What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on April 30, 2021, 06:30:39 AM
Recently we revisited comedian Bob Newhart's second series from the 1980's, Newhart, which had him running an inn and hosting a local T.V. show where he interviewed authors pushing their books.

One of the greatest sitcoms in television history and a personal favorite. Newhart was a brilliant straight man and the show gave him so many unforgettable characters to test him: Stephanie and Michael, Larry and the two Daryls, the police chief, Jim the mayor and his best friend Chester, Harley among others.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 30, 2021, 09:13:08 AM
One of the greatest sitcoms in television history and a personal favorite. Newhart was a brilliant straight man and the show gave him so many unforgettable characters to test him: Stephanie and Michael, Larry and the two Daryls, the police chief, Jim the mayor and his best friend Chester, Harley among others.

Sarge
I used to love that show (plus the original one)!  Remember how they ended it? :)  That and The Carol Burnett Show were big favorites of mine growing up.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Cato

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 30, 2021, 09:44:00 AM
I used to love that show (plus the original one)!  Remember how they ended it? :)  That and The Carol Burnett Show were big favorites of mine growing up.
[/b]
PD

DO you remember Tim Conway's Elephant Stories?

The picture quality is not the best, but this is hysterical...times two!

https://www.youtube.com/v/emVcDPT9Ch4

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 30, 2021, 09:44:00 AM
I used to love that show (plus the original one)!  Remember how they ended it? :)

PD

Yes, brilliant way to use "it was only a dream" to end a show. You know, Emily, you really should wear more sweaters  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 30, 2021, 09:13:08 AM

Sarge

One of the greatest pauses in Comedy History, on top of two "brothers" who could not possibly be brothers to each other or to Larry:

Larry: "This is my brother Daryl...

...and this is my other brother Daryl."   8)

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 01, 2021, 05:31:38 AM

. You know, Emily, you really should wear more sweaters  ;D

Sarge

;)  (One must watch the show to understand that joke!)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

drogulus

Watching a clip of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman I was interested to see that it's as weird today as it was in the '70s. Louise Lasser is doing full Donnie Darko in the opening sermon "Waxy Yellow Buildup".

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Stürmisch Bewegt

Began A Touch of Frost from Season 1, now well into Season 2.  Some of these are fairly harrowing and many have pointed social commentary on :  income inequality, rape, care of aged, racism, gays, and the mentally challenged.  David Jason, Detective Investigator Frost, made the unusual leap from comedic to dramatic roles with this series, retaining - however - some of his sharp wit for relief.  One of the darkest japes I'm aware of : sending morticians to collect a living person:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbWaFIWwzs
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

arpeggio

Completed For All Mankind on Apple, Mars series on Nat Geo and Picard on Paramount+.

Just started The Mandalorian on Disney.

Brahmsian

Quote from: arpeggio on May 03, 2021, 12:07:01 PM
Completed For All Mankind on Apple, Mars series on Nat Geo and Picard on Paramount+.

Just started The Mandalorian on Disney.

Just started watching The Mandalorian as well on Disney.  It is much better than I was anticipating!

SimonNZ

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 03, 2021, 12:27:40 PM
Just started watching The Mandalorian as well on Disney.  It is much better than I was anticipating!

I learned just recently that after filming Haywire - a pizza movie I greatly enjoy - director Steven Soderberg went back and overdubbed lead actress Gina Carano with Laura San Giacomo's voice and then had to edit the film in such a way that no one would notice.

At some point I'd like to check out The Mandalorian to see if she really is that bad.

André

Finished the Sherlock Holmes series. Great acting, esp. from Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson, great dialogues, delivered at lightning speed when Sherlock is in deduction mode. The plots are as convoluted as they get, but that's part of the fun. Unconventional treatment of a classic, and thanks for that.

Papy Oli

Quote from: André on May 03, 2021, 04:45:44 PM
Finished the Sherlock Holmes series. Great acting, esp. from Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson, great dialogues, delivered at lightning speed when Sherlock is in deduction mode. The plots are as convoluted as they get, but that's part of the fun. Unconventional treatment of a classic, and thanks for that.

Some really gripping episodes in those series, one to re-watch at some point.

Finished Line of Duty series 6 live on Sunday.

Not to spoil it for anyone still on previous series, I'll just say I have to disagree with the general opinion on twitter that cropped up after broadcast on the conclusion of this series. I have found it quite satisfying and would be at peace if this was the last series ever. Jed Mercurio explained his angle of approach on this conclusion on a BBC podcast Monday and that made perfect sense when you think about it.
Olivier

drogulus

I've been enjoying greatly the Deutschland 83-6-9 shows. I've read that it wasn't popular in Germany. Upon reflection I can see why, and I'm a little surprised that I needed to have it pointed out to me (I am the one who points? Uh, maybe not.).  Germans are not easily going to see their national drama through such a farcical and morally ambiguous frame.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

North Star

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 03, 2021, 04:54:49 AM
Began A Touch of Frost from Season 1, now well into Season 2.  Some of these are fairly harrowing and many have pointed social commentary on :  income inequality, rape, care of aged, racism, gays, and the mentally challenged.  David Jason, Detective Investigator Frost, made the unusual leap from comedic to dramatic roles with this series, retaining - however - some of his sharp wit for relief.  One of the darkest japes I'm aware of : sending morticians to collect a living person:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbWaFIWwzs
Great series indeed.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Roy Bland

steve ridgway

Revolution and Romance: Musical Masters of the 19th Century on BBC.

"Series in which Suzy Klein explores the transformation of music in the 19th century. In an age of political and industrial revolution, she tells how music became the leading art form".

I found Episode 1 quite interesting, about how composers and performers started to become famous as individuals and music became a commercial industry with the development of the middle classes.

Daverz

Quote from: drogulus on May 04, 2021, 07:51:37 AM
     I've been enjoying greatly the Deutschland 83-6-9 shows. I've read that it wasn't popular in Germany. Upon reflection I can see why, and I'm a little surprised that I needed to have it pointed out to me (I am the one who points? Uh, maybe not.).  Germans are not easily going to see their national drama through such a farcical and morally ambiguous frame.

I enjoyed the 83 series, but didn't know they'd gone on to two more series.  Will look out for it.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Daverz on May 04, 2021, 10:58:42 PM
I enjoyed the 83 series, but didn't know they'd gone on to two more series.  Will look out for it.

Thanks, you two, for mentioning the 83 series, I must look for it.  Ten years or so ago I greatly enjoyed Heimat - watched it twice, in fact - I thought it both gripping and credible, though (perhaps as a matter of course) it came under severe criticism within and without Germany. 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Karl Henning

Season 2 of The Outer Limits, or The Incredible Shrinking Budget.

So, astronauts land on Mars, and go out onto the surface bare-handed....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot