What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on October 10, 2015, 07:00:58 AM
It's Columbo's Day Weekend!

As Americans know, Columbo's Day is the day (technically October 8, observed October 12) when we celebrate Lt. Columbo, the finest detective TV has ever seen. Be sure your household celebrates Columbo's Day in appropriate fashion, by watching an episode of Columbo and, if possible, indulging in other Columbo's Day activities like eating a bowl of chili, wearing a trench coat, smoking celebratory cigars, or naming your dog "Dog".

Pffft. I solve it long before Columbo does. Every time.

The new erato

Quote from: Ken B on October 10, 2015, 05:16:52 PM
Pffft. I solve it long before Columbo does. Every time.
Happens with me too watching reruns.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

'Tis the season to travel through time and space with the Doctor!  8)

lisa needs braces

It's coming back for only six episodes in January. Look forward to it! (X-Files):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0

Todd

Quote from: -abe- on October 11, 2015, 11:49:55 PM
It's coming back for only six episodes in January. Look forward to it! (X-Files):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0

How do they bring back the smoking man?  One doesn't recover from a missile to the forehead.  Maybe flashbacks, which is tired.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on October 11, 2015, 05:26:58 PM
'Tis the season to travel through time and space with the Doctor!  8)

Amen. And Capaldi is doing fine work as The Doctor as well.

Brian

Celebrating Columbo's Day with my favorite episode ever, "A Friend in Deed."

This weekend I watched more Columbo for the holiday festivities: "Identity Crisis," "Any Old Port in a Storm."

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2015, 05:14:36 PM
Celebrating Columbo's Day with my favorite episode ever, "A Friend in Deed."

This weekend I watched more Columbo for the holiday festivities: "Identity Crisis," "Any Old Port in a Storm."

Which is that? I like the Ross Martin episode best (art critic).

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2015, 05:16:13 PM
Which is that? I like the Ross Martin episode best (art critic).
Oh the art critic one is great! This is the one where the murderer is Columbo's boss (Richard Kiley).

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on October 12, 2015, 05:25:04 PM
Oh the art critic one is great! This is the one where the murderer is Columbo's boss (Richard Kiley).

Yes that is good. And it's been a few years ....

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2015, 05:05:18 PM
Amen. And Capaldi is doing fine work as The Doctor as well.
This series has been consistently good! Capaldi was great last year, however disagreeable and uncertain his Doctor was, but now things have definitely settled in for sure. I'm looking forward to Zygons in a couple of weeks. 8)

lisa needs braces

The sixth season of TV's most absurd, addicting and pulpiest show. The program is basically soap opera for horror/thriller fans, and this is it's basic formula:

When our heroes being threatened by zombies gets tiring, switch things up by presenting conflict between characters or groups of humans. When the latter gets a bit tiring, switch it up with the former.

It works.

One thing to note though -- I think the series works best when binged through as it is heavily serialized. Nearly every episode ends on a cliffhanger or on a dramatically poignant note. I'm going to wait for the rest of the first half of this season to air (8 episodes) then watch them over a weekend.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Since when has 'marathon watching' become 'binge watching?' I assume that's what is meant by 'binge' here though, but I only ever hear it when people talk about TV shows. I've never heard this terminology until about two weeks ago.....

Brahmsian

Quote from: Daverz on April 27, 2015, 02:16:39 PM

Looking forward to:

Rectify, season 3.

Started watching Rectify last week, and already into season 3.  Love it!  :)

lisa needs braces

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on October 15, 2015, 11:42:43 PM
Since when has 'marathon watching' become 'binge watching?' I assume that's what is meant by 'binge' here though, but I only ever hear it when people talk about TV shows. I've never heard this terminology until about two weeks ago.....

In the last four or five years...at least since services like Netflix started featuring whole seasons of tv shows. It's also a term that Netflix's marketing campaign has embraced...they even depute their original shows by making every episode immediately available.

Speaking of Netflix productions, this just dropped today (and is being shown in a few theaters nationwide.) It looks good and I'll watch it over the weekend.

(film trailer for Beasts of No Nation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xb9Ty-1frw

SimonNZ

Finally catching up with Sports Night, being a pretty big Aaron Sorkin fan, and this being the only series of his I hadn't yet seen.

Very good, if not great, a little over the top at times, but fascinating being able to see Sorkin working through ideas regarding form and pace in dialogue and movement that would be perfected on The West Wing. Also fascinating to watch so many people who would later feature on TWW turn up in small roles all the way through this.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: -abe- on October 16, 2015, 02:45:30 PM
In the last four or five years...at least since services like Netflix started featuring whole seasons of tv shows. It's also a term that Netflix's marketing campaign has embraced...they even depute their original shows by making every episode immediately available.

Speaking of Netflix productions, this just dropped today (and is being shown in a few theaters nationwide.) It looks good and I'll watch it over the weekend.

Ah I see. Netflix only arrived in my country this year, so I can understand now the sudden additions to the semantic field regarding television watching.......

lisa needs braces

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on October 16, 2015, 08:14:21 PM
Ah I see. Netflix only arrived in my country this year, so I can understand now the sudden additions to the semantic field regarding television watching.......

understandable

Wakefield

Quote from: -abe- on October 16, 2015, 02:45:30 PM

I thought this is an interesting insight on the boycott against Beasts of No Nation: http://goo.gl/RM4HTQ
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

The Blacklist, Season 3, Episode 3: "Eli Matchett"

From the last episode of the past season, every new episode of The Blacklist is more implausible than the previous one..., and more freaking addictive.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire