What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 26, 2015, 01:20:52 PM
My wife has been watching this. I just happen to start in on episode 10 and my goodness what an incredible amount of intensity. So I've only watched eps 10-12, with the finale tonight and I still think it's a great show. Ben Mendelsohn display's top notch acting.

Is that Bloodline which was a book by Sidney Sheldon quite some years ago? If so, it was a great book, should be a great series if they do it right!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Todd

The first season of The Americans.  The tale of a couple of deep cover Russkie spies posing as a married American couple in the DC area causing mischief.  The episode-to-episode action seems more active than deep cover spies might like (Full disclosure: I've never been a deep cover spy, so I don't know for sure), but all involved seem game.  A bevy of C and D list celebrities put in good work.  A mole-suppressed John-Boy is surprisingly effective as an FBI boss, and Margot Martindale (from FX stablemate Justified) is quite good, too.  The main draw for me is WASP princess Keri Russell, kicking ass and taking names, and looking real good doing so.  How can one not like a show where Richard Kline (aka, Larry from Three's Company) takes part?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 26, 2015, 01:20:52 PM
My wife has been watching this. I just happen to start in on episode 10 and my goodness what an incredible amount of intensity. So I've only watched eps 10-12, with the finale tonight and I still think it's a great show. Ben Mendelsohn display's top notch acting.

Hi Greg!  :)

Definitely a great performance by Ben Mendelsohn.  :)

My girlfriend and I started watching it together, but she quit after 3 or 4 episodes.  She found it way too intense and uncomfortable.  It is thick with major family disfunction!  Really enjoyed it, and loved the acting all around.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 26, 2015, 06:06:37 PM
Is that Bloodline which was a book by Sidney Sheldon quite some years ago? If so, it was a great book, should be a great series if they do it right!

8)

I don't believe it is, Gurn.

Hollywood

Quote from: Jay F on August 10, 2015, 05:42:28 AM
Steven Bochco's current series on TNT, Murder in the First.

Same here. I am also watching season 3 of Major Crimes as well as the latest season of The Science of Stupid:laugh:
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

ZauberdrachenNr.7

A BBC production, Call the Midwives ; good writing and acting.  I'm well into the 4th season and how the writers can keep up their good work is beyond me as this could get old quickly.  Quite an interesting depiction of England in the 50s & 60s.  Character acting is first rate - we can't do this in the U.S. anymore...and I think I know why. 

SonicMan46

Closer - I've watched this series before (streamed free on Amazon Prime) - Susan wanted a 'cop show w/ some unique characters & humor' so I suggested the first season of Closer which she thoroughly enjoyed; Prime D/C free streaming - Amazon wanted exorbitant fees for streaming this older and discontinued series, i.e. about $25 for SD - well, the DVDs were half price so decided to go that route - we just started Season 4!

Game of Thrones - also for me, I'm rewatching this ongoing series - starting Season 4 (and understanding the characters much better!) - Season 5 was just released ($29 SD for streaming - guess that I'm 'hooked' at the moment) - Dave :)

The new erato

The Fall. Another superb British production.

Brahmsian

Quote from: The new erato on September 02, 2015, 08:41:05 AM
The Fall. Another superb British production.

Goodness, yes!  Can't believe I forgot to mention this one.

kishnevi

TheGSMoeller

I will be watching Doctor Who, Season 9 very soon.  >:D
And I'm eagerly, and emotionally, awaiting Downton Abbey's final season.  :'(

Hollywood

I will be watching Game of Thrones season 5 on TNT starting 15 Sept.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

lisa needs braces

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 02, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
And I'm eagerly, and emotionally, awaiting Downton Abbey's final season.  :'(

Haha.

Um, me too.

Mirror Image

I've been watching The Big Bang Theory and it enjoying it more and more. Great writing.

Ken B

Watching some Poirot. The older ones are better. Just watched The Clocks from season 12. I vaguely recall it being a weak book (I have read nearly all of Agatha Christie but eons ago). It's certainly a weak movie. Recently also watched The Mysterious Affair at Styles and Evil Under The Sun, which were very well done. Death on the Nile was middling, with some weak acting.

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on September 07, 2015, 02:09:45 PM
Watching some Poirot. The older ones are better. Just watched The Clocks from season 12. I vaguely recall it being a weak book (I have read nearly all of Agatha Christie but eons ago). It's certainly a weak movie. Recently also watched The Mysterious Affair at Styles and Evil Under The Sun, which were very well done. Death on the Nile was middling, with some weak acting.
Agreed on all counts.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 07, 2015, 07:12:35 AM
I've been watching The Big Bang Theory and it enjoying it more and more. Great writing.

Don't you feel the jokes were more or less used up in the first 3 or 4 seasons? I feel the writing is wearing thin and that the characters are becoming more end more stereotypical.

The new erato

Quote from: Ken B on September 07, 2015, 02:09:45 PM
The best books were done early on. I don't think they imagined doing them all when the series started. I've read more or less everything by Agatha Christie (though admittedly several decades ago), and there's no doubt that there are some pretty threadbare volumes amongst them.

Harry

Quote from: The new erato on September 07, 2015, 11:33:48 PM
The best books were done early on. I don't think they imagined doing them all when the series started. I've read more or less everything by Agatha Christie (though admittedly several decades ago), and there's no doubt that there are some pretty threadbare volumes amongst them.

Davis Suchet is the best performance I ever saw of Hercule Poirot. Despite the fact that that the acting of other actors is often mediocre, it remains the best ever interpretations of this series.
Currently I am doing Frost also, which I think is fabulous too, and Sherlock Holmes, Jeremy Brett being Sherlock, for me also the best interpretation.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

The new erato

Quote from: Harry's on September 08, 2015, 01:03:47 AM
Davis Suchet is the best performance I ever saw of Hercule Poirot. Despite the fact that that the acting of other actors is often mediocre, it remains the best ever interpretations of this series.
No doubt about that. It's just that not all books are equally good, and the later productions relied on some substandard plots and characters. I too like Frost BTW.