What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fëanor

I've enjoyed season 1 of Halt and Catch Fire:  IMDB 8.4*  The context is PC producer, "Cardiff Electric", (fictional), where its principals struggles with personal and corporate problems.  In season 2 the principal characters move on after the sale of Cardiff -- I plan to see if it sustains my interest.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Fëanor on June 10, 2021, 03:15:26 AM
I've enjoyed season 1 of Halt and Catch Fire:  IMDB 8.4*  The context is PC producer, "Cardiff Electric", (fictional), where its principals struggles with personal and corporate problems.  In season 2 the principal characters move on after the sale of Cardiff -- I plan to see if it sustains my interest.

I sort of stopped watching it in the later part, but not because of lack of interest. Although I think the first season was the best of what I have watched.

Klavier

Quote from: Irons on June 09, 2021, 11:57:42 PM
Compulsive but far from comfortable viewing Jimmy McGovern's new drama Time is set in a HM prison. Sean Bean plays a teacher serving four years. I am not squeamish but more then once had to look away. This is not an easy watch, not one bit. As I remarked to the missus, placed in that environment I would end it all. Suicide is a fairly common occurrence in prisons, I can now see why!
Sounds like something I'd like. I hope it eventually gets released on a streaming platform in the US.

Currently I'm watching Blackspace and Startup on Netflix, and Mosquito Coast on AppleTV+.

While I'm at it, Line of Duty is one of my all-time favorite shows, too.

drogulus

Quote from: Fëanor on June 10, 2021, 03:15:26 AM

I just obtained a copy of Triumph Of The Nerds.

It must have been nearly 20 years ago that I watched this.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

Very well made series of four two-hour episodes interweaving between two timelines of modern Israel and Palestine and the birth of Israel in 1945-8

I see among writer/director Peter Kosminsky's other credits is a series on  young British women being lured to Syria to become ISIS brides. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available locally:

steve ridgway

We've just finished watching The Stranger on Netflix. A good fast moving mystery drama with distinctive characters  although we got a bit distracted identifying the locations around the Greater Manchester area. The one remaining mystery is how one character managed to chase someone on foot from Stockport Market Hall to the sidings of the East Lancashire Railway in Bury - it must be at least 20 miles. :-\

SonicMan46

Murdoch Mysteries - after many months, we just finished the 14th season of the Murdoch Mysteries, the last episode leaving much 'up in the air'!  The series has been renewed for Season 15 w/ 24-episodes planned (I guess to make up for COVID) and will first air on Sept 13 this year - now we watched this series on our subscription Acorn TV - not sure if this will continue for a 'new' season?  Dave :)

André

You're ahead of me, Dave  ;D. I'm still waiting to see season 14 if and when it appears on Netflix.

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on June 13, 2021, 09:08:34 AM
You're ahead of me, Dave  ;D. I'm still waiting to see season 14 if and when it appears on Netflix.

Hi André - we watched the show on Acorn TV; the pic I left in my last post stated that the 15th season will premiere on CBC, so hope that Acorn TV will stream the new series?  Dave :)

Florestan

Today I finished this 8-episode Icelandic Netflix series:

A rather sinister plot with a few really disturbing twists (honestly, one could construe writing such a part for a child actor as being psychological abuse on him), based on an interesting idea. What captivated me the most was (1) trying to learn Icelandic (when I first saw the Netflix preview I asked myself aloud: What effing language is that?, and upon my wife replying Sounds like something Germanic to me! the bell rang in my head loudly: By Jove, you're right, that must be Icelandic!)* and (2) after a few minutes into the first episode, I thought the lugubrious landscape fitted the action like a glove and indeed, just like London in Dickens or Sankt-Petersburg in Dostoevsky, the landscape is a main protagonist in this series.

Tbh, I've yet to watch an Icelandic movie or series which is less than interesting.

* and indeed I did learn a few words and phrases.  8)

Then I started this Soanish Netflix series:

Already into the 6th episode of this engrossing tale. Highly recommended as well.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

SonicMan46

Foyle's War - now on the 'second series' - short description below; started last week; 8 Series (or Seasons) w/ only 2-4 episodes/series because each is about the standard length of a movie - really enjoying at the moment.  Dave :)

QuoteFoyle's War is a British detective drama series set during the Second World War, created by screenwriter and author Anthony Horowitz and commissioned by ITV. It began broadcasting on ITV in October 2002. ITV director of programmes Simon Shaps cancelled Foyle's War in 2007, but complaints and public demand prompted Peter Fincham (Shaps' replacement) to revive the programme after good ratings for 2008's fifth series. The final episode was broadcast on 18 January 2015, after eight series. (Source)

Fëanor

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 13, 2021, 06:29:29 AM
Murdoch Mysteries - after many months, we just finished the 14th season of the Murdoch Mysteries, the last episode leaving much 'up in the air'!  The series has been renewed for Season 15 w/ 24-episodes planned (I guess to make up for COVID) and will first air on Sept 13 this year - now we watched this series on our subscription Acorn TV - not sure if this will continue for a 'new' season?  Dave :)

Incroyable ... 15 seasons is monumental, much more so for a Canadian production.

I remember when Murdoch Mysteries began, I think, which was in 2008.  Despite (or maybe because of) my being Canadian I only ever watched one episode near the beginning of the series.  I didn't have high expectations and thought the whole concept think silly and contrived.

VonStupp

I am an old Terry Pratchett Discworld reader, and I missed The Watch when it came out at the new year in the US. Giving it a spin tonight...

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Virgin River - Netflix series w/ brief synopsis quoted below (more in the link) - we're trying to get away from cops/detectives/murders and are giving this a try - not completely enthralled, but only 2 seasons w/ a third renewal starting soon.  Dave :)

QuoteVirgin River follows Melinda "Mel" Monroe, who answers an ad to work as a midwife and nurse practitioner in the remote Northern California town of Virgin River, thinking it will be the perfect place to start fresh and leave her painful memories behind. But she soon discovers that small-town living isn't quite as simple as she expected. She must learn to heal herself before she can truly make Virgin River her home. (Source)

Biffo

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 13, 2021, 06:29:29 AM

I am a bit apprehensive of 24 episodes in one season. I recently watched Series 14 and found it very uneven. I hope they can keep up a high standard of plot for such a long season. I find it is becoming increasing soapy.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Biffo on June 25, 2021, 02:27:31 AM
I am a bit apprehensive of 24 episodes in one season. I recently watched Series 14 and found it very uneven. I hope they can keep up a high standard of plot for such a long season. I find it is becoming increasing soapy.

Hi Biffo - don't disagree, i.e. there have been some 'soapy & silly' episodes and a number that we've not enjoyed as much, so can be uneven, especially in the latter seasons - BUT, we're looking forward to the new season and I hope that you are right!  Dave :)

JBS

Not watched yet but bought this afternoon at Barnes and Noble

All animated, but the two single shows and one of the shows in the collection are reconstructions of three Patrick Troughton stories whose audio tracks were preserved in full even though the videotapes were not.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

drogulus

I'm re-rewatching The Cleopatras on YT. It was written by Philip Mackie, and the quality of the writing is outstanding. The production is quite bizarre, as though designed to offend as many sensibilities as possible. The video quality is poor, but when you get hooked you won't care much about that.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

André

It looks like Netflix will release season 14 of Murdoch Mysteries in September.  :)

Meanwhile, to keep me amused I'm watching this old BBC Scottish series:

Thank god for the subtitles ! ;D

SimonNZ

Quote from: drogulus on June 26, 2021, 09:15:45 AM
     I'm re-rewatching The Cleopatras on YT. It was written by Philip Mackie, and the quality of the writing is outstanding. The production is quite bizarre, as though designed to offend as many sensibilities as possible. The video quality is poor, but when you get hooked you won't care much about that.

That's a blast from the past. I remember seeing that when it was on tv in the early 80s.

In what way is the production "designed to offend as many sensibilities as possible"?