What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: -abe- on September 07, 2015, 12:11:53 AM
Haha.

Um, me too.

Have you seen the teaser trailer for the final season? I know you teared up a little! Admit it!  :'(  :D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 08, 2015, 06:12:05 PM
reposting from the Movie thread, which has me questioning why I posted it in there...

Absolutely loving this BBC mini-series production of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Top notch acting, writing and beautifully detailed sets and costumes. Only watched first two episodes on Amazon, first episode was a free download and I bought the second episode for my plane ride home. I will try to hold off until the Blue Ray is released in about a week, not sure I can hold out...

[asin]B00UA00E0Q[/asin]

Fantastic miniseries. And from what I've now heard is a fantastic book. Was like watching a 7 movie, it was so well made.

drogulus

I just started a rewatch of The Duchess Of Duke Street. Fans of Upstairs, Downstairs who haven't seen this series should go out and get it.

The remake of The Forsyte Saga seemed to be missing something compared to the original.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Harry's on September 08, 2015, 01:03:47 AM
Davis Suchet is the best performance I ever saw of Hercule Poirot. Despite the fact that that the acting of other actors is often mediocre, it remains the best ever interpretations of this series.
Quote from: The new erato on September 08, 2015, 01:09:25 AM
No doubt about that. It's just that not all books are equally good, and the later productions relied on some substandard plots and characters.
I agree. But I find the best parts are the characterizations and the atmosphere anyway. Sometimes, I care more about the result, but in Poirot the process is so fun that I just wish I could watch more of them.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Wakefield

I will need to write something about this series, but Crossbones is nothing lesser than mandatory as action TV series.

A completely revitalized vision of the old stories of pirates with superb performances, screenplay and production values.

Available via Netflix.

Do I need to say? Highly recommended.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gordo on September 08, 2015, 09:59:25 PM
I will need to write something about this series, but Crossbones is nothing lesser than mandatory as action TV series.

A completely revitalized vision of the old stories of pirates with superb performances, screenplay and production values.

Available via Netflix.

Thanks Gordo - Blackbeard's main 'stomping grounds' were off the Carolina coast; the North Carolina towns of Bath & Beaufort have tributes; his ship the Queen Anne's Revenge sunk near Beaufort which has the NC Maritime Museum and objects from ongoing underwater archeology of the ship are displayed there - he was killed near Ocracoke Island a short ferry ride from nearby Harker's Island.

Looking forward to your comments - the series would certainly interest me!  I can stream the first season from Amazon for $15 SD, but although a 'streaming member' of Netflix, the series is not listed when I search - are you streaming or getting the DVDs, if available, from Netflix?  Thanks - Dave

Wakefield

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 09, 2015, 06:58:37 AM
Thanks Gordo - Blackbeard's main 'stomping grounds' were off the Carolina coast; the North Carolina towns of Bath & Beaufort have tributes; his ship the Queen Anne's Revenge sunk near Beaufort which has the NC Maritime Museum and objects from ongoing underwater archeology of the ship are displayed there - he was killed near Ocracoke Island a short ferry ride from nearby Harker's Island.

Looking forward to your comments - the series would certainly interest me!  I can stream the first season from Amazon for $15 SD, but although a 'streaming member' of Netflix, the series is not listed when I search - are you streaming or getting the DVDs, if available, from Netflix?  Thanks - Dave

Hi,Dave! I'm watching this show as streaming member of Netflix, here in Chile.

It was listed some weeks ago and I have watched 7 episodes so far. I hope to write soon something about it.

Thanks for the info; it's very interesting, as usual.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Ken B

Quote from: Gordo on September 08, 2015, 09:59:25 PM

Available via Netflix.

Recdommended
[asin]0691150095[/asin]

Todd

The Knick.  Or, House M.D. ca 1900.  Set in filthy turn of century (20th Century usage) New York, Clive Owen plays a brilliant, drug addicted doctor with a thing for hookers and coworkers.  There's a pretty female hospital administrator.  And a black doctor with troubles.  Even the synth heavy-score is inspired by house music.  Then there's the politics.  There sure is a lot of focus of "reproductive health" - troubled pregnancies and a series-long side story about abortion.  How very now!

Complaints aside, it is well acted and expertly made.  Steven Soderbergh puts great image after great image on screen.  He's one of the few directors who can make handheld camerawork work.  The only device that grows tiresome is his penchant for shooting these giants of medicine from knee or waist height, lenses angled up.  Period detail is quite good, and the medical procedures are satisfyingly brutal and bloody.  It's good to see Max Headroom on screen again, too.  So, somewhat mixed, but I'll watch the next season.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

lisa needs braces

SonicMan46

Wife & I watching some TV series together - just finished the 4th season of Major Crimes; now just starting Longmire, which I've watched once before - she's enjoying so far.  Dave :)

The new erato

We're backlogged. Homeland season 4 (DVD), The Bridge season 3 (just started on TV), Downton Abbey final season (ditto, though I've not sure I will follow this, watched the first episode to keep the wife company). Just finished The Americans season 1 and have another season available on Netflix.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 08, 2015, 03:54:45 AM
Fantastic miniseries. And from what I've now heard is a fantastic book. Was like watching a 7 movie, it was so well made.

Just finished it and both my wife and I are enthusiastic about it.  Inventive script, absorbing dialogue, superb production values, but most of all the acting is TOP NOTCH.  So good I'm sorry it's over.

Ken B

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 29, 2015, 09:28:49 AM
Wife & I watching some TV series together - just finished the 4th season of Major Crimes;

George Lazenby. 

Daverz

Quote from: The new erato on September 29, 2015, 10:50:03 AM
The Bridge season 3 (just started on TV),

Did the American show get picked up somewhere for another season or is the Danish/Swedish one?

...was able to answer my own question:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(Danish/Swedish_TV_series)

Just finished The Americans season 1 and have another season available on Netflix.

One of the very best shows of recent years.  It's a bit fantastical (consciously so, I think), but the actors really sell it.

david johnson

I just finished 'Zoo' and have begun 'Gotham'.  Before that it was 'Blacklist'.  All have been enjoyable.

Wakefield

Last Thursday was premiered the first chapter ("The Troll Farmer) of The Blacklist's third season.

I started to watch it after Gurn's recommendation in this thread.  :)

-- Voltaire

Drasko

Recently finished 5th season of Game of Thrones, still immense fun but this season seemed bit thin script-wise.

Currently watching Crossbones, one episode to go. I like it. Malkovich is absolutely fantastic, I generaly like pirate stuff and overall story is quite good. But there are flaws: apart from Malkovich, Coyle and Foy (and psychotic turn from Julian Sands) I found the cast pretty weak, there is also too much plot at times, and DP is somehow managing to make the production look cheaper than it really is. Still shame it got cancelled. I would have enjoyed further mayhem by Malkovich's Blackbeard.

Was planning to watch next either 2nd season of Penny Dreadful or to start Luther but now I'm in the mood for more piracy. Has anyone seen Black Sails?

Daverz

Quote from: Draško on October 05, 2015, 01:18:56 PM
Recently finished 5th season of Game of Thrones, still immense fun but this season seemed bit thin script-wise.

The last book dragged horribly.  Instead of moving anything forward, he just adds annoying new characters and pointless plotlines.  The show is actually now ahead of the books.