What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 10, 2022, 08:51:42 AM
Dr. Oakley - Yukon Vet - National Geographic series streaming on Apple TV; just into the 2nd season - 10th season announced (check link for further information if interested) - Michelle Oakley was born in Indiana and received an undergrad degree in zoology from the University of Michigan, my alma mater - completed her DVM degree in Canada (as in the quote) and lives w/ her husband and 3 daughters in Haines Junction, Yukon (see attached map) - she covers a LOT of territory and treats all kinds of animals.  Dave :)

Please tell me her given name is Annie! 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2022, 11:04:07 AM
Please tell me her given name is Annie! 8)

LOL!  :laugh:  Sorry, Karl - her first name is Michelle (short bio HERE - not sure about her middle name -  ;)) - nice change of pace from our usual favorites (police, detectives, crime, & dead bodies -  :D) - Dave

ADDENDUM: BTW, she does 'shoot' animals but w/ a blow pipe and sedation darts -  8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 10, 2022, 11:12:22 AM
LOL!  :laugh:  Sorry, Karl - her first name is Michelle (short bio HERE - not sure about her middle name -  ;) ) - nice change of pace from our usual favorites (police, detectives, crime, & dead bodies -  :D ) - Dave

I'm ankle-deep in crime drama myself, Dave, as Thriller (hosted by Boris Karloff) started out in that genre before morphing into Gothic/Horror. If I feared that I would suffer ennui before that transition, that misapprehension would soon have evaporated. Outstanding television writing, I think.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2022, 11:19:47 AM
I'm ankle-deep in crime drama myself, Dave, as Thriller (hosted by Boris Karloff) started out in that genre before morphing into Gothic/Horror. If I feared that I would suffer ennui before that transition, that misapprehension would soon have evaporated. Outstanding television writing, I think.

Last night: "Knock Three-One-Two" (based on a Fredric Brown novel. Brown's short story "Arena" was the basis of a Ster Trek episode. Although obviously it pales in comparison to TV in our time, "Knock Three-One-Two" has a husband character who is terribly, shockingly creepy for the small screen in 1960.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 27, 2022, 02:17:02 AM
Series 1 of Black Spot (Zone Blanche) on Netflix.

Atmospheric dark crime drama set in a remote French village and its mysterious forest. Each episode is a standalone crime story, with an overarching crime story through the series. A French "Hinterland" of sorts, in woods.

Pretty good acting overall, gripping mood throughout and yet, something is missing. Some episodes feel a bit "hollow"... A shame really.

Not sure yet if I will carry on with season 2.

Actually carried through Season 2, it kept on being gripping enough after all, despite some of its flaws, with enough elements of answers to the story arc in the final episode. I read the viewing figures of the second series completely tanked in France during its broadcast in 2019 so not sure yet if a 3rd season will be made by the French channel in question. Maybe Netflix will pick it up if international viewing figures are ok.
Olivier

Irons

After a slow start BBC's Sherwood has promise. A murder committed in the present day with strong links to the 1984 miners strike. A bit "Summer Murders" with balls. Not often embarrassed watching TV but a scene in episode two had me squirming, watching you will have no doubt which. Excellent cast headed by David Morrissey.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

VonStupp

The Blacklist: Season 9
James Spader

Just finished Season 9. Hearing there is a Season 10, I am wondering if watching is an involuntary reflex at this point?

Love James Spader, though.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

It was at times a bumpy trip (here and there the odd DVD is glitchy) but it's been relatively smooth from the tail end of Season 2 into Season 3. I'm enjoying this a great deal.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Just started this one and so far, I am enjoying it.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: VonStupp on June 16, 2022, 08:21:11 AM
The Blacklist: Season 9
James Spader

Just finished Season 9. Hearing there is a Season 10, I am wondering if watching is an involuntary reflex at this point?

Love James Spader, though.

VS

A great show! I, too, think Spader is fantastic.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 16, 2022, 07:58:13 AM
After a slow start BBC's Sherwood has promise. A murder committed in the present day with strong links to the 1984 miners strike. A bit "Summer Murders" with balls. Not often embarrassed watching TV but a scene in episode two had me squirming, watching you will have no doubt which. Excellent cast headed by David Morrissey.
Looks v interesting. David Morrissey is always good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

Anatomy of a Scandal.  Rupert Friend looks beautiful as an entitled MP and Sienna Miller looks even more beautiful as his wife, making for one of the best age and beauty appropriate couples in recent memory.  The MP then stands accused of rape by a staffer.  The story then jumps back and forth between uni days and the present, examining the behavior of the entitled youngsters at Oxford and exploring the implications in the current day government and the lives of people in that orbit.  There's a plot twist that requires the viewer to believe a major ethical blooper would go undiscovered, and some of the camerawork is needlessly kinetic, with some 60s-style Batman shots tossed in.  The story ends in an unsatisfactory and not entirely convincing way, as well.  On the flipside, Mr Friend and Ms Miller do good work, and most of the supporting cast does as well.  Michelle Dockery does as well as she can given the material.  This is the Sienna Miller show for me, and otherwise I will forget it in the next few days.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Papy Oli

Love Life - Series 1 & 2

Following the dating/married/divorcee life of a new-yorker in each series.

The first series (with Ann Kendrick) was ok to good but the second series is a slog despite the very good acting of William Jackson Harper. We only have about 2 episodes left in Series 2 and it is a drag to get there. We're hanging in there just to find out if there is any joining closure between the 2 series.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Re BBC's Sherwood:

Quote from: vandermolen on June 20, 2022, 10:30:43 PM

Quite, this goes on the watching list! Read a couple of very good reviews for this.
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 20, 2022, 10:30:43 PM

Worth a watch, Jeffrey. Based on a true story although if I understand the events correctly there is some artistic licence. I will watch episode three this evening and probably four too. Looking forward to it.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Fëanor

Arrgh!! I can't believe I'm watch this science fantasy, Andromeda, (2000-2006), for at least the fourth time, (albeit over 20 years).  No, there is absolutely nothing sophisticated or subtle about this show but I keep coming back to it.

It's the tale of the handsome, brave, clever, high-principled Capt. Dylan Hunt who was trapped, the sole human survivor, with his mighty warship, Andromeda Ascendant, and its sentient AI also name 'Andromeda'.  They are rescued from the black hole orbit by a motley crew of adventurer, would-be salvagers.

Hunt recruits that motley crew to help him restore the 'Systems Commonwealth'.  All the while they must fight off renegade, human DNA-modified 'Nitzcheans', and the horrific alien 'Magog'.  The over 100 hundred episodes are mostly only loosely connected, each one tending to be self-contained, (thus making the plot that much simpler).

The core characters are pretty well drawn, complementing and foiling each other. These are Hunt, the Motley crew, and the android version of the ship's avatar called 'Rommy'.  But forget about psychologic nuance or character development;  core characters become caricatures of themselves.  Minor characters are entirely cardboard.

So why do I keep coming back?  Precisely because it's total, stress-free, naïve entertainment, (Rated 7+  :)). Despite dire situations and plenty of violence, there is nothing that's going to keep you awake at night.

Oh, and there is one other thing:  that's seeing the exquisitely pretty Lexa Doig who plays 'Rommy' ...

DavidW

Season 7 of Death in Paradise.  See I really liked the first detective, and I never really warmed to the second and I had drifted off the show somewhere around season 4.  But this third guy, I actually like him best!  He really reminds me of Columbo.

drogulus

I'm watching a Tatort set in Weimar. I get MHz Choice via Amazon Prime for a small fee. The channel has a variety of shows from a number of European countries.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on June 23, 2022, 06:44:28 AM
Season 7 of Death in Paradise.  See I really liked the first detective, and I never really warmed to the second and I had drifted off the show somewhere around season 4.  But this third guy, I actually like him best!  He really reminds me of Columbo.

Interesting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Longtime Death in Paradise fan here. Detective #3 is the best I think. Partly because Ardal O'Hanlon was trained as a comedian and comic actor, so he can play the light touch really well. He also seems to be having loads of fun, especially in his first season.

Unfortunately, the most recent/current detective is pretty much joyless, definitely the worst. I think Ardal had the most success creating a distinctive (and entertaining) character out of the generic main role on the show.

I've really gotten into English detective shows during the pandemic and a LOT of them are strongly influenced by Columbo. In the first episode of "Cracker" (starring Robbie Coltrane, a.k.a. Hagrid), the main character even does a deliberate Columbo impression.