What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 06, 2022, 11:58:46 AM

Severance on Apple+, which just got picked up for a second season. Fantastic show.

Four episodes in and really enjoying this unique one, Greg!

Roy Bland

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 10, 2022, 01:00:41 PM
Four episodes in and really enjoying this unique one, Greg!

That's great, glad you're enjoying it! And keep going, it only gets better.

Todd

The fifth season of Better Call Saul.  I always wait until the show pops up on Netflix to watch it, and as such it has been a couple years since I watched the last season.  The whole thing has run out of gas.  It has now been fourteen years since Breaking Bad started (twelve when this season aired), and that ends up being a major liability.  One is treated to a 70-something Mike taking on a gang of thugs a couple times, something that in the real world would end badly for an unarmed elderly person very quickly.  It is impossible to suspend disbelief during a few different sequences, and to ignore the ravages of time.  Also, like the original show, some of the storylines have become more preposterous, and the whole thing lacks dramatic salience.  Look and dialogue and acting are all still of a high order, but the show is long in the tooth.  I can't even imagine what watching this show and then Breaking Bad in chronological order might be like, with a bizarre Benjamin Button effect.  I will not be finding out.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Fëanor

Quote from: Todd on April 16, 2022, 07:58:46 AM

The fifth season of Better Call Saul.  I always wait until the show pops up on Netflix to watch it, and as such it has been a couple years since I watched the last season.  The whole thing has run out of gas.  It has now been fourteen years since Breaking Bad started (twelve when this season aired), and that ends up being a major liability.  One is treated to a 70-something Mike taking on a gang of thugs a couple times, something that in the real world would end badly for an unarmed elderly person very quickly.  It is impossible to suspend disbelief during a few different sequences, and to ignore the ravages of time.  Also, like the original show, some of the storylines have become more preposterous, and the whole thing lacks dramatic salience.  Look and dialogue and acting are all still of a high order, but the show is long in the tooth.  I can't even imagine what watching this show and then Breaking Bad in chronological order might be like, with a bizarre Benjamin Button effect.  I will not be finding out.

I'm still enjoying it, though.  Granted, the aging of the actors is painfully obvious.

Roy Bland

Papy Oli

After Peaky Blinders and Killing Eve, our third final series in less than 10 days, with BBC's The Split (final 3rd season), following a family of divorce lawyers, in their own love triangles, family dramas and joys.

An easier TV fare maybe, yet still gripping and greatly acted throughout the cast. Nicola Walker and Stephen Mangan (a favourite in our household) are really top notch.

Weird feeling to have reached the end of the road with those three great TV programmes of the last few years, at least with 3 satisfying endings.
Olivier

George

Girlfriend and I have been enjoying the dark humor and crazy hijinks of this show. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

milk

Second time around. Still good viewing!

SonicMan46

Still watching the new seasons of NCIS & Blue Bloods as the episodes are released, and re-watching Major Crimes but a new addition:

The Roosevelts: An Intimate History (2014) by Ken Burns - 7 episodes (Source) - streaming off our PBS app on Apple TV - excellent and highly recommended, if the topic is of interest.  Dave :)

Allegro feroce

Ranking of Kings. An instant medieval fantasy favorite for me, as in Slayers tier. It's a classic "weak to strong" shounen anime with something of an One-Punch Man approach to power levels, plenty of twists to fairytale archetypes, lots of heart and kind of an indie flavor for a shounen. There's also quite a bit of plot armor, which manages to keep things heartwarming despite all the bloodshed and tragedy involved. I think the opening sums up this series' charm pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2C4kwwmZno

I'm really hoping for a second season, the ending feels like a first act conclusion and it still has a lot of potential.

André

I didn't expect to like this, but I did. The pressure of performing, living up to expectations and keeping up appearances for young, privileged teens. I thought the acting was superb. The great Pernilla August gives a great performance, turning a cameo role into an important secondary one.

Fëanor

Quote from: milk on April 19, 2022, 06:26:31 AM
Second time around. Still good viewing!

I'm waiting for season 2;  don't know if that will ever happen.

Todd

The Outlaws.  Stephen Merchant's BBC/Amazon show, in which he stars as part of an ensemble cast, briefly follows the lives of a widely disparate group of people assigned public service in Bristol for petty crimes.  It's a motley crew, including young kids of varying levels of promise, a couple middle aged people at their own crossroads, an inept lawyer (Merchant), a gorgeous woman of immense privilege, and a cagey old American conman, played by Christopher Walken.  Some of the writing and dialogue is quite good, and the show dares to accuse UK police of systemic racism (who knew?), but the show tips over into way too heavy material that doesn't really ring true.  All the actors do well enough, with the old hands actually not getting all the screen time.  For me, the best bit was the cameo by Richard E Grant, playing the gorgeous Eleanor Tomlinson's father.  It's decidedly OK.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roy Bland

SimonNZ

Finished both seasons of the Israeli Prisoners Of War (the one Homeland is based on) and found it very good

Also Travellers, which was much better than I expected it to be

steve ridgway

I also enjoyed Travelers. The time travelling being from the future back to our present avoided all those cliched trips back to those historical events we all know and loathe. :)

steve ridgway

My wife and I are currently watching the dating show Naked Attraction. "Attraction" is perhaps too strong a word but we find it holds a certain vile fascination. :o

milk

Quote from: Todd on April 16, 2022, 07:58:46 AM

I've been watching it but not really enjoying it. There's so little to watch these days, IMO. Many people go on about this show and compare it favorably to BB. I just don't get it. BB was a ground breaking show and a really novel story and type of story-telling. BCS is not. I don't hate it but it's a little like eating stale toast when you're hungry and the kitchen is empty. I think it says a lot of about the lack of new ideas and about just how inundated we are with watered-down choices - that this gets so much attention.