What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 27, 2015, 05:27:23 AM
I greatly enjoy Blacklist; I get my share of vicarious, gratuitous violence, enough to last me the week. The mystery is nice too.   >:D

8)

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: Gordo on April 27, 2015, 06:37:54 AM
Have you watched Sherlock (BBC One), Gurn? Cumberbatch and Freeman portray a very successful image of the relationship between Holmes and Watson. It's a fantastic modernized version.  :)

GREAT STUFF!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Yesterday night I tried the pilot of Black List. Good enough to try some more.  :)

For some reason, I lost for many years the trace of James Spader and my mental image of him was still the rich, "pretty" and unbearable young man of movies like Less Than Zero and Pretty in Pink... 

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

This Blu-Ray set has landed today, together with some books brought from Amazon.es:

I watched some chapters of this exceptional documentary on YouTube; so when I saw this remastered version offered for slightly more than EUR 20, I quickly took the chance.

My purchase included a Spanish translation of Civilisation: A Personal View, a book that contains the script prepared by Clark for every chapter of the documentary.

It's quite funny to read the apologies written by Clark for the Spanish edition, where he explains - quite poorly - the reasons why Spain is almost not mentioned in Civilisation.   

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Jo498 on April 26, 2015, 11:22:08 PM

Of more current series, I watched most of the first season of Boardwalk Empire (also quite stylish but with a lot of brutality and some implausible things), probably should finish at least the first season.

I'm currently on Season 2 of this. It's more impressive and realistic than Season 1, in fact really well done on the whole, with increasing depth to the characters and events. However, I can only take so much violence and gangsterism in a short time.

A lot of highly praised series have subject matter in common:

Breaking Bad: drug dealing
The Wire: drug dealing
Boardwalk Empire: Prohibition (= drug dealing)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Jo498

I think "The Wire" is still the most impressive TV series I have seen although the last season is considerably weaker.
(And very telling about US society, but this holds for Breaking Bad as well.)

Breaking Bad was drawn out a little too long but it was also very good, I think. Someone wrote that he found it rather disappointing when re-watching, this may well be but nowadays I hardly watch this stuff twice. Even the better ones are often too dependent on cliffhangers and twists and not really good enough for being watched twice within a few years.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

From the third season of the '80s Twilight Zone, a story which verges upon Night Gallery turf:

http://www.youtube.com/v/6C2pf6ogXDY
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

HIPster

I'm currently watching Game of Thrones season 5 and Wolf Hall.  Loving both too. 
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Jubal Slate

Quote from: HIPster on April 30, 2015, 07:49:28 AM
I'm currently watching Game of Thrones season 5 and Wolf Hall.  Loving both too.

Love Thrones. Would like to check out Wolf Hall; I think I own the book!

HIPster

Quote from: MN Dave on April 30, 2015, 07:52:30 AM

Yes, Thrones is really excellent. 

I've heard great things about the books Wolf Hall and its follow-up, Bring Up The Bodies (great title!).  Hilary Mantel is writing a third volume.

Watching the series on PBS, here's an amazon link ~
[asin]B00T797AT4[/asin]
Having recently finished Showtime's The Tudor's, Wolf Hall provides a nice contrast.  FWIW, I enjoyed The Tudor's, but totally dig Wolf Hall!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Wakefield

Quote from: HIPster on April 30, 2015, 07:49:28 AM

I'm a great fan of Game of Thrones, too. I'd like to try the books, but unfortunately I don't have time enough.

I love George R.R. Martin's ability to create a complete universe, so evocative of the actual problems of our "real" world.

P.S.: Wolf Hall looks very enticing, and highly praised for many reviewers.
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Watching the 4th chapter of this mind game called "Wayward Pines", starred by Matt Dillon:

http://www.youtube.com/v/RsQ9Fl0VCkk

Anyway, I'm not too much optimistic about the future of this series after seeing cancelled great projects as "Utopia" and "In the Flesh."  :(
-- Voltaire

Todd

I tried the first episode of the Wachowskis' new Netflix series, Sense8.  Shite.  Purest shite.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Hollywood

Just finished watching season 9 of Criminal Minds.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Wakefield

Quote from: Todd on June 07, 2015, 05:47:14 AM
I tried the first episode of the Wachowskis' new Netflix series, Sense8.  Shite.  Purest shite.

Coincidentally, I tried the first chapter yesterday, too. I didn't reach the end.  :(
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Hollywood on June 07, 2015, 07:20:14 AM
Just finished watching season 9 of Criminal Minds.

I haven't watched the last seasons of Criminal Minds, just, I think, the first four or something so. I always loved the quotations of the open scene.

I also think they never had the same level again, after the quitting of Mandy Patinkin.
-- Voltaire

James

From the drug-infested streets of West Baltimore to the corruption of City Hall, The Wire chronicles the tribulations of a post-industrial American city. Viewed from the perspectives of both the police and their targets, the award-winning series captures a world where easy distinctions between good and evil,and crime and punishment, are challenged at every turn.

[asin]B00UCOXZLU[/asin]

This arrived last week, it is the 3rd complete TV series I have ever purchased; watched the first 2 episodes last nite ..
Action is the only truth

Ken B

Quote from: MN Dave :) on April 30, 2015, 07:52:30 AM

I found the book outstanding. It took a while to get used to the style. It irritated me at first. But then it seemed to click, and make the book very vivid. I have the sequel planned for this summer.

NikF

How we spent our holidays.

Last week neither of us had much work and so we drove up to the coast. We stopped at a small fishing village we love and booked into the hotel overlooking the harbour. As soon as we arrived it started to rain and continued to do so for the next four days with the sky and sea meeting and then lost together in grey. Oh dear. So we mostly stayed in bed. And thanks to a combo of the hotel's free WiFi and illegal downloading -

'The Messengers' - I have no idea. Something about strangers with no obvious connection drawn to each other and having an adventure. I remember a similar storyline many years ago in a book written by Dean R. Koontz before he started wearing a wig.

'Game of Thrones' - if the scene between Tyrion and Dany had been a competition in the acting stakes, the final score would have been: Peter Dinklage, 109 points vs  chick with bad hair, -943 points. It was a massacre.

'The Leftovers' - I like the idea that nothing has been explained as far as the disappearances are concerned. Wow, and there's  Christopher Ecclestone - I think I first saw him in a drama series titled 'Our Friends in the North' which regardless of your political leanings you might enjoy - and look at him now. Also, I would very much like to photograph the actress who plays the daughter.

'Mad Men' - I've watched every episode. Toots (not my girlfriend's real name) had been waiting to watch the last two episodes back to back. So we watched the penultimate one. Ah, Don removes a heavy weight from his shoulders and then lessons in life are proffered and learned.
We took a break. I fielded many "What do you think is going to happen in the last episode?" questions. Then I told her I wasn't going to watch it. And her reaction was that you would think I'd committed a crime. At one point she tried to punch me in the back of the head when no one was looking. How could I choose not to see the final episode?! I don't know. Maybe I simply lost interest in the show very late in the day. Anyway, I borrowed an umbrella, went out in the rain to buy fish and chips, smuggled them in to the hotel, and then "...do you want me to tell you now it ended?" Okay, go ahead. So she did, in great detail, before saying "...but I don't really get it" delivered with a furrowed brow and pout. And she wasn't at all amused by my suggestion of ...and they lived happily ever after.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".