What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 26, 2021, 06:17:35 PM
That's a blast from the past. I remember seeing that when it was on tv in the early 80s.

In what way is the production "designed to offend as many sensibilities as possible"?

I think it's the visual style (according to some reviewer resembling a "horror comic") and the off the charts T&A quotient, but most of all the way the total depravity of almost all the characters is viewed. Then there's the music, which is horrible in a way I've come to appreciate.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

steve ridgway

Watched the first two episodes of the Another Life sci-fi series on Netflix. It's OK so far but I'm wondering why the world's finest spaceship was crewed by a bunch of undisciplined, moody idiots. Maybe society has moved in a direction where these are the best they could get. ::)

Roy Bland

VonStupp

Quote from: Roy Bland on July 01, 2021, 08:49:03 AM

I was always more of a Mr. Terrific fan  :laugh: William Daniels is great! Now I need to go watch 1776.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

milk

Mr. Rogers episode 1546, 1985. 6 year old Niki Hoeller drops by the neighborhood to play the piano. He plays A Bach minuet and another piece I don't remember.
Mr Rogers really was a genius; the hype is well-deserved and I'm emotionally moved every time I watch him (now with my 3-year old, then in the 70s when I was a child). It's amazing how ahead of his time he was and also how singular. I don't think people today really get it and I don't think there's anything like it now.
Mr Rogers understands several things about children that can easily get lost: 1. Respect. Respect children and they will pay attention to what you have to offer. Mr. Rogers respects his viewers. He never talks down to them. 2. Sincerity. Be sincere. Don't try to entertain them with a lot of fakery and trickery. They know when you're doing that or, at least, their attention will be less productive. Sincerity provides greater value and kids will sense it. 3. Presence: Mr. Rogers models listening which also translates into caring. We see it know matter who he's talking to and no matter the age of the person. He always seems to know just the right way to talk to people but that's because he really listening. 4. Joy and love: Mr Rogers loves you the way you are. He doesn't preach to you or try to manipulate you. He tells you every time he sees you that you're special as is!
I'm shocked every time I watch Mr. Rogers by how really emotionally effective he is. How unique too. He's not just a model for kids. He's a model for parents and adults too.

VonStupp

Quote from: milk on July 09, 2021, 03:26:45 AM
Mr. Rogers episode 1546, 1985. 6 year old Niki Hoeller drops by the neighborhood to play the piano. He plays A Bach minuet and another piece I don't remember.
Mr Rogers really was a genius; the hype is well-deserved and I'm emotionally moved every time I watch him (now with my 3-year old, then in the 70s when I was a child). It's amazing how ahead of his time he was and also how singular. I don't think people today really get it and I don't think there's anything like it now.
Mr Rogers understands several things about children that can easily get lost: 1. Respect. Respect children and they will pay attention to what you have to offer. Mr. Rogers respects his viewers. He never talks down to them. 2. Sincerity. Be sincere. Don't try to entertain them with a lot of fakery and trickery. They know when you're doing that or, at least, their attention will be less productive. Sincerity provides greater value and kids will sense it. 3. Presence: Mr. Rogers models listening which also translates into caring. We see it know matter who he's talking to and no matter the age of the person. He always seems to know just the right way to talk to people but that's because he really listening. 4. Joy and love: Mr Rogers loves you the way you are. He doesn't preach to you or try to manipulate you. He tells you every time he sees you that you're special as is!
I'm shocked every time I watch Mr. Rogers by how really emotionally effective he is. How unique too. He's not just a model for kids. He's a model for parents and adults too.

Well said! The pacing of his Neighborhood was so gentle and devoid of flash, yet there was an unaffected grace and sincerity that is a rarity in children's programming.

On a separate note, I penned a letter to Mister Rogers once and asked about his operas that he wrote for children. He wrote a lovely letter back, along with a signed picture that I donated to a museum. He told me mainly of his education in music and theology and where those paths eventually led him.

If you haven't seen his operas, excerpts are here: https://misterrogers.org/articles/operas/. Windstorm in Bubble Land is great!

SimonNZ

Above average corruption in high places thriller.

milk

Quote from: VonStupp on July 09, 2021, 09:46:31 AM
Well said! The pacing of his Neighborhood was so gentle and devoid of flash, yet there was an unaffected grace and sincerity that is a rarity in children's programming.

On a separate note, I penned a letter to Mister Rogers once and asked about his operas that he wrote for children. He wrote a lovely letter back, along with a signed picture that I donated to a museum. He told me mainly of his education in music and theology and where those paths eventually led him.

If you haven't seen his operas, excerpts are here: https://misterrogers.org/articles/operas/. Windstorm in Bubble Land is great!
what a lovely memory and experience. I'm so glad to hear it. I don't remember the operas but I see they're on Amazon. I think I'll wait until my sons  are a little older to show them. Sam is only 3. He's just starting to be able to appreciate Mr Rogers. Another point I forgot  to make about Mr. Rogers is how he recognizes the need for play. He often says how important play is. Also, he's accepting of feelings - which I think is something very important for parents and educators to keep in mind: it's ok to have feelings of all kinds.

VonStupp

Quote from: milk on July 10, 2021, 03:38:46 AM
Another point I forgot  to make about Mr. Rogers is how he recognizes the need for play. He often says how important play is. Also, he's accepting of feelings - which I think is something very important for parents and educators to keep in mind: it's ok to have feelings of all kinds.

Thank you for your thoughts!

With a society so steeped in pop culture and cynicism, it is hard to find children's programming that doesn't rely on sarcasm, or making friends or adults look stupid only to resolve their issues with a quick apology at the end. But that is often what children's lives are now, and so they can identify with what is presented to them.

Mister Rogers avoids many of those pitfalls, but also reflects on situations through conversation and examples afterwards rather than assumed implication of learning or understanding through adventure or humor.

milk

Quote from: VonStupp on July 10, 2021, 06:04:46 AM
Thank you for your thoughts!

With a society so steeped in pop culture and cynicism, it is hard to find children's programming that doesn't rely on sarcasm, or making friends or adults look stupid only to resolve their issues with a quick apology at the end. But that is often what children's lives are now, and so they can identify with what is presented to them.

Mister Rogers avoids many of those pitfalls, but also reflects on situations through conversation and examples afterwards rather than assumed implication of learning or understanding through adventure or humor.
These are all very good observations. Hmm...it's not even like the programming out there is not quite as good, or not quite as good at addressing these things. They're just not in the same ballpark. I don't think there has been any TV performer in any genre as impactful as Fred Rogers. Perhaps not.

VonStupp

Quote from: milk on July 11, 2021, 03:57:58 AM
These are all very good observations. Hmm...it's not even like the programming out there is not quite as good, or not quite as good at addressing these things. They're just not in the same ballpark. I don't think there has been any TV performer in any genre as impactful as Fred Rogers. Perhaps not.

It may also be a matter of entertainment vs education. Mister Rogers leans towards education with an emphasis on character of the individual. But both forms of programming have their attributes.

I also have children, but I don't think we ever watched Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, due to availability. My oldest watched Sesame Street, but far different than the older episodes. Pacing was just different then.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

VonStupp

Star Trek: Picard
Heavy on fan service, but with a modern sensibility far removed from the original TNG series. This almost seems a farewell postcard to Patrick Stewart.

steve ridgway

Just finished Away on Netflix. The reasonably realistic series makes me feel a lot better about not being able to go to Mars myself knowing that it wouldn't be like Apollo nowadays but rather three years of people you'd left behind messaging you with their problems plus dealing with the mundane issues of the rest of the crew. :(

milk

Mr Rogers w/ Yo Yo Ma (1547)
And
Mr Rogers does something elementary, unique, sincere, thoughtful and totally unexpected for children's programming.
First, he meets Ma and enjoys talking about music. Ma plays Bach. Mr Rogers discusses feelings and how music expresses any kinds of feelings, including anger. This is a kind of acceptance, I want to say mindfulness: be how you are. Or, just respectful parenting: emotions are OK. Even more so: after coming back from listening to Ma, Mr Rogers asks kids for a moment of silence just to think about the music!
Can you imagine what kind of program this is? Fred Rogers: a visionary.

SonicMan46

We finished Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries which ran for just 3 seasons (2012-2015) - so decided to start Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries (also on Acorn TV) - just 2 seasons and have only 2 episodes left - Peregrine Fisher (played by an adorable Geraldine Hakewill) is the niece of the other Miss Fisher and the show takes place in the 1960s w/ period decor, cars, and music - we are enjoying - not sure if there will be a third season?  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 13, 2021, 08:53:37 AM
We finished Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries which ran for just 3 seasons (2012-2015) - so decided to start Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries (also on Acorn TV) - just 2 seasons and have only 2 episodes left - Peregrine Fisher (played by an adorable Geraldine Hakewill) is the niece of the other Miss Fisher and the show takes place in the 1960s w/ period decor, cars, and music - we are enjoying - not sure if there will be a third season?  Dave :)

I have watched a couple episodes of Miss Fisher's--good fun!  Trying to recall the season/name of the ones that I watched.  The last one (just so I don't spoil things for anyone who might want to view them) involved a spider and a gun in a desert setting.   ;)

PD

p.s. Wish that I had Phyrne Fisher's wardrobe!  ::)
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 13, 2021, 10:01:15 AM
I have watched a couple episodes of Miss Fisher's--good fun!  Trying to recall the season/name of the ones that I watched.  The last one (just so I don't spoil things for anyone who might want to view them) involved a spider and a gun in a desert setting.   ;)

PD

p.s. Wish that I had Phyrne Fisher's wardrobe!  ::)

Same thought my wife had watching the series and always expectations as to her next outfit(s), especially liked the hats!  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 13, 2021, 10:29:06 AM
Same thought my wife had watching the series and always expectations as to her next outfit(s), especially liked the hats!  :)
Like your wife's tastes!   ;D  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

I watched all of the Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries (more than once) and greatly enjoyed them. I found the Modern Fisher totally limp and didn't make it to the end of the first series.