What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Biffo on July 14, 2021, 08:00:44 AM
I watched all of the Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries (more than once) and greatly enjoyed them. I found the Modern Fisher totally limp and didn't make it to the end of the first series.

Well, we finished Series 2 of the Modern Ms Fisher last night and still enjoy - a third season?  Open ends left on the last episode?  Also, finished Season 3 of Netflix's Virgin River, which is more of a 'soaper' but we are enjoying and the scenery is beautiful, esp. on my 50" Sony 4K HDTV - now a LOT of 'cliffhangers' left on the last show of that season - Netflix HAS to continue into a 4th season, but who knows?  Dave :)

Iota

Just caught up with the first series of Missions on the iPlayer, a French sci-fi drama made on a not terribly large budget, which I thought was rather good. Some interesting and fanciful ideas crop up along the way.

DavidW

I just watched Katla.  Great but very dark Icelandic show where an erupting volcano is sending out changelings.  It deals with suicide, trauma, loss and murder and is not for the faint of heart.

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on July 16, 2021, 05:23:15 AM
I just watched Katla.  Great but very dark Icelandic show where an erupting volcano is sending out changelings.  It deals with suicide, trauma, loss and murder and is not for the faint of heart.

I enjoyed it, David!

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on July 11, 2021, 07:08:02 AM

It's wicked good!

I think so too but I  had to acclimate to its strange style: that of a stereotypical sitcom, including laugh track, when the characters are in Kevin's house juxtaposed with a very dark drama, touching on drug dealing and addiction, adultery and murder when the characters are outside the house. Thanks for recommending it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 16, 2021, 08:16:04 AM
I think so too but I  had to acclimate to its strange style: that of a stereotypical sitcom, including laugh track, when the characters are in Kevin's house juxtaposed with a very dark drama, touching on drug dealing and addiction, adultery and murder when the characters are outside the house. Thanks for recommending it.

Sarge

Yeah, it's King Of Queens one minute, Breaking Bad the next. Jarring but very cool.

Glad you like it, my friend.  :)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

steve ridgway

Greatest Events of WWII in Colour on Netflix. Obviously more realistic looking but also full of interesting bits of historical information I hadn't been aware of, such as the failure of France to attack Germany, the use of crystal meth in the blitzkrieg etc.

SimonNZ

second viewing and admiring it even more this time around

Irons

I am aware we are well behind but fun catching up. Watched the first episode of Breaking Bad on Christmas day, life saver-ish as not allowed to meet up with our family due to Covid. Viewed the final episode last week. Great stuff, excellent in every way. A false start with The Judge after twenty minutes we agreed not for us. Surprisingly my wife was not over-keen on The Crown. That did not last long as we are now both hooked.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Fëanor

I've been watching Season 2 of Blind Spot -- don't know whether I'll be able to stick it out much longer.  My rating is 6/10 stars.

Sullivan Stapleton is possibly the worse actor on the screen, large or small.

JBS

Bought this for my DVD pile.

In essence a "great moments" compilation

QuoteThis special 50th anniversary collection offers 38 complete TV episodes that are among the most popular in the history of DARK SHADOWS, serving as an ideal introduction to new fans as well as an enticing overview for longtime devotees.

Additionally, movie-length presentations of two of DARK SHADOWS most popular stories are included. The Vampire Curse details how Angelique the witch caused Barnabas to become a creature of the night. The Haunting of Collinwood reveals how the children of Collinwood become possessed by the ghost of Quentin Collins.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on July 18, 2021, 10:03:00 AM
Bought this for my DVD pile.

In essence a "great moments" compilation

Nice. My sister is a great fan.

Tangential TD:

My sister found Night Gallery at her local library, so I am re-watching "with" her.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Am watching the first season of the detective/mystery series Vera.  Quite enjoyed the first episode.

It stars Brenda Blethyn (a new-to-me actor) as Vera Stanhope, "a sharp detective with a mess life".  It's filmed in the Northumberland villages of the original books by Ann Cleeves.

https://www.amazon.com/Vera-Season-1/dp/B006UJVOPA

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 19, 2021, 07:14:28 AM
Am watching the first season of the detective/mystery series Vera.  Quite enjoyed the first episode.

It stars Brenda Blethyn (a new-to-me actor) as Vera Stanhope, "a sharp detective with a mess life".  It's filmed in the Northumberland villages of the original books by Ann Cleeves.

PD

Didn't watch it myself PD but the series has a loyal following in the UK. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 21, 2021, 06:27:39 AM
Didn't watch it myself PD but the series has a loyal following in the UK.
Not surprised to hear that Irons (re popularity).  :)  Perhaps you can catch it via repeats or inter-library loan?  I normally just borrow DVDs--though, occasionally it can be frustrating when you're halfway through a series and you find out that the discs are so badly scratched that you half to skip large sections of it.  :(

What are you watching at the moment?

PD

p.s.  I believe that I have the first season and that it's from 2011.
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 21, 2021, 06:40:58 AM
Not surprised to hear that Irons (re popularity).  :)  Perhaps you can catch it via repeats or inter-library loan?  I normally just borrow DVDs--though, occasionally it can be frustrating when you're halfway through a series and you find out that the discs are so badly scratched that you half to skip large sections of it.  :(

What are you watching at the moment?

PD

p.s.  I believe that I have the first season and that it's from 2011.

A spin-off from The Missing featuring a French detective who is getting on a bit and has mobility issues, Julien Baptiste is excellent. We are on the second and sadly final series. I think you will recognise the lady in the picture from "Killing Eve".

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 21, 2021, 07:06:22 AM
A spin-off from The Missing featuring a French detective who is getting on a bit and has mobility issues, Julien Baptiste is excellent. We are on the second and sadly final series. I think you will recognise the lady in the picture from "Killing Eve".
Yes!  I recognized her right away, though sadly, I can't think of the actors name.  Reminds me that I want to see whether or not the final season of Killing Eve is now on dvd or not.

Will keep an eye out for The Missing.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 19, 2021, 07:14:28 AM

PD
I haven't seen any Brenda Blethyn work (edit: or didn't remember it - she was in the 2005 Pride & Prejudice as Mrs. Bennet) but just got a copy of her most famous film, "Secrets and Lies," and am looking forward to watching that. Will look up Vera to see where it can be watched, that sounds like my kind of show.

SonicMan46

Fargo - TV series (4 Seasons Available) - we just finished the first season, described below starring Billy Bob Thornton as a ruthless hit man; purchased on Amazon Prime video (10 episodes) - if you like the quirky humor of the Coens in the original movie, then this may be right up your alley - we enjoyed and likely will buy the second season (available in SD or HD versions).  Dave :)

QuoteFargo is an American black comedy crime drama television series created and primarily written by Noah Hawley. The show is inspired by the 1996 film of the same name, which was written and directed by the Coen brothers, and takes place within the same universe. The Coens were impressed by Hawley's script and agreed to be named as executive producers. The series premiered on April 15, 2014, on FX, and follows an anthology format, with each season set in a different era and location, with a different story and mostly new characters and cast, although there is minor overlap.

The first season, set in Minnesota and North Dakota from January 2006 to February 2007 and starring Billy Bob Thornton, Allison Tolman, Colin Hanks, and Martin Freeman, received wide acclaim from critics. It won the Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Miniseries, Outstanding Directing, and Outstanding Casting, and received 15 additional nominations including Outstanding Writing, another Outstanding Directing nomination, and acting nominations for all four leads. It also won the Golden Globe Awards for Best Miniseries or Television Film and Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film for Thornton. (Source)