What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Watched the first 3 episodes from this season last night. Love this darkly funny, incredibly moving show.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

The new erato

Watching Succession. That ominous background musical the me occasionally planting in the background, is lifted verbatin from the introduction to Purcells When I am dead and laid in earth.

Iota

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 15, 2022, 07:19:11 AM
QuoteCosmos: Possible Worlds is a 2020 American science documentary television series that premiered on March 9, 2020, on National Geographic. The series is a follow-up to the 2014 television series Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, which followed the original Cosmos: A Personal Voyage series presented by Carl Sagan on PBS in 1980. The series is presented by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, written, directed, and executive-produced by Ann Druyan and Brannon Braga, with other executive producers being Seth MacFarlane and Jason Clark.

That caught me by surprise! From my distant UK outpost I'd never seen SF connected with anything like that before. Makes me like him even more. 👍

Irons

Quote from: George on January 15, 2022, 07:26:26 AM

Watched the first 3 episodes from this season last night. Love this darkly funny, incredibly moving show.

Not being a Rickey Gervais fan I avoided the series which I now believe a mistake which I plan to rectify in the near future.
It is great that the series has spawned benches across the UK as a symbol of support for those who have lost loved ones.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Just finished Twin Peaks: The Return. What a great time!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 15, 2022, 07:19:11 AM
Well after a hiatus to watch movies and other video options, we are back on the series shown below:

Cosmos: Possible Worlds w/ Neil deGrasse Tyson and released in early 2020 - great specials and CGI; 13 episodes (we're about half way through) which are described in the link in the quote below, for those interested.

All Creatures Great and Small - new 2020 series now starting the 2nd season - we just watched the first two episodes of Season 1; short synopsis below (check link for more including cast); we started the old 1978-90 series but the graphics were so poor, as expected, and skits corny that we gave up - hope to enjoy this one more.

Blue Bloods - Season 12 - NYC cop show that we've watched from the beginning; last night, purchased the first 10 episodes of the delayed 12th Season (more will be added at no cost to us, how many?).  Watched the first two episodes and really felt nostalgic - we've missed the characters.  Dave :)

I enjoy both of those shows.  Re the original series of All Creatures, I still remember one scene which I found incredibly touching at the time....there was an elderly man who was dying (in a bed) with folks around.  Someone let him hold their cat which he thought was his own dear moggy (who had passed away) and he thought it was his old cat and shortly afterward died peacefully in his sleep.   :'(  ❤️

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Irons on January 17, 2022, 08:08:29 AM
Not being a Rickey Gervais fan I avoided the series which I now believe a mistake which I plan to rectify in the near future.
It is great that the series has spawned benches across the UK as a symbol of support for those who have lost loved ones.

That's great, I hadn't heard that.

If you like After Life, I suggest trying Derek.

Irons

Quote from: George on January 17, 2022, 08:57:12 AM
That's great, I hadn't heard that.

If you like After Life, I suggest trying Derek.

Noted.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roy Bland

SonicMan46

NCIS - 19th Season has returned, so we're back again too!  So far, 11 episodes have been released - not sure how many are planned since COVID is still with us?  BUT, the major change is Gary Cole is likely to replace Gibbs as head of the unit - story HERE; assume Mark Harmon is ready to step down (we'll miss him but Cole seems like an excellent choice).  Dave :)

Papy Oli

In the last fortnight:

Ted Lasso Season 2 (Apple TV)
After Life Season 3 (Netflix, Ricky Gervais)

Still good in their own right but we found both suffered the comparison a fair bit with former seasons.
Olivier

André

Saw the first 2 episodes of Cuckoo. There's 5 seasons. I'll check a few more episodes from season 1. Apparently Samberg (Cuckoo) never comes back after the first season. Not sure this will prove to be all that good (its seems to have been quite popular in the UK).

Wanderer

Quote from: André on January 28, 2022, 11:43:34 AM
Saw the first 2 episodes of Cuckoo. There's 5 seasons. I'll check a few more episodes from season 1. Apparently Samberg (Cuckoo) never comes back after the first season. Not sure this will prove to be all that good (its seems to have been quite popular in the UK).

I didn't know this even existed and, as I see, it's on Netflix. On the "watch list" it goes.

Papy Oli

The Responder
(BBC, starring Martin Freeman)

Nearly 5 Hours of absolutely unrelenting tense drama.

Open ended enough for hopefully another series, if only because the last 15-20 minutes were, in my opinion, a whimper of an ending compared to the tension of the previous 4h45. Shame.

Outstanding performance by Freeman and a couple of others too.

Some might need subtitles for some strong Liverpudlian accents.

I did  ;D
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Smother - a mini-series on NBC's Peacock channel:

"On the rugged coast of County Clare, Val Ahern's husband is found dead at the foot of a cliff the morning after a family party. The matriarch starts to dig into the family's secrets to find out who might be responsible.

CAST: Dervla Kirwan, Gemma-Leah Devereux, Niamh Walsh"

There's a trailer for it below.  Just watched the first episode which I quite enjoyed!

https://tv-shows.se/2021/06/29/smother-official-trailer-hd-peacock-thriller-series/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Roy Choi on MasterClass via my Apple TV - we've been enjoying many of their programs but have concentrated on the foodies - just finished the excellent Indian cooking classes (wife bought her cookbook so we'll be trying some of the easier ones) - still watching Thomas Keller of the French Kitchen - we're on the meats now - BUT last few nights have been viewing Roy Choi, a Korean-Los Angelus native with a LOT of schooling and experience - he kind of blends Korean-Mexican-California ingredients and creates some tasty looking sauces and meals; also famous for his food truck(s) (not sure if he has more than one?) - plus, the guy is funny, entertaining, and likes to swear occasionally.  Dave :)

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

milk

Watching this for the umteenth time. But it's only the second time for my wife and she doesn't remember it. It's just as good anyway, even having seen it so many times. In fact, there's nothing better on this subject matter. Nothing.

George

Quote from: milk on February 06, 2022, 04:28:32 PM
Watching this for the umteenth time. But it's only the second time for my wife and she doesn't remember it. It's just as good anyway, even having seen it so many times. In fact, there's nothing better on this subject matter. Nothing.

I am shocked that anyone would see this series and not remember it.

I saw the series for the first time last year and thought it was excellent.

Roy Bland