm a minimalist in terms of wanting a bit of info about a new series...it destroys it for me to know too much...same about opera plots..I want my surprises!

Its about the Syrian front of the 1973 Yom Kippur War, follows several Israeli soldiers from different backgrounds - highlighting issues in Israeli society - like the discrimination against Middle Eastern Jews.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on February 22, 2021, 01:47:26 PM
Its about the Syrian front of the 1973 Yom Kippur War, follows several Israeli soldiers from different backgrounds - highlighting issues in Israeli society - like the discrimination against Middle Eastern Jews.
Thanks!
Pohjolas Daughter

Fëanor

Quote from: Todd on February 17, 2021, 05:20:13 AM
Homeland  ...
All of the recurring actors do good work, but it's when some actors from the vastly superior The Americans show up later in the series that one fully realizes what goes missing with this show.

On your recommendation I begun watching The Americans.  I'm about 1/2 way into Season 1 and enjoying it a lot, but I'm not convinced yet that it is "vastly superior" to Homeland.

Mirror Image

I've been re-watching Frasier for the third or fourth time around:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2021, 06:39:19 AM
I've been re-watching Frasier for the third or fourth time around:

That series was a lot of fun and very witty humor.  :)

I'm watching some of the episodes of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" [Inspired by some comments under the film thread.].
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 23, 2021, 07:26:08 AM

I'm watching some of the episodes of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" [Inspired by some comments under the film thread.].
Surprised to see a very young Richard Dreyfus in one of the episodes in "Buried on Page One"!  I think that he was about 20 or 21 years old?  I didn't even recognize him 'til the credits ran.  ??? ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 24, 2021, 08:22:40 AM
Surprised to see a very young Richard Dreyfus in one of the episodes in "Buried on Page One"!  I think that he was about 20 or 21 years old?  I didn't even recognize him 'til the credits ran.  ??? ::)

PD

And the very attractive Hope Lange8)  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 23, 2021, 07:26:08 AM

It's one of my favorite sitcoms. Right up there with Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond and Wings.