What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Andre Braugher's performance on Brooklyn Nine-Nine is the finest, driest deadpan comedy performance since Leslie Nielsen played the doctor in Airplane!.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on October 05, 2015, 01:54:48 PMAndre Braugher's performance on Brooklyn Nine-Nine is the finest, driest deadpan comedy performance since Leslie Nielsen played the doctor in Airplane!.

Surely you can't be serious.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Wakefield

Quote from: Draško on October 05, 2015, 01:18:56 PM
Recently finished 5th season of Game of Thrones, still immense fun but this season seemed bit thin script-wise.

Currently watching Crossbones, one episode to go. I like it. Malkovich is absolutely fantastic, I generaly like pirate stuff and overall story is quite good. But there are flaws: apart from Malkovich, Coyle and Foy (and psychotic turn from Julian Sands) I found the cast pretty weak, there is also too much plot at times, and DP is somehow managing to make the production look cheaper than it really is. Still shame it got cancelled. I would have enjoyed further mayhem by Malkovich's Blackbeard.

Was planning to watch next either 2nd season of Penny Dreadful or to start Luther but now I'm in the mood for more piracy. Has anyone seen Black Sails?

Malkovich's speech in the last episode is one of the best pieces of rhetoric I have watched on screen. Truly fantastic.

Malkovich, Coyle and Foy are excellent: but I'd include Mr. Fletch too because friendship is essential to this kind of stories and he injects a necessary dose of naivety to this series.  :)

P.S.: Luther is an excellent choice, I totally enjoyed both seasons. Another BBC production I enjoyed was "The Hour"; unfortunately, it was cancelled after de second season, not to mention one of the best things I have watched on TV in the last years: "Utopia".  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Brian

Couple of good Braugher moments. Most are not on YouTube but the first is one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Zg93zJiHJOs

http://www.youtube.com/v/qNkcdm81PCs

Drasko

Quote from: Gordo on October 05, 2015, 03:18:53 PM
Malkovich's speech in the last episode is one of the best pieces of rhetoric I have watched on screen. Truly fantastic.

Malkovich, Coyle and Foy are excellent: but I'd include Mr. Fletch too because friendship is essential to this kind of stories and he injects a necessary dose of naivety to this series.  :)

P.S.: Luther is an excellent choice, I totally enjoyed both seasons. Another BBC production I enjoyed was "The Hour"; unfortunately, it was cancelled after de second season, not to mention one of the best things I have watched on TV in the last years: "Utopia".  :)

Yes, agreed, great speech.

Mr. Fletch as a character is definitely essential, what I had problem with is that some of the actors were really unconvincing in their roles: the boy who plays Fletch and the crippled Scot were actually decent, but Blackbeard's second in command, both of Blackbeard's love interests, the black pirate girl, the Madame ... poor, the lot of them.

I'll start Luther tonight, and thanks for mentioning The Hour that looks like something I might really like.

What is Utopia? Imdb lists three different series with that name.

Wakefield

Quote from: Draško on October 06, 2015, 02:30:41 AM
What is Utopia? Imdb lists three different series with that name.

This one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/

It's the mother of all conspiracy theories. Its trailers say almost nothing about the content, but at least you get some idea about its aesthetics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnN3WMwDsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdfJNIMGXx4

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Drasko

Quote from: Gordo on October 06, 2015, 03:05:32 AM
This one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/

It's the mother of all conspiracy theories. Its trailers say almost nothing about the content, but at least you get some idea about its aesthetics:

:-\ I'll check it out but I've never been too taken with conspiracy theory plots, not even The X-files.

Quote from: Draško on October 06, 2015, 02:30:41 AM
I'll start Luther tonight

I'm so fickle ...

Two episodes in and I'm quite liking the start of 2nd season, where first was all mysterious and hazy the second is more direct and scary.

Super Blood Moon

There are too many good TV series now. I wish they'd slow down a bit.  :(

Ken B

Over the past few weeks, Masters of Sex.

I liked season 1, despite some problems. Season 2 fell apart. Some excessively "writerly" dialogue, often poorly acted, a whirlwind of cliches, and a pretentious self importance creeping in. Oh, and no boob unseen! Not quite true; one actress we only see her right boob.

Wakefield

Quote from: Draško on October 08, 2015, 10:35:26 AM
:-\ I'll check it out but I've never been too taken with conspiracy theory plots, not even The X-files.

Me neither, even I never tried The X-files. But artistically Utopia is totally captivating.  :)
-- Voltaire

Ken B

Quote from: Draško on October 08, 2015, 10:35:26 AM

All the transparently crazy conspiracy plots on TV are actually a way of undermining anyone who knows about the real conspiracy. All of Hollywood is in on it.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wakefield

Quote from: Ken B on October 09, 2015, 05:08:31 AM
All the transparently crazy conspiracy plots on TV are actually a way of undermining anyone who knows about the real conspiracy. All of Hollywood is in on it.

I don't think so. If people don't have intellectual tools to  distinguish between reality and fiction, between proved facts and fiction, there is a problem in education and critical thinking, not a problem occasioned by "Hollywood," even if this industry is used as a tool of propaganda.
-- Voltaire

Todd

Sorta binge-watched the second season of The Americans.  Every bit as good as the first season, with only the implausibly long confession/monologue/reveal in the last episode as a weak spot.  Other than that, the season finale is deliciously cold.  And I just can't get enough Keri Russell.  I await season three.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

It's Columbo's Day Weekend!

As Americans know, Columbo's Day is the day (technically October 8, observed October 12) when we celebrate Lt. Columbo, the finest detective TV has ever seen. Be sure your household celebrates Columbo's Day in appropriate fashion, by watching an episode of Columbo and, if possible, indulging in other Columbo's Day activities like eating a bowl of chili, wearing a trench coat, smoking celebratory cigars, or naming your dog "Dog".

Ken B

Quote from: Gordo on October 10, 2015, 05:49:35 AM
I don't think so. If people don't have intellectual tools to  distinguish between reality and fiction, between proved facts and fiction, there is a problem in education and critical thinking, not a problem occasioned by "Hollywood," even if this industry is used as a tool of propaganda.

Litotes  Gordo.

Wakefield

Quote from: Ken B on October 10, 2015, 07:57:38 AM
Litotes  Gordo.

I know, but what I try to mean is that although a lot of conspiracy theories are plainly ridiculous; many of them share a quite true intuition, which shouldn't be discarded as a thing of wildly fanciful people.

In our world a lot of critic information is out of our reach or has been heavily manipulated before to reach us and, on the other hand, the Government ("helped" by large corporations and new technologies) knows everything about us...

So, probably, never before was so necessary to be critical about the information we receive; but, unfortunately, a vast majority believes uncritically every information that receives.  :)
-- Voltaire

Mr. Three Putt

I'm a bit of a binge watcher and feel I have a void to fill after finishing Breaking Bad. I try to stick to series already concluded, which is certainly a sign of the times. Game of Thrones made me break my rule and I'm a big fan, although season 5 was weaker than previous entries. I also recently devoured the three seasons of the American House of Cards in about 1 week. My guilty pleasures would have to be Trailer Park Boys and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Two shows I avoided like the plague until finally breaking down and realizing just how funny they are.

SimonNZ

Nearing the end of The Knick, which I think is remarkably good.

(glad, though, that they dialed back a bit on the doctor's-eye-view of the surgery after the shock of the first couple of episodes)