What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: milk on November 12, 2021, 04:10:30 AM

Well, you know, she is what she is. What did people expect anyway? I would have been surprised if it were anything different. She's still a great comedian. She doesn't answer questions! Don't pee on her leg and tell her it's raining!

If I were her bailiff of the past 25 years, I'd expect to be asked to be on her new show. Or at least to be told why I wasn't hired. Neither happened. That's some cold shit.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Fëanor

I'm presently watching:

• The Wire, HBO, (my first time viewing this classic)
  • Foundation, Apple
  • Narcos Mexico, Season 3, Netflix

Iota

Universe: Brian Cox (BBC 2)

An informative and spectacularly beautiful series on the cosmos. Brian Cox is such an enthusing and natural presenter of his subject, the only one I'd mention in the same breath as David Attenborough

milk

Quote from: George on November 12, 2021, 06:37:57 AM
If I were her bailiff of the past 25 years, I'd expect to be asked to be on her new show. Or at least to be told why I wasn't hired. Neither happened. That's some cold shit.
It's cold. And the show looks ridiculous with the added people too. It's the same thing basically, minus Bird.

Brian

I saw an interview where Judge Judy's old bailiff said that the new show couldn't afford his old salary, and they simply hired somebody cheaper instead of asking him if he would accept a pay cut.

I'd guess something like 70% of the entire budget is Judy's salary. She's worth it to them, of course, as a bona fide American treasure and master performer.

milk

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2021, 05:13:59 AM
I saw an interview where Judge Judy's old bailiff said that the new show couldn't afford his old salary, and they simply hired somebody cheaper instead of asking him if he would accept a pay cut.

I'd guess something like 70% of the entire budget is Judy's salary. She's worth it to them, of course, as a bona fide American treasure and master performer.
She's got a gift. Bird wasn't exactly integral. He should probably be happy how lucky he was. I saw an episode once where, for some reason, she asked him what he wished for when he was younger. He said, "to be rich." JJ said, "well, you got your wish." That was an old episode. He was on the most successful daytime show ever by chance and with no particular talent, energy or skill required. I can understand this is her last project and she's doing it her way.

Roy Bland

George

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Second time through this great series. Just finished season two. Now onto season 3.

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on November 12, 2021, 06:37:57 AM

Do we know the full story, though? Perhaps he was asked, but decided he didn't want to do it.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 14, 2021, 07:57:35 PM
Do we know the full story, though? Perhaps he was asked, but decided he didn't want to do it.
see:

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2021, 05:13:59 AM

It speaks well of the production environment of the show that everyone wants to continue working there. The bailiff is 63; I know if I were 63 at my job I'd be buying towels and moving to the beach.  ;D

milk

Quote from: Brian on November 15, 2021, 07:18:23 AM
see:

It speaks well of the production environment of the show that everyone wants to continue working there. The bailiff is 63; I know if I were 63 at my job I'd be buying towels and moving to the beach.  ;D
I never once saw the dude smile. If I had that job, I wouldn't be able to stop smiling.

Irons

Only the final episode of the gripping Close To Me to watch. I need to know. :o Did Joe trip or throw herself down the stairs. Or my guess, her husband pushed her? But is there a twist and I'm led to think that. :-\

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

milk

Is anyone watching 11 of Curb? I stopped 3 into 10. I thought 10 jumped the shark (rich people yucking it up on rich vacations) plus I think John Hamm is worse than not funny: he's unfunny. But just checking.

George

Quote from: milk on November 19, 2021, 05:08:10 AM
Is anyone watching 11 of Curb? I stopped 3 into 10. I thought 10 jumped the shark (rich people yucking it up on rich vacations) plus I think John Hamm is worse than not funny: he's unfunny. But just checking.

Yeah, I have always been a huge fan of the show, but season 10 was a huge step down from 9. The first two of season 11 were fair at best, but episodes 3 and 4 have been very good. 

Roy Bland

milk

Quote from: George on November 19, 2021, 05:14:01 AM
Yeah, I have always been a huge fan of the show, but season 10 was a huge step down from 9. The first two of season 11 were fair at best, but episodes 3 and 4 have been very good.
Maybe I'll try. Art is hard. Curb was so funny and inventive and I kept wanting more. I feel guilty in a way when I hit that moment when I go, "oh, I wanted more but now I don't. Enough is enough." Nothing lasts forever. Curb was a tightrope. These super rich old people can easily get on one's nerves. I liked the latter seasons a lot too, seasons 8 and 9. But 10 really struck me as a bunch of silly super rich old people galavanting around. Anyhoo...

André

Midnight Mass is a slow cooking horror/religious thriller. The setting and characters are very Stephen King-y. Familiar stuff with surprising, novel ideas. Great acting. Very positive reviews in The Atlantic and Rolling Stones.

SimonNZ

The Crown Season Four

I was disappointed by season three and was expecting a further descent, but ended up finding this for the most part back on form.

Its main weakness is Charles constantly played as a sulking and petulant  fourteen year old. Impossible to believe from this portrayal that one woman let alone two would be besotted with him.

LKB

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 20, 2021, 12:33:49 PM

...Impossible to believe from this portrayal that one woman let alone two would be besotted with him.

Impossible if he were an average Joe... the Prince of Wales isn't.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot