What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: LKB on November 21, 2021, 04:26:44 PM
Impossible if he were an average Joe... the Prince of Wales isn't.

That may have dazzled Diana, but Camilla would have had no reason to put up with it as depicted, especially once married herself.

And as a toff herself she wouldn't have been impressed with that mere fact on its own.

Granted, Diana also came from an upper class family but she didn't have the entitled cynicism of a proper toff.

Irons

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 21, 2021, 05:01:02 PM
That may have dazzled Diana, but Camilla would have had no reason to put up with it as depicted, especially once married herself.

And as a toff herself she wouldn't have been impressed with that mere fact on its own.

Granted, Diana also came from an upper class family but she didn't have the entitled cynicism of a proper toff.

I love the word toff. I wonder if it came from toffee-nosed? Which leads to the question where that came from?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Fëanor

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 21, 2021, 05:01:02 PM

I became bit cynical about the former Lady Diana Spencer during her marriage to Charles.  "Cynical" maybe not at least at first, but definitely entitled, literally and figuratively.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Fëanor on November 22, 2021, 03:58:18 AM
I became bit cynical about the former Lady Diana Spencer during her marriage to Charles.  "Cynical" maybe not at least at first, but definitely entitled, literally and figuratively.

I'm not a fan and could easily use some negative sounding terms to describe facets of her, but entitled suggests arrogance, and I can't say I ever saw her display that. Is it possible you mean spoilt?

Fëanor

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 22, 2021, 04:26:03 AM
I'm not a fan and could easily use some negative sounding terms to describe facets of her, but entitled suggests arrogance, and I can't say I ever saw her display that. Is it possible you mean spoilt?

Well spoiled certainly, but IMO "entitled" doesn't necessarily mean arrogant.  Mainly I used entitled to mean having a certain expectation, taken for granted, of one's social entailments.

Clearly what Diana didn't understand, in her naïve youth, what the role of royal princess would entail.  Nor did she understand Charles ongoing relationship with Camilla.  If should understood these things when Charles proposed her choice might have been different.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Papy Oli

Call My Agent - halfway through Season 2 so far.

A comedy following the professional and personal lives of talent agents in their Paris office, dealing with their star actors and their own tribulations.

The use of famous actors sending themselves up in each episode doesn't feel gimmicky or overdone and it even takes a back step for a proper development of the agents' own stories through the seasons.

Very funny, very sarcastic.

Too good to be French !  :laugh:

Olivier

Todd

The final season of Narcos, whether in Mexico or otherwise.  It basically leads up to the emergence of El Chapo as the main drug kingpin in Mexico, and is riddled with violence and gore and so on as the temporary and rotating victors of the drug wars trade places of power.  The season seems a little hastier than the prior four seasons of the two shows, and some of the subplots feel too fabricated, but the show retains its strengths.  First among them is physical realness.  Shot in actual physical locations, using actual physical stunts, and almost no CGI, it looks real, as opposed to the cartoonishness of some other current prestige shows (eg, The Crown, The Queen's Gambit).  Second, the B- and C-list actors do good work, aided by their comparative anonymity.  (Some of the stars are bigger in Latin countries and populations, like Bad Bunny.)  Third, it addresses real world drama and horror in a dark and effective way.  Too bad the show won't continue.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roy Bland

milk

I'll watch reality TV and anything basketball related. I liked this for a few episodes but got tired of it pretty soon. Maybe I should just go back and watch Hoop Dreams which is much better but also about the struggle to succeed on the margins of sport. Like a lot of these kinds of shows, the drama seems a little manufactured. I was laughing at myself because it's a drama and I kept thinking. "too much drama!" The coach on here talks too much Jesus. How does a public community college get away with all the Jesus talk? If Jesus IS out there, does he care about basketball? I guess it'd be kind of cool if he did. Like, "quit praying for spiritual healing, I'm watching the game!!!!"

Pohjolas Daughter

Episode 1 from Donna Leon's:  The Commissario Brunetti Mysteries.  Interesting and well-done series (recommended to me by a friend).  It's set in Venice and is in German with English subtitles.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Just winding up season 2 in my second survey through Star Trek: The Next Generation. One of the numerous pluses in the show's having run seven seasons is, a number of the shows which I've watched only once have dropped from memory, and it's very gratifying to "taste again for the first time" such episodes as "The Emissary" and "Peak Performance."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973)

Watched last night with the children.

I forgot what a different pacing a Charlie Brown cartoon is. Snoopy fights with a folding chair for what seems like 5 minutes, with no animated background, and Linus pontificates about Captain Myles Standish for quite a chunk as well.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on November 26, 2021, 09:26:43 AM

I forgot what a different pacing a Charlie Brown cartoon is. Snoopy fights with a folding chair for what seems like 5 minutes, with no animated background, and Linus pontificates about Captain Myles Standish for quite a chunk as well.

VS

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on November 26, 2021, 09:26:43 AM

VS

Boy, it's been some years since I've watched the Thanksgiving one, but as I do have a soft spot for Peanuts (and peanuts too), I often watch their Christmas special.   ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 26, 2021, 10:11:38 AM
Boy, it's been some years since I've watched the Thanksgiving one, but as I do have a soft spot for Peanuts (and peanuts too), I often watch their Christmas special.   ;D

PD

Maybe my memory is more rose-tinted, but the 70's Thanksgiving special seems a bit more slight compared to what I remember of the 60's Christmas and Halloween specials. It was still a nice throwback and the girls seemed to like it well enough.

I also like peanuts!  :laugh:

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on November 26, 2021, 11:49:44 AM
Maybe my memory is more rose-tinted, but the 70's Thanksgiving special seems a bit more slight compared to what I remember of the 60's Christmas and Halloween specials. It was still a nice throwback and the girls seemed to like it well enough.

VS
That Halloween one is sweet!  I love the whole bit about hanging out in a pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive.   :)  Love this image (not from the Peanuts movie):

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on November 26, 2021, 11:49:44 AM

VS

I'm not certain I've seen the Th'giving special (which I see is from '73) I do dearly love the Christmas and Hallowe'en specials.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 26, 2021, 12:43:31 PM
I'm not certain I've seen the Th'giving special (which I see is from '73) I do dearly love the Christmas and Hallowe'en specials.
:) I always feel badly when poor Charlie Brown is trying to find a nice Christmas tree and comes back with that sad looking branch.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ