What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 01, 2022, 09:25:13 AM
Wound up Twin Peaks last night. While I have loved the series, I cannot stave off disappointment with the ending.
the newer one? I liked what he did. What would you have liked? Lynch is always going to leave us with a kind of problem, I think. He wants us to be unsettled and unsatisfied.

Karl Henning

Quote from: milk on January 06, 2022, 02:03:31 AM
the newer one? I liked what he did. What would you have liked? Lynch is always going to leave us with a kind of problem, I think. He wants us to be unsettled and unsatisfied.

No, the original series; however, when I mentioned to a friend that I had a quarrel, he did repeat his recommendation of The Return. Will watch soon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 06, 2022, 05:42:14 AM
No, the original series; however, when I mentioned to a friend that I had a quarrel, he did repeat his recommendation of The Return. Will watch soon.

Starting Twin Peaks: The Return tonight.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on January 06, 2022, 04:51:57 PM

Good, silly fun.

Aside from Larry David, I believe Julia Louis-Dreyfus has had the most successful post-Seinfeld career. I love The New Adventures of Old Christine. Great writing all-around.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 06, 2022, 05:21:27 PM
Starting Twin Peaks: The Return tonight.

Good luck! Just be prepared for more questions than answers.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2022, 01:30:41 PM

Good luck! Just be prepared for more questions than answers.

Sarge

I can feel that already (because of course the original series ended with plenty of questions a-dangling)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Season three of Succession, the best show streaming today.  It follows on from the first two seasons flawlessly, and while every actor more or less does everything right, this season becomes the Brian Cox show.  The wonderful, allusion-filled episode "What It Takes" includes a perfectly named far-right, very Trumpian, acid-tongued politician named Mencken and flips the contemporary timeline of presidents while exaggerating to delightful effect the power media titans have over the minds of the many.  Exhilarating viewing.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

VonStupp

Match Game (1973-1982)
Betty White

Since I got my Moderna booster last evening, my general malaise today has allowed me to watch the 70's run of Match Game, with a focus on the late Betty White in the 6th 'celebrity' position.

Lots of fun! VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on January 08, 2022, 01:13:28 PM
Match Game (1973-1982)
Betty White

Since I got my Moderna booster last evening, my general malaise today has allowed me to watch the 70's run of Match Game, with a focus on the late Betty White in the 6th 'celebrity' position.

Lots of fun! VS

What a flashback!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 08, 2022, 01:35:54 PM
What a flashback!

Indeed. One of the gags involved the term Heartbreak of Psoriasis, which flew over my head. Apparently it is a comedy bit that was hip at the time.

William Conrad, Sonny & Cher, and Engelbert Humperdinck. Perhaps it is better to use the term they don't make them like they used to.

https://www.youtube.com/v/MUVVckN5FEg&ab_channel=spookylorre
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SimonNZ

A second watch of the 5-dvd Beatles Anthology documentary.

Gotta say: man Ed Sullivan looks creepy to me - like Richard Nixon's less trustworthy elder brother

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 06, 2022, 05:42:14 AM
Ah yes. That makes sense. The Return was really fun. I doubt we will see such great TV again.

Karl Henning

Quote from: milk on January 09, 2022, 06:01:39 AM
Ah yes. That makes sense. The Return was really fun. I doubt we will see such great TV again.

I'm enjoying it, especially the parts where (like classic Ridley Scott) Lynch isn't afraid to take his time. Which is especially counter-TV, of course. Michael Ontkean still hasn't appeared yet. I was sad to see at the end of my viewing last night: In memory of Miguel Ferrer.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 09, 2022, 08:39:46 AM
I'm enjoying it, especially the parts where (like classic Ridley Scott) Lynch isn't afraid to take his time. Which is especially counter-TV, of course. Michael Ontkean still hasn't appeared yet. I was sad to see at the end of my viewing last night: In memory of Miguel Ferrer.

I watched "Gotta Light" Monday night, but I'm watching it again before proceeding. In a broad "I have no idea what it means, but it looks glorious" way, it reminds me of 2001.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roy Bland

George

milk

Quote from: Roy Bland on January 13, 2022, 08:19:27 PM

I was listening to people talking about the Sammy David Jr. episode. I guess Sammy plays himself AND a look-alike. One of them gets kidnapped. Anyway, try to let us know when you get there.

SonicMan46

Well after a hiatus to watch movies and other video options, we are back on the series shown below:

Cosmos: Possible Worlds w/ Neil deGrasse Tyson and released in early 2020 - great specials and CGI; 13 episodes (we're about half way through) which are described in the link in the quote below, for those interested.

All Creatures Great and Small - new 2020 series now starting the 2nd season - we just watched the first two episodes of Season 1; short synopsis below (check link for more including cast); we started the old 1978-90 series but the graphics were so poor, as expected, and skits corny that we gave up - hope to enjoy this one more.

Blue Bloods - Season 12 - NYC cop show that we've watched from the beginning; last night, purchased the first 10 episodes of the delayed 12th Season (more will be added at no cost to us, how many?).  Watched the first two episodes and really felt nostalgic - we've missed the characters.  Dave :)

QuoteCosmos: Possible Worlds is a 2020 American science documentary television series that premiered on National Geographic. The series is a follow-up to the 2014 television series Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, which followed the original Cosmos: A Personal Voyage series presented by Carl Sagan on PBS in 1980. The series is presented by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, written, directed, and executive-produced by Ann Druyan and Brannon Braga, with other executive producers being Seth MacFarlane and Jason Clark. (Source)

QuoteAll Creatures Great and Small is a television series, set in 1937, based upon a series of books about a Yorkshire veterinarian written by Alf Wight under the pen name of James Herriot. The series was produced by Playground Entertainment for Channel 5 in the United Kingdom, and PBS in the United States. The series is a new adaptation of Wight's books, following the previous BBC series of 90 episodes that ran from 1978 to 1990, also called All Creatures Great and Small and which is still regularly reshown. (Source)