What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

From 2011-2016 we loved watching "Mr. Bohannon" lead crews of workers to complete the building of the transcontinental railroad: much adventure and many difficult moral choices were involved along the way!

We are re-watching the complete series: Hell on Wheels!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Iota

From a good start this has just kept getting better. Some memorable characters grow out of the electrically charged, obsessive atmosphere of the city banking world, a place where the thin-skinned need not apply. Dramatic tension is almost constantly high (often in both senses), even some of the smallest details seem vivid and organically part of the gladiatorial feverishness. I'm going to be mighty disappointed when it's over.

Todd

Damages, aka, Perry Mason meets Dynasty.  The show is a bit old now, but it was an early entry example of prestige TV, what with Glenn Close the big star.  The first season pits the ruthless lawyer Patty Hewes (Close) against the ruthless and malign billionaire (Ted Danson), with the young 'n' peppy associate attorney Ellen Parsons (Rose Byrne) a pawn in the game.  The show peaks with the second season, when William Hurt (!) enters the fray in a different case against a big 'n' evil energy company (aren't they all?), and then it kind of spins out a bit, with John Goodman as a PMC chief and Ryan Phillippe as a stand-in for Julian Assange, and so forth.  The show relies on the same devices each season – eg, dream sequences, jumbled timelines, recurring teasers of the season ending that is never what the viewer expects at first! – but fortunately it remains entertaining enough to stick with, even if one never, for even one moment, believes that Parsons would work with Hewes after the first season's chicanery.  Close and Byrne do solid work, and Byrne delivers a flawless American accent with an ideally feminine voice. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Papy Oli

Watched the series Squid Game over the last 2 weeks on Netflix:

Err...What to say... Hard-hitting, gruesome at (many) times, harrowing, distressing even but looking beyond that, ultimately gripping and thought-provoking throughout.

One particular episode might shatter your heart to absolute smithereens and is likely to stay with you for quite a long time. You will know which one when you get to it.
Olivier

SonicMan46

It Was the Music (2020) w/ Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams, a dual talented husband and wife team - short synopsis below - 10 part documentary that we really enjoyed; Larry is a fantastic multi-instrumentalist and singer.  Many guest stars including William Bell, David Bromberg, Jackson Browne, Suzie Brown, Jack Casady, Rosanne Cash, Shawn Colvin, Jerry Douglas, Garland Jeffreys, David Keith, Jorma Kaukonen, Phil Lesh, John Leventhal, Buddy Miller, Tracy Nelson, Jerron "Blind Boy" Paxton, Scot Sax,Larry "The Mole" Taylor, Happy Traum.  If you like 'roots music', then highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteAfter leading successful, separate careers since getting married thirty years ago, they decide to pack their instruments into their SUV, set out across America and attempt to make it as a musical duo. From small clubs to big music festivals, Larry & Teresa strike a chord in audiences everywhere they perform, playing their own songs for the first time and pursuing their passion for delivering riveting interpretations of American gospel, blues, country, and good old rock 'n' roll. It Was the Music is both a personal love story about two musicians devoted to each other and to the music they love, and a director's love letter to a time when music brought people together in the halcyon days of the sixties and early seventies, a time when it seemed that it was the music that mattered. (Source)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 14, 2021, 08:06:51 AM

Err...What to say... Hard-hitting, gruesome at (many) times, harrowing, distressing even but looking beyond that, ultimately gripping and thought-provoking throughout.

One particular episode might shatter your heart to absolute smithereens and is likely to stay with you for quite a long time. You will know which one when you get to it.

I enjoyed it too.

Todd

ChanceDr House Dr Chance is a brilliant neuropsychologist with dark secrets of his own.  Through various contrived plot devices, the good doctor becomes enmeshed in all manner of unsavory activities and interacts with some shady types, putting himself, his family, and his friends in harm's way, and such forth.  It's based on a novel, though I did not read the novel, so I don't know how closely the show follows the source.  What I do know is that the two seasons are on entirely different levels.  The second season is basically well-produced shlock.  The first season, while pulpy, has at its core a more compelling and plausible (in a TV show sort of way) premise and a core character worth watching.  Both seasons use a Big Plot Twist.  The first season's is telegraphed and basically in your face from early on yet still works well while the second season's is more startling and rather silly and renders the season a near waste of time.  Hugh Laurie recycles his more famous character quite a bit to good enough effect, and Ethan Suplee plays disturbed muscle quite well, but the entire first season rests squarely on the diminutive and very appealing shoulders of Gretchen Mol, who plays a contemporary world version of her Boardwalk Empire character.  She's the core character worth watching and keeps the show entertaining. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

milk

I'm just not into any series on TV anymore. I'd like to enjoy a "show" again. Meanwhile, this is fascinating. How do I shrink this????? Sorry folks.

SonicMan46

Well, to balance out The Sopranos & Razzoli & Isles, last night we started Anne with an 'E' on Netflix; as quoted below based on 'Anne of Green Gables' - cancelled after 3 seasons (27 episodes) - takes place on Canada's Prince Edward Island, which we stayed on decades ago in a trip to Nova Scotia; Green Gables is a Canadian National Historic Site (probably built up since our visit decades ago?).  Nice 'change of pace' for us -  ;D  Dave

QuoteAnne with an E is a Canadian television series adapted from Lucy Maud Montgomery's 1908 classic work of children's literature, Anne of Green Gables. It was created by Moira Walley-Beckett for CBC and stars Amybeth McNulty as orphan Anne Shirley, Geraldine James as Marilla Cuthbert, R. H. Thomson as Matthew Cuthbert, Dalila Bela as Diana Barry and Lucas Jade Zumann as Gilbert Blythe. (Source)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: milk on October 16, 2021, 08:05:26 AM
I'm just not into any series on TV anymore. I'd like to enjoy a "show" again. Meanwhile, this is fascinating. How do I shrink this????? Sorry folks.

Hi milk,

To resize an image, after you've clicked the button above.  So add(type) the following into the first box:  [img width=400] or 500, for example...depending upon how big you want it to be.  And copy your image, as normal, between the two [img].

PD

p.s.  Note:  There's a space between "img" and "width" but no spaces between "width, = nor the size which in this case is 400.

Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2021, 01:07:41 PM
Hi milk,

To resize an image, after you've clicked the button above.  So add(type) the following into the first box:  [img width=400] or 500, for example...depending upon how big you want it to be.  And copy your image, as normal, between the two [img].

PD

p.s.  Note:  There's a space between "img" and "width" but no spaces between "width, = nor the size which in this case is 400.

Also, keep in mind that if 're-sizing' an image that may have both width & height dimensions, you need to just use one dimension, the other will be automatically adjusted depending on the aspect ratio - e.g. I usually just use 'height' so if I have images on one line their heights will match.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 16, 2021, 01:16:14 PM
Also, keep in mind that if 're-sizing' an image that may have both width & height dimensions, you need to just use one dimension, the other will be automatically adjusted depending on the aspect ratio - e.g. I usually just use 'height' so if I have images on one line their heights will match.  Dave :)
Ah, I hadn't thought of using height before!  When I had asked the same question some time ago, a kind user had just told me about using the width...clever you!   ;)  And, yes, good idea if you're doing multiple image uploads in the same posting.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2021, 02:48:03 PM
Ah, I hadn't thought of using height before!  When I had asked the same question some time ago, a kind user had just told me about using the width...clever you!   ;)  And, yes, good idea if you're doing multiple image uploads in the same posting.

PD

+1  ;D  Yes, if both are changed but the calculation in your head is not the same aspect ratio, then distortion - so that's why I always just use the height as the single measurement - the HTML figures our the right adjustment and all of your images on the same line are the exact height; of course you need to make sure they fit on the line relative to your screen size used (I'm usually typing on a laptop so 1000 pixel width or less is my goal).  Dave :)

Undersea

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 14, 2021, 03:55:27 PM
I enjoyed it too.

Powerful Series - liked this too.
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

greg

I guess everyone is watching this now... but anyways, just finished it today. One of the greatest shows I've watched. A second season would be much welcomed.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

vers la flamme

^I just watched the first episode. Pretty cool, but quite disturbing and violent. Not sure whether or not I'll finish it.

greg

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 17, 2021, 06:42:30 PM
^I just watched the first episode. Pretty cool, but quite disturbing and violent. Not sure whether or not I'll finish it.
You gotta. It only gets better and better. Embrace the intensity, it's what makes you feel alive.

So anyways... kinda surprised to feel attracted to the character Sae-byok, something about her is very captivating... She's like the extreme opposite of that psycho lady Han Mi-Nyeo- would run away screaming if I had to be in the same room with her  ;D. Sae-byok is so detached and cold while not being a bad person, could definitely have some mutual understanding and would be comfortable to be around.

Also the old guy was a great character. Him and Sae-byok = two favorites.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 04, 2021, 06:56:53 AM
After an exhausting day and bored stiff by "Strictly" I was quite happy to watch paint dry last night on TV. My wife on the other hand owing to the fact that as a child her parents often took her to Ridley Road on a Saturday afternoon made the decision to watch the opening episode of an eponymous series on BBC.

From not being the least bit interested at the outset by the end I was completely hooked. The production is first class, even unique, in capturing the atmosphere, music and the awful persecution of Jews in 1960's London. A serious shameful subject but Ridley Road has lightness and East End humour too. Looking forward to episode 2.
I've been enjoying this series as well. Rory Kinnear is terrific as the British fascist leader Colin Jordan as is Eddie Marsan as a Jewish cab driver resistance leader.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).