What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: milk on November 03, 2021, 05:13:23 AM
There are less laughs here but he's still a master comedian. I think it's Seinfeld who recently said that all comedy is specific and there's no better example than Chapelle. He knows exactly where to put each word, each pause, each emphasis. It's controversial even to comment on this but, anyway, it's provocative to say the least. It's worth trying to understand what he's saying. This is risky stuff and risky for the audience too. That's what makes it interesting and even fun - if one takes in stride.

I fully agree. Less laughs than on previous specials, but still better than most other comedians out there. I hope to be able to see his documentary soon (the one he made about the shows he did in Ohio during the height of Covid.)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 27, 2021, 07:14:26 PM
I've started my second go through Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Have you done DS9 yet?

George

Second time through this darkly funny, touching series.

greg

Quote from: George on November 03, 2021, 10:40:13 AM
I fully agree. Less laughs than on previous specials, but still better than most other comedians out there. I hope to be able to see his documentary soon (the one he made about the shows he did in Ohio during the height of Covid.)
Just watched this one and laughed more than the last one on Netflix... but those were the only two of his I've watched. Pretty enjoyable, mainstream comedy.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

milk

Quote from: greg on November 03, 2021, 07:32:04 PM
Just watched this one and laughed more than the last one on Netflix... but those were the only two of his I've watched. Pretty enjoyable, mainstream comedy.
I get confused. I think it's the first Netflix one that's the funniest. Go and watch his appearances on Letterman. They're quite funny.

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

milk

TV movie?

If you're interested in the topic, this entertains. Kathy Bates as Leno's take-no-prisoners, @*%$-busting, agent is the standout. Bill Carter, who wrote the book, wrote the screenplay too and swears it's true. Late night used to be a high-stakes and dirty game. I do miss all the players; it ain't the same without them.
The actors here do a pretty good job. The guy that plays Letterman is spot-on, except for the red wig. Rich Little as Carson! Betty Thomas directed.

Roy Bland

Papy Oli

We binge-watched season 1 of Ted Lasso over the weekend (From wiki: The series follows Ted Lasso, an American college football coach who is hired to coach an English soccer football ( >:D) team in an attempt by its owner to spite her ex-husband. Lasso tries to win over the sceptical English market with his folksy, optimistic demeanour while dealing with his inexperience in the sport.)

It made us howl with laughter, well up a few times and warmed the cockles of our hearts throughout. Highly recommended.

We'll probably binge season 2 over the next weekend.

Olivier

VonStupp

Mannix (1973)
'Sing a Song of Murder' (Season 7, Ep. 9)

I chuckled the other night when Joe Mannix grilled Karl Henning (played by Liam Sullivan), a swinging, LA socialite whose shag-ridden 70's pad received a molotov cocktail, due to his wandering eye and an attempted murder of an opera singer.

I fell asleep before I found out who the murderer of the episode was. I have my suspicions...  ??? :o

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on November 09, 2021, 08:41:16 AM
Mannix (1973)

I chuckled the other night when Joe Mannix grilled Karl Henning, a swinging, LA socialite whose shag-ridden 70's pad received a molotov cocktail, due to his wandering eye and an opera singer.

I fell asleep before I found out who the murderer of the episode was. I have my suspicions...  ??? :o

VS

Hah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on November 09, 2021, 08:41:16 AM
Mannix (1973)

I chuckled the other night when Joe Mannix grilled Karl Henning (played by Liam Sullivan), a swinging, LA socialite whose shag-ridden 70's pad received a molotov cocktail, due to his wandering eye and an attempted murder of an opera singer.

VS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 09, 2021, 08:47:36 AM
Hah!
That sounds like our Karl indeed!  ;)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

George

Holden

Cheers

Holden

milk

Quote from: George on November 09, 2021, 02:39:51 PM

Best show ever.
The one that was on youtube first was the funniest. The Netflix one wasn't quite as funny. That first one has been mostly taken down except for one or two episodes. So hilarious!

George

Quote from: milk on November 10, 2021, 04:51:48 AM
The one that was on youtube first was the funniest. The Netflix one wasn't quite as funny. That first one has been mostly taken down except for one or two episodes. So hilarious!

Indeed.

The Netflix one was watered down and far too leashed IMO.

Karl Henning

I forgot that there was a man Data called Grandpa.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

What We Do in the Shadows

I am starting the 3rd season of the spin-off TV show. Different than the movie it riffs from, but still amusing to me.

I highly recommend the original movie, a mock-umentary about Vampires trying to live together in a flat. I am on the lookout for Wellington Paranormal, based on side characters from the film, as well.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

milk

Well, you know, she is what she is. What did people expect anyway? I would have been surprised if it were anything different. She's still a great comedian. She doesn't answer questions! Don't pee on her leg and tell her it's raining!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: milk on November 12, 2021, 04:10:30 AM

Well, you know, she is what she is. What did people expect anyway? I would have been surprised if it were anything different. She's still a great comedian. She doesn't answer questions! Don't pee on her leg and tell her it's raining!
I saw a short video of her talking about her new show.  Found out that her granddaughter is involved in it too (believe that she is currently studying law) and will be serving as her law clerk on the show.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter