What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: Gordo on October 17, 2015, 02:26:23 PM
The Blacklist, Season 3, Episode 3: "Eli Matchett"

From the last episode of the past season, every new episode of The Blacklist is more implausible than the previous one..., and more freaking addictive.

I've only seen the first season. Does the Megan character become less redundant? I kept wishing the show was just James Spader settling old scores on his own.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Gordo on October 17, 2015, 05:05:52 AM
I thought this is an interesting insight on the boycott against Beasts of No Nation: http://goo.gl/RM4HTQ

I'm too chickenshit to watch this movie. :(

Wakefield

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 17, 2015, 02:35:26 PM
I've only seen the first season. Does the Megan character become less redundant? I kept wishing the show was just James Spader settling old scores on his own.

Yes, Spader is fantastic, and -at some extent- Megan is doing her apprenticeship with him. But the nature of her character is a bit redundant, to be fair.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Daverz

No one has mentioned the new season of Fargo.  The direction is amazing, and the plot seems to be getting more Byzantine.  But I'm waiting to find out if the characters are as compelling.

Also, The Last KingdomVikings is the obvious comparison, though I think I like this more.

mc ukrneal

Currently in the middle of Season 1 of Endeavour. We saw the Pilot when it first came out, but have had a hard time finding time to watch much tv until recently. Great show. I particularly like his boss and their relationship. Very interesting, knowing the older Morse.
[asin]B00C888NFQ[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

david johnson

I'm in season 4 of 'Fringe' and enjoy it.  Earlier, I finished off Blacklist, Almighty Johnsons, Zoo, etc.  The very last scene in the Zoo finale has become one of my favorite tv moments.

Wakefield

Apparently, we will have a last taste of the "Gilmore Girls" at Netflix.

Gilmore Girls Limited-Series Revival Set at Netflix — This Is Not a Drill: https://hec.su/bQcY
-- Voltaire

Drasko

Quote from: Gordo on October 20, 2015, 08:24:53 AM

Love Gilmore Girls. One of my all time top ten TV series. Some of the fastest and funniest dialogue on TV.

Just finished 2nd season of Penny Dreadful and liked it very much, less impressionistic with clearer plot and characters than the first season, excellent cast (except Reeve Carney, unconvincing and bereft of any charisma), great atmosphere.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Wakefield

Quote from: Todd on October 20, 2015, 05:25:11 PM

Not a series, but it's on TV.

Last night I watched it. It's the most incorrect stand up comedian I have watched in a long time.

You need to be an authentic moralist (or a true SoB) to say all what this guy says.

An example of the question about what are the limits of humor brought to its logical conclusion.
-- Voltaire

timmdd

I watch cartoon series from Disney Channel and Cartoon network, so many good series!

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Gordo on October 17, 2015, 03:46:23 PM
Maybe me too!  :D

Re "Beasts of No Nation"

I saw the film and adored it. Yes, there are a few harrowing scenes of brutality and violence and the general subject matter might be depressing, but it doesn't wallow in these things and to me the film came off as being more interested in Terrence Malick like effects and flow. The young male soldier even narrates a la the voice overs in Malick's films. Also for a film that was shot for a reported $6 million it looks quite gorgeous, specially because of the lush natural setting.

It's a film I'll revisit in a few months.

Drasko

Surprisingly, I gave up on Luther after two episodes. Suspension of disbelief asked for on police procedural side of the show was just to big for me, and that coming from someone who likes Midsomer Murders.

Now watching something completely different, and liking it:

71 dB

The second Season of Extant and a Finnish police drama Roba on TV. I'm also re-watching MillenniuM on DVD while waiting for The X-Files Revival and Blu-ray box.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Started watching 2nd season of "The Americans" on Netflix a couple of days ago.

Todd

The Man in the High Castle.  Months ago, I watched the pilot episode and was unsure if the show would move forward since it was part of a trial program for Amazon.  Fortunately, it has been picked up, and the second episode has been released, and the rest of the series drops on 11/20/15.  The show is set in the US of 1962, years after losing the Second World War.  The states west of the Rockies are now the Japanese Pacific States, the states east of the Rockies are now the Greater Nazi Reich, and the Rockies are the neutral zone.  The plot revolves around some film that shows an alternate world that must be delivered to the man in the high castle to, well, who knows?  The show is dark, brooding, noir-ish, the production superb for a TV series, at least so far, and the filmmaking is very much film-like.  The mostly no-name actors do good work, and B-list actor Rufus Sewell, so good as Alexander Hamilton in John Adams, does his fair best as an American Nazi baddie.  I guess having Ridley Scott as an executive producer and X-Files alumnus Frank Spotnitz as producer helps in getting some things right.  Of course, the show requires one to forget about things like Midway and Stalingrad, but that's OK for a piece of alt-history fun.  The series may make me want to read the Philip K Dick original.  (I did read complaints that the show avoids the racial issues brought up by Dick, but the inclusion of Strange Fruit in the second episode indicates that it may not all be avoided, but dealt with more obliquely.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

zamyrabyrd

Reruns of Masterchef Australia. Cracker program!
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

SimonNZ

Finished season 2 of The Blacklist, which I thought was an improvement on season one.

In the middle of season 1 of Mammon, which after a plodding start has started to gain momentum and become quite good.

Mirror Image

I've been watching reruns of this sitcom:

Frasier, for me, is one of the greatest television shows of all-time regardless of the genre. While certainly a hilarious show, there were moments of seriousness that offset everything and made the show a bit more realistic for me.